• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Search results

1. B

Creating U.S. Helmet Texture?

I stripped a DID US helmet, replaced the brim strip from aluminum foil with one that is thinner and in scale (and not dented) but now I need to create some texture on the shell. In the past I've used surface primer (Mr. Surfacer 500) and stippled it with an old brush. However, I can't seem to...
  2. B

US Brass Webbing End Tabs: Painting/weathering question

I am using Armorpax photo etch US buckles and end tabs set and trying to get a decent patina finish on the brass like real WWII US Army gear. I tried A-West Blacken-It but it did not do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make the clean photo etched brass look like real US brass...
  3. B

Soldier Story KAR 98 Metal and Wood

I was thinking of purchasing one of the new SS metal and wood KAR 98's. Anyone have one already willing to give their opinion. At $20 it looks like a better deal than $45 for the Ti-Lite which has some issues that I mentioned in this post...
  4. B

New Line German Ankle Boots...soles too thick

I really like the realism of NLM boots but the German ankle boots with gaiters have a ridiculously thick sole. I remember reading how someone had thinned the soles and I wanted to get some tips on how this may be done before I start tearing apart a pair of $18.00 boots. The gaiters are way too...
  5. B

Glory Ventures Insignia Help Needed

Just received a set of Glory Venture SS Insignia and wanted to get some advice on the best adhesive to use on these embroidered collar tabs. I couldn't find any instructions anywhere. Maybe Fabri-Tac, White Glue, Spray Adhesive? Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks, -Kevin
  6. B

Resealable fabric adhesive needed

I'm searching for some way to button up and re-open uniforms without the use of the bulky snaps used by the manufacturers. The only idea I have come up with is double sided tape but it is not a very strong bond. Anyone have any other ideas how to do this? Thanks, -Kevin
  7. B

DML KAR98 with grenade launcher?

I have a question about the DML KAR98 with grenade launcher. The most recent release of this item was with Hans Meisser and in the box description it says the launcher is fitted and the box photo shows it attached to the end of the barrel. However, when I saw a photo online from an e-tailer it...
  8. B

What's WSS

I've seen this abbreviation a few times and was wondering what the "W" stands for? Thanks, -Kevin
  9. B

Who makes the best M42 Airborne Uniform?

I was wondering what everyone's favorite M42 Airborne uniform was? I have been out of the 1/6th scene for awhile (was working on 1/35 German armor) and it appears there has been a lot of M42 releases recently. I have 2 DML Dan Summers unis and was curious to know if they are now considered...
  10. B

Small round brass discs

Anyone know where I can find some of those small round brass discs used on DML and DID uniforms for button snaps? Thanks, -Kevin
  11. B

Weathering NLM leather products?

Anyone know a good way to weather Newline Miniatures leather products like boots and pistol holsters? They sell custom weathered products that look pretty cool and was curious to know if they did anything special other than just sanding, oil washes and pigments? They say it is "treated" but I'm...
  12. B

Where to buy 1/6th Dio products

I'm venturing into making some small base dios for some figures and wanted to know where I can purchase some small round bases and what companies make 1/6th dio products. I'm looking for simple things like bricks, rocks, trees, stumps etc. Thanks, -Kevin
  13. B

Heer Panzergrenadier

I've wanted to make a Wehrmacht figure with a Splittermuster Tarnhemd for a long time but was unable to find one. DML made only one and it was very hard to find. Thankfully, Toys City produced an excellent version in their clothing line. I purchased it as a loose piece along with the summer...
  14. B

Totenkopf MG Gunner

3d SS-Panzer Division "Totenkopf" MG 42 Gunner Here's my 2nd figure. It looks like a straight forward custom, however, it was a very tedious process to create. But then again what about this hobby isn't tedious? DML body slimmed the "Castlebrimstone" method DML HS redone using make-up, pastels...
  15. B

SS-Oberschutze 2d SS-Panzer Division "Das Reich"

Hey all, This is my first completed figure and my first time posting on a site. I spent a long time practicing many techniques in order to create a realistic look. I want to thank Loco SS and Takashi for all their help and for creating an exceptional blog (blog.castlebrimstone.com). Their work...
Back