• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Anybody do anything with DID's old metal 251/C?

Ortona

Marksman
Like, say, rework the rear armor plating. I picked up a discounted camo version from Toychest and Collectables ages ago, with a damaged front suspension and track, and haven't yet done anything with it. Thinking about a 251/2 mortar carrier version. Did anyone else get one?

Yes, I bought one of the DiD "Hanomags" back in 2008. A heavy piece of work that required much additional work in order to get it into a display condition - particularly the interior (the attached pic was how I displayed it as part of a larger diorama during ScaleACT 2016). It's still taking up shelf space for another occasion though I do intend to repaint and detail it now that I've got a new spray contraption (and some new learned skills since its original paint job). Steve

Attachments

• 171938550.jpg
    171938550.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 52
The front wheel bracket is extremely fragile and the structure is unreasonable. The central axle of the wheel is a screw rod, which is incredibly short, so the wheel cannot rotate and the installation is very unreliable.The metal used to support the wheels is of poor quality and fragile.Because the whole car is made of metal material, the body is heavy and difficult to process, but the key weight-bearing parts are inferior materials. This design is unreasonable, which only shows that DID has no conscience, and it is really a shame for Chinese enterprises

Agree entirely, it somehow goes against a common sense approach despite a nice outwardly appearance the materials used (and the total weight thereof) and its length makes it an unwieldy model to move around easy single-handedly. Though the wheels and tracks rotate it's best not to even try it; purely a static display. Steve

I put mine tigether about 10 years ago. The weight was a proble.. Then about 5 years ago I noticed it had rusted badly, so I repainted it. Then about two years ago I realuzed the suspension had collapsed. Took all the rear wheels off, reglued and the fixed in place the wheels to make it presentable.
I did sone alterations to the interior, but did not mess with the pointy rear. It is an adequate vehicle, but the amount if work even without tackling the major problem was gigantic. I still like the vehicle. Useful for 1941-1943 set ups...

wow Eduardo, with that amount of work you should open your own business restoring DiD SdKfz 251s. I haven't noticed any rust yet (noting I had given the model a complete new paintjob after I bought it though I did have to repair a track link. The weight of the model (and the length if carrying alone) are my pet hates with this one but as you indicated it does have its uses and I have several people here who are always interested to know if I'd part company with it and for how much so it must be considered a collectable I guess?. Cheers, Steve

Back