• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Howard Zermann , 13th Canadian Artillery Regiment, Juno Beach, D-Day + 2

Ortona

Marksman
This is what a Canadian artillery crewmen looked like fully loaded, fighting in the Normandy campaign. The 13th CAR came ashore on D-Day, but this fellow is a replacement, who came ashore two days later. We know this, because only those Canadian troops who came ashore on Day one, were issued the new Canadian buckle-top assault boots and the Mark III turtle helmet. The "newbies" wore the old-fashioned gear, due to shortages. He wears the P1937 rifle cartridges, as did most Commonwealth troops who's primary job was not fighting in a rifle regiment, and would thus not be required to carry Bren Gun ammunition or mortar rounds. Since nobody has produced a pair of these pouches yet, I used an uber-rare DID WWI era, P-1908 5-pocket ammo-pouch which came with Albert Brown. I simply snipped the threads off holding the upper two pockets off, and scratch built the long equipment strap. Early Canadian manufacture rifle pouches did not have the crimped lower pouch that the British ones did. This is good, since I can't make a crimp worth a darn. All his gear has been repainted with a Vallejo's Khaki Grey/ Green Ocher mix, to get that new, dark un-Blanco-ed - natural webbing hue. I call him Gunner Howard Zermann (Joke: Howitzer Man). The rest of his equipment is the Dragon King and Country line.

It's hard to see in the photos, but the trousers were died greenish, while the tunic was not. The exposed-button tunic was the "economy" model jacket, made only by Britain, so it stayed brown. Canadian artillery regiments were given numbers, not names, so the CAR's had no regimental shoulder patches, as other service units didn't have any either. Therefore, he wears a 3rd Canadian Infantry patch (a simple blue-grey rectangle) and a rectangular "Canada" flash. There was a slip-on "13th CAR" patch that was worn on the epaulet, but I haven't made one yet. Replacements might have had to wait until the fighting cooled down to get a pair. But without it, Howie could be a truck driver, a clerk, a half-track mechanic, etc. The sculpt is a tried and true Dick Winters head.

The background cloth is a super-awesome replica British paratrooper Denison Jacket made by the outfitters "What Price Glory". I am not a re-enactor, but I just love having and wearing such a cool garment made in big boy sizes. It is the zip front officers's version with knit sleeves. It was only $135, and the colors are spot on.

0-6 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-7 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-5 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-3 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Here's what's left of one of the DID 5-pocket pouches. They can be used to make another pair of 2-pocket pouches, but cutting the center pouch out and attaching the end pockets together. You can also see the difference in color between DID natural cloth and the painted altered pouches.

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Helmet on, and don't drop it!

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-8 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-9 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-11 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-12 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

"Last round!" Empty shells are brass tubing with brass painted Canadian coins glued on the base. Thanks also Johnny Canuck Canada!!!

0-13 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Howard's buddy, lorry/limber driver James Jones, came ashore on D-Day. He wears the "assault boots", but has chosen to wear his service cap, primarily because I lack a Mark III turtle helmet for him. Note he wears the 13th Regt./FD shoulder insignia. He wears gloves, because he does double duty as second loader on his 25-pounder, and as such, he has to handle hot brass.

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-5 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

He wears the driver issue ammo pouch, worn on the side so as to free up the steering wheel. He also has a water bottle on hangers, and a second model respirator bag worn slung.

0-6 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Note the 13th Field Division, "13 FD" slip.

0-7 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Close up of the invasion assault boots, made by Johnny Canuck. He altered NLM US M43 boots to make them. The black paint needs to be retouched on the buckle strap, I see:

0-8 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Right side. Hard to see the bottle hangers under his arm.

0-9 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really nice touch there with the Canadian coins serving as the bases of arty shells. Getting to be a good series of British and Dominion figures. Thanks for sharing, Steve

Back