• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Major Freddy Gough, Comdr 1st Airborne Recce Squadron, Arnhem, 1944.

Ortona

Marksman
The 1st Airborne Recce's task was to seize the Arnhem Bridge by a lightening-fast "Coup de Main" jeep attack, via the northern most of three roads, the "Duitsekampweg" road, that led into the city of Arnhem. But the delay in removing the jeeps from their gliders allowed the germans to set up a blocking force - Kampf-Gruppe Kraft - in elevated woods, just behind a small clearing where the paved road turned into a dirt path. On their right flank was a high railway embankment that confined the leading elements to the north, and blinded them to the bloody ambush ahead. Two jeeps of C Troop were wiped out , scuttling the squadron's mission in just a few minutes. Gough was not there, but instead received orders at the landing zone to join General Roy Urquhart immediately. Unable to find his commanding officer, Freddy and his batman and eight others drove all over Oosterbeek trying to find him, leaving the squadron leaderless for the rest of the battle. Eventually, Gough ran into Major John Frost of 2 Para, on the southernmost route, and decided to tag along with them to the bridge. Ironically, only two of the 35 jeeps made it to the bridge. Gough was the second ranking officer at the bridge. The remaining jeeps fought as infantry for the rest of the battle and were scattered nearly everywhere in the Oosterbeek perimeter.

Gough was at the bridge when Hauptsturmfuher Grabner's 9th SS Recon Battalion tried to cross from the southern side and was wiped out, as made famous in the film "A bridge Too Far". Gough reportedly removed the Vickers K-Gun from his jeep, and used it manually to help massacre the German column from the tall buildings overlooking the northern bridge ramp, over the course of hours.

I have used the Cyber Hobby head sculpt of Harvey Basil to portray Major Gough.

Here's Freddy at the drop zone, in Wolfheze, on the Duitsekampweg Road, the northernmost planned trail to the Arnhem Bridge.

0-9 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-8 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-17 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-15 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-14 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-10 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-22 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-20 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Give 'em hell Freddy! Great use of a k-gun!

Love what you are doing with the brits and allies.

Back