• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Ranger assault vest question

panzerwerk

Administrator
these questions were asked in another thread , and would love your input Mr Volstad .

1) Who and what purpose was the vest made for? It couldn't have been Ranger exclusive as I've read here and elsewhere that the 29th Infantry also wore it on D-day, and what purpose in mind was it made for?

2) Were there any "official" regulations on what went into each pouch? Like, a pouch for grenades, one for clips/magazines, one for medical supplies, etc. I know there is a place for the E-tool and the bayonet. Were these regulations followed, or did the soldiers who wore them pretty much put what they felt was neccessary for them to fight?

3) How long was it worn, and how common were they? I've read somewhere that they were discarded soon after D-day for whatever reasons. Is this true, or were there enough troopers who held onto their vests? Was the vest a common sight among the Rangers, or whoever else wore them, or was it uncommon? Or is it in reality rare, only us 1/6th guys are infatuated with them?

4) The DML Ranger fig, Captain Miller, is wearing his belt and gear under the vest. The bbi fig, Hoppy Bell, is wearing his cartridge belt over the vest. Which is correct, or was it preference?

5) Finally, did they see use in the PTO, or were they a ETO thing?

Ah, this is an easy one. The truth is, your former moderator of this department is generally considered the most knowledgeable about such subjects. Thus you've received the bulk of your answers in the other thread.

1. See the previous thread
2. I don't know of any stowge guidelines. I expectit was a matter of doing what one felt best. Certainly, period photos seem to show a bit of confusion.
The vest was held in place by two quick release web tabs and yet sopme soldiers wor e their pistol or rifle belt over the vest, thus negating the quick release benefits. Still others wore their lifebelt overtop. Obviously, withthe vest worn over all other equipment, it could be removed quickly if the situation warranted it.

3. The vest doesn't seem to have had much use betond the immediate days after the landings. It was really another layer of clothing and as such, was hot to wear. It was seldom correctly fitted and was generally found to be uncomfortable. However, in those first few days, the vest would have been quite common. It does seem to be a bit of a 1/6th infatuation, rather in the manner of Italian camo being used by the Wehrmacht etc. It was doen, common in some situations and non-existant in most others. :)

4. Once there was an opportunity, the gear was squared away for ground combat and if the vest was kept, usually the belt was worn over the vest to help keep it in place (not to mention easy access to the cartridge belt.

5. The USMC apparently tested some examples but found the vest unsuitable for use in the Pacific. I'm not aware of any Army usage.

"Spearheading D-Day by Jon Gawne has pretty much fully covered the subject, FWIW.

Back