• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Wireless Sets No.38 Mk. 1, 2, 3 & AFV for 1/6th

Johnny Canuck

Battalion Commander
Wireless Sets No.38 Mk. 1, 2, 3 & AFV for 1/6th

Well the other day Pz sent me off on a mission to get some info on radios for the Recce Stu probably just to get rid of me! Eh!??

Delved into it a bit, this is what I've come up with so far.
Stu Recce would have had a No.19 with a WS No.38 hardwired into it. When the tank had a turret the radios were located there, but the Recce has no turret and now we need Stowage plans for a Recce M5 Canadian.
For now I'll dwell on the No.38 Set, the version that was mounted in tanks differed from the Infantry model in a number of ways. Main difference is the WS No.38 AFV was comprised of 2 units, the 'Set Unit' and the 'Power Supply & LF Amplifier Unit'.

The top units are BBI Caldwell WS No.38 Mk2 and a PanzerWerks Dogbone from the No.19 WS Set. Below it is an actual WW2 WS No.38 AFV set. These were usually mounted on top of the No.19 Set, the units can also be stacked but this would require a cable instead of the Dogbone.

I'll show the differences later, but for now lets look at the WS No.38 AFV.

WS No.38 AFV Set

wsno38afv.jpg

WS No.38 AFV 'Set Unit'

wsno38afvsetunit.jpg

WS No.38 AFV 'Power Supply & LF Amplifier Unit'

wsno38afv2powersupplyan.jpg

Infantry WS No.38 Sets

Wireless Set No.38 Mk1

The offset at the back was to accommodate the battery when carried in the appropriate case. In later Mk's the load was split in half with the WS remaining in the Harness and the battery carried in the Small Pack with a spare in the Satchel Signals.

wsno38mk1.jpg

wsno38mk1canvas.jpg

WS No.38 Mk.2

This is the Wireless Set represented by the BBI Caldwell unit, the BBI WS set is actually very accurate for something in this scale. The biggest difference between Mk.2's that I've noticed is the addition or elimination of the Test Circuit located beside the Aerial Socket. Another minor detail is the routing of the power supply cable it varies; on some it's loose and on others it is mechanically fastened to the upper housing.

wsno38mk2.jpg

wsno38mk2a.jpg

wsno38mk2b.jpg

wsno38mk2c.jpg

wsno38mk2test.jpg

wsno38mk2test2.jpg

WS No.38 Mk.3

This unit was a late war development that was a sealed unit mainly intended for jungle warfare in the Far East against the Japanese. I've never heard mention of it's operational use in NWE 1944-45 or anywhere else during WW2.

wsno38mk32.jpg

wsno38mk33.jpg

wsno38mk3.jpg

wsno38mk3calibratorscry.jpg

Wearing the WS No.38

Next comes wearing the WS No.38, I'm currently aware of two methods.
The first was described by Tony Barton and would appear to be the method used early in the conflict. The WS was suspended on a web brace with a large hook on each end. The hooks were fastened to the sides of the WS and the strap was placed over the head onm the back of the neck. The WS would now hang in the middle of the chest and the Web Carrying Harness strap was then secured around the chest.

no38webtony.jpg

The other method is from a Canadian Manual and requires a 37 Web Brace Extension and a Brace Hook. The left Universal Pouch was removed, the Brace Hook was fastened into the upper part of the left brace and the Extention was fitted to the brace and equipment belt. The WS with the aerial farthest away from the body was hung off the Brace Hook and the Harness chest strap was then fitted.
One can see why they adopted the Brace Hook over the Shoulder Strap as the saving in material is significant, only 1 hook and a minimum of web material.
The BBI Set comes with a Shoulder Strap that that can be modified into 2 Brace Hooks or used as intended.

no38bracehook.jpg

wsno38mark2canadian.jpg

A missing item from the BBI Set.

Aerials Case.

The aerial case contained 3 rods 50" long that when connected could make one 12' aerial or a short 4' aerial. It was not recommended to use an 8' aerial, no reason was given for this.
In battle situations a 12' aerial was a little too conspicuous and a ground aerial could be used oriented in the direction of the station you are transmitting to, with a second choice of away from the receiving station.

wirelessaerialcase.jpg

wsno38mark2showingaeria.jpg

Accessory Items WS No.38

Headphones
headset3.jpg

From underneath.

headset2.jpg

Splicing and sealing of joints.

headsetconnections.jpg

Ear piece, wire frame and web strap.

headsetearpiece.jpg

Throat Microphone. Allowed hands free operation.

kgrhqfice1nosg3mbncjj2e.jpg

Hand held Microphone, usually associated with No.18's, 19's and tanks.

Canadian

microphoneno3canadian.jpg

British

microphoneno3british.jpg

microphoneno3canadianbr.jpg

And how does this all relate to the World of 1/6th?
I'd say they nailed it almost 100%, only things missing or incorrect are the length of the supplied aerial, lack of 3 sections to make a 12' aerial, a ground aerial and the aerial case.

bbiwsno38mk2complete.jpg

bbiwsno38mk2headmicjunc.jpg

On to the WS No.18.

JC

Oh pray don't tell! Brit Sh t's Cooler!
product10239_49.jpg

Back