Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Ground Pounders

Ground Pounders Showcase of 1:6 Figure Projects

Old 06-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

Project - 'Currahee' - the lost scene

G'day all,

For those not familiar with the series of Project 'Currahee' threads from last year, I had put together 20 dioramas covering the U.S. 101st 'Screaming Eagles' airborne division during their time in Normandy, however; only 19 vignettes went in as some of the parts required for Scene 2 'Saddle-Up' had not arrived in time (appearing in my mailbox two weeks after the show). Though the diorama was not on show, I had the adjoining information panel there for all to read with an apology for the lack of figures to illustrate the scene.

Deciding to take a small break from this year's Project 'Wehrmacht on the move', I thought I'd complete the scene thus completing the series from last year. 'Saddle-up' is a term used by U.S. paras to...well...gear-up...donning the wherewithal to jump into Nazi-occupied France and the equipment to then fight it out with the German coastal units.

When 'saddling-up' paras work in pairs (and still do) in order to ensure the paratrooper's equipment is checked for proper snug fitting and that all the equipment worn under is secured just so in order to avoid as best as possible any snags when the chute deploys, when done so, the trooper he assisted then assists him likewise. Working in pairs speeds-up the process given it is awkward to fit and check your own gear.

For Normandy, every aircraft had a 'jumpmaster' or 'stick' commander - normally the senior ranking amongst the paratroopers on the plane - in this case a 1st lieutenant in-charge of stick '25' (the C47 also so labelled to avoid confusion in aircraft allocation) as indicated by the cardboard sign around his neck. His role to ensure all those under his charge are good to jump prior to boarding before he himself is helped into his rig. Back to this year's efforts, enjoy, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170766854.jpg (139.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 170766853.jpg (153.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 170766852.jpg (153.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 170766851.jpg (111.1 KB, 16 views)
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote