Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
toyrific
Company Commander

Axis Munition Boxes & Rounds Part 2 (88 Flak/Panther)

Hi Guys

Hope you found Part 1 interesting. Here is Part 2 covering the 88 mm Flak 18-36-37 and Panther.

The 88 mm Flak had over 25 different rounds which will not be covered here. I will just deal with the boxes and a couple of the rounds.

88 mm Flak 18-36-37 Munition Boxes and Containers.
Box type 1. Three Round Wicker Container.
When I first made the prototype/master of the three round wicker container I had not finished fully researching it and I got it wrong. I first posted it here in Oct 2006. Shortly after the posting I found out that I had made a mistake and put it's release on hold until a new master could be made. About three months later CH released their version of the basket, German Ammo Set 1. Funny how they made the same mistake I did. The mistake is in the wood posts the hold the wickerwork. In my prototype/master I had these evenly spaced, as did CH. The real one as you will see from the following pictures the center wickerwork is wider than to two outside ones. Coincidence or copy. At that time I was also not aware the this wicker container was for the 88 mm Flak and not used for Tiger 1 rounds and never mentioned it in my post. CH release of the sets shows a Tiger 1 in the background which is misleading and proves they did not research very well, otherwise there should have been a 88 mm Flak as a background picture.

To see my original post go to:
Link:88 mm Three Round Wicket Container

CH German Ammo Set 1

My prototype/master. Which will hold both HE and AP rounds.

Now for the real ones.

Box type 1. Three Round Wicker Container with center wood posts on outside. Note the center wickerwork is wider.

With 88 mm HE Round, not the container is as long as the round, which means the shorter AP round will fit into it as in the wooden boxes for the Tiger 1 an 2.

88 mm Flak with wicker containers.

88 mm Wicker Containers stacked for use, note there is a round wicker container in the pile. I have no information on this, but they were used.

A big stack of containers

Box type 2. Three Round Wicker Container without wood posts on the outside.

Box type 3. Three Round Wood Box with end lid.

With HE Round

Box end view showing rounds. Note sure which rounds these are but they do have a different primer from that used on the Tiger 1.

Three Round Wood Boxes stacked for use.

Box type 4. Single Round Metal Container.

88 mm Flak's in action with discarded metal containers.

My offering of the metal container. Note my design will hold the HE and AP rounds.

Box type 5. Another type of Single Round Metal Container.

Wicker Container Dump and dead horse. Lots of types, maybe a dump for pickup to recycle.

Panther.

Box type 1. Two Round Box with hinged lid.

With two AP rounds I think.

Panther AP Round.

Box type 2. Single Round Metal Container.

Distroyed Panther with round laying in front of it.

That's it for part 2. Part 3 coming up covering the Panzer IV, Stug III and Stug IV.

Hope your all holding out okey, it's a long read, think how long it to to do it.

Mike