Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Edward Stiner Headsculpt

Hi,

Can i ask what people think of the new DiD headsculpt for the Edward Stiner figure?
Because to be honest, to me it looks like an unpainted head made from some sort of translucent plastic.

It just looks strange to me, when it is placed next to another DiD head.

Gary
Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

I think DiD is trying to get a more realistic skin look.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
DasReich
Rifleman

I agree the Stiner sculpt doesnt look good at all especially next to that other DiD sculpt.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

My the one on the right looks so life like I had to really take a good look at it to be sure
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Company Commander

Sorry DiD corp, I really disliked this head. Not only from the stand point this guy is just plain ugly, but the face is out of proportion the eyes are sunken too far back, too close together, looks like the guitar playing kid from "Deliverance". I had bought heads even before I got my figures in hand. Not even a good repaint could fix this one boys! and girls...
.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Vince
Rifleman

And what's wrong with playing the banjo?
All my family plays them! Must admit having crossed eyes makes seeing the strings not so easy.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308";p=&quot View Post
Sorry DiD corp, I really disliked this head. Not only from the stand point this guy is just plain ugly, but the face is out of proportion the eyes are sunken too far back, too close together, looks like the guitar playing kid from "Deliverance". I had bought heads even before I got my figures in hand. Not even a good repaint could fix this one boys! and girls...

Hmmmm, I have had a couple folks mention that he resembles me
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Company Commander

Oh my! Should I say I'm sorry for my foregone conclusion?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Kate B.
Machine Gunner

I haven't bought the Stiner figure yet. I thought the sculpt looked realistic, but I have not seen it up close, just in pictures. I bought DiD's sniper sculpt, and I was a bit dissapointed. The head was very small, and the color was darker and pinker than shown in DiD's pictures. Did anybody else think this too?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #10
arbomambo
Company Commander

I have a couple of observations on the headsculpt...
First, I agree with Gary about the 'skin tone'....it seems DiD did something 'new' on this sculpt...this translucent skin...it doesn't appear to be painted , but molded in this color...i haven't tried to strip it yet, so I'm not sure...the eyes are painted, and the beard is 'flocked' on...Before I recieved the HS and had heard that this was a flocked beard, I had serious reservations (the previous 'real' hair DiD sculpts cometo mind)...
But the flocked beard really doesn't look too bad at all...even though the color of the beard is 'bold', the actual flocking is understated and comes off pretty well...
Another issue that people seem to have (mind you, these are folks who don't actually have the figure, and dressed in appropriate garb), is the length of the neck, proportionate to the rest of the sculpt.
Photos on the DiD site and various Etailer's sites really accentuate this feature..
But, in hand, and dressed, with or without the steel pot, the sculpt looks pretty good...in fact, it's a refreshing difference from the standard 'Hollywood', chiseled featured sculpt...
Whether folks find his visage to their liking or not is purely subjective...some of us want sculpts that are 'less than handsome' as well as the standard industry sculpts...others don't care for this...
If you're one of those that believe Steiner is a 'homely' type, well, at least his momma loves him!
Here are some pics taken to show how his sculpt looks on the dressed figure, as well as some close ups to feature the sculpt...
These pics still don't show to advantage the 'skin' feature that Gary has mentioned...

I might as well comment on the rest of the figure and gear...

The body is the standard DiD body, which, IMO, is the biggest disappointment of all DiD figures...although the body articulates well, and the new hand/wrist connections are a major improvement...these bodies suffer from a lack of stiffness, that almost demands a stand to keep them upright...the 'hunch-chest' REALLY holds back this body...a pectoral region so 'developed' that it stands way too proud of the rest of the figure...making the fit of any garment a tight one...it really requires surgery to slim it and let all uniforms hang in a natural way...

The M42 is the regular DiD M42, as released with all their previous US paratrooper figs., this time in the 'D-Day' re-enforced version, but w/o the rigger added pocket added to the left shoulder, a la 'Corbin Black'...
The zipper and pull is still very big, which detracts a little from the overall decent cut of this uniform...
The cut is a little less baggy than the pinnacle Dan Summers/ James Gordon DML one...but it does share some good features, one being the lack of center stitching in the top two pockets, allowinf the hanging of all types of gear...
The neck closure is as good as useless...seeing as how it is very difficult to fasten it at the neck on any figure with no garment underneath, and pretty near impossible to fasten it when the figure is wearing a shirt underneath the jacket. My advice is to remove the fastening hardware and leave the collar open as seen in just about every pic of troopers in the field during the D-day campaign...leaving the collar open also allows the figure to wear the scarf provided...
speaking of which....although a camo parachute-material scarf has been long desired (all the BBi 'Will Bailey' samples, taken from his T-5 parachute, are long gone)...this one is a little of a let down...
as one can see in the close-up photos...it's more of a 'net' material...like a British face veil...it really doesn't look good...except at a distance...

I'm very surprised that no one who has this figure in hand has mentioned the 'new' DiD corcorrans...
I really hope this isn't a trend, as DiD has taken a big step backwards here...the corcorrans on my 'Steiner' figure are not made of the same material as the previously released corcorrans...it's now a thin, almost 'plastic' material, that really looks bad...although it's still laced, it really gives the boot a strange shape...even the vinyl DML corcorran has a better shape than this 'new' boot...

Some new goodies ( welcome, at least to me) are included w/ Steiner
rigger poches (w/ the DiD 'lift-the-dots')
a new rigger ammo pouch w/sling (for the Grease gun mags)
Wrist compass
M6 fighting knife w/sheath
angled flashlight
mess kit w/utensils
the improved suspenders w/ 'felt' pads
the 'Grease Gun' and the folding stock carbines- bot of which are let downs...the grease gun is moded in one piece, the wire stock doesn't extend, nor does the bolt latch cover open; the molding is also a little chunky...my advice is to replace it with a DML 'Josh Ackerman' version...just cut down the barrel a bit...
The M1A1 paratrooper carbine is also incorrect for this time period...it has a bayonet net mounting lug on the barrel ( not easy to grind off) and the stock re-enforcing/gun oil/dleaning plate is off and lacks detail...again, replace it w/ the DML 'Laird' SAS version...
The scabbard, however is a welcome item and is pretty well represented by DiD...
Another item that DiD has improved is their assault gas mask bag...
gone is the thick, glossy, stiff material...now the bag resembles, very much,the very nice DML 'Mike Connelly'/ 'Brandon Chase' bag...AND it's a little smaller, which is more accurate...
A new 'red' smoke grenade completes the 'new' items

Other previously seen items include:
shortened entrenching tool and cover
.45 mag pistol belt pouch
M1911 .45 pistol and holster
canteen and cover
braided rope
metal frag grenades
cloth M1936 pistol belt
Musette bag
Mae West 'inflated' life vest...( I never could understand DiD's 'slant' on this...)
And, the best M1 steel pot helmet available in 1/6th scale...PERIOD! (released, again with the paratrooper style liner w/ chinstrap hardware, and in a nice paitned camo pattern)

altogether, a very 'mixed' bag on this release...this seems to be DiD's MO...
DiD really teases us with a figure release that is well-stocked...with some REALLY excellent items (M1 Helmet-cloth pistol belt-web gear w/ ltd fateners-'decent' M42 jump suit-nice musette bag, and VERY welcome carbine scabbard)...
...then...
tarnish it with a couple of real stinkers ( in this case, the two auto-weapons...and, sadly, the boots)
Bruce
Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

I got to check him out today but passed because of the price a local retailer has on him ($100.00) I really like the sculpt but not too sure on the new skin look. I think they are on the right track just need to tweak it a bit. I don't know if you guys saw the post on the OSW a while ago but some guy recast some head sculpts with a similar translucent skin and they were probably the most realistic HS to date, if I didn't know they were figures I would have sworn they were the real thing.

I did like the flocking on the face I really thought it was a nice touch. As far as the rest of the figure goes it's awesome I have to get one before they are gone. I agree with Bruce The thing brought up about the length of the neck IMHO is not a problem I think seeing it on an undressed figure makes it look bad. Even if it was a little long I have been swapping heads on figures for many years and removing a little material to shorten it up is probably the easiest thing to do.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Company Commander

As far as the head sculpt goes No he is no "pretty boy" and that is a plus to me, but something still look disproportionate to me. I myself do prefer the more normal looking people (flaws and all) not the Hollywood pretty boys. What I do like about it is the flocking it is less than the A Ross figure. I also like the fact that the detail in the face is not covered in paint hiding details.

As for the rest of the kit that comes with this figure it is a mixed bag and agree with some of the others. In my opinion I will highlight what I did like and what I didn't.

I feel the biggest improvement is the M36 suspenders. I really like the new hardware. It is still not 100% perfect but what I do like about these is that it is not out of scale. They are not sewn on like the DML, nor is it made of "clunky" plastic. The D rings are movable, although care does need to be taken if you want the D ring to lay forward as it would if the mussette bag wasn't clipped to it.

I do like the uniform. The name tape will have to go as I feel it is too out of scale. I'm not going to debate who has the best, as I have not seen all the makers and releases of M42's but I will say that I have always liked the quality of the DiD uniforms. To each their own. I will agree I don't like the hook and eye's at the collar.

A comment has been made about the joints, at least with the three figures I have removed from the box all of them have had stiff joints. That is an improvement but I also agree that the DiD body style seems a bit "proud" to me as well.

I had not paid close attention to the boots I will have to have a closer look at these, I will be saddened if DiD has changed these. I'm not the biggest fan of the DiD boots, but they were keeping with scale. With a bit of work they don't look too bad. Again I will have to have a closer look.

The M1 was a total disappointment (unless you plan a figure of the Korean war!), I haven't maid my mind up about the grease gun... A bit out of scale perhaps? I do have to say though that the stock on my grease gun is movable, I didn't think it was at first either, but it does move, just take care as it is a tight fit.

The M1 scabbard was a great addition and have plans for mine already! I am also glad that DiD has finally released a good looking M1 carbine pouch. I am also pleased with both Rigger's pouches, although I have retro fitted all my old DML pouches with working DiD lift the dots. I like this as now I have a bunch that are different in shape and colors.

Something I'm not sure anyone else has picked up on is the M3 knife, the hilt/handgard is wrong. The angle to the hilt is on the opposite side that it should be, and then the angle itself is wrong, it is swept back, and it should sweep forward. The angle for the hilt was for the thumb.

The new gas mask bag was another good addition. Wonder if they will have a gas mask in the future? Who knows? Doesn't matter as most were discarded after the first few days, sometimes the bags were kept and used as a waterproof bag for personal items, or other gear.

I mixed review of this figure for sure, but all in all I am pleased with my purchase and have plans for all the good gear and uniforms.

Edit:

I have had a couple of people ask me if this figure was worth the purchase, I have forgotten to comment... I would say yes, I have purchased 3 myself and would purchase more... Even with a few flaws there is still a lot of really good gear that makes this a worthwhile purchase for me. That is my humble opinion of course...