Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
pistol pete
Rifleman

Ultimate Soldier box art prints

I'll bet I'm not the only guy on this board who's still got a bunch of those old 21st Century Toys Ultimate Soldier action figure boxes. The illustrations on the front covers were just too cool to chuck in the garbage with the wire ties and plastic inserts. My favorites were the Marine Raider warily making his way through a dense South Pacific jungle and the Mike Force Advisor shouting into his radio on a hot LZ.

Anyway, I was pretty stoked to learn that one of the original cover art illustrators, Marc Ericksen, has recently offered prints of his work for sale on his website. Using high resolution color transparencies of the original art, he's produced 16 museum-quality prints in a variety of sizes and media. The cheapest print options (approx 8x10 on matte paper) are just $10.44 each!

Here's a link to where you can view and buy prints: Marc Ericksen - theartofultimatesoldiers fine art prints at Imagekind.com

I picked up the Marine Raider and Japanese Infantry illustrations, printed medium size with the Hahnemuhle fine art pearl paper. I was deeply impressed when they arrived-- thick fine art paper and a very sharp print of the original illustration. Unobstructed by logos and printed at full-size, these scenes were even more awesome than I remembered. Can't wait to have them framed and hung up in my "war room"!

Incidentally, Marc is a really cool guy to talk to. A veteran who served two tours in Vietnam, he told me some fascinating stories about his service and about working with 21c. (I'm working on putting up that interview on my fan site.) If you were into video games in the 80s and 90s, Marc also created art for many of the big video game companies. His retrogameart website is a fun trip down memory lane: retrogameart.com

If you were a fan of the original Ultimate Soldier box art, I highly recommend that you head over to Marc's site and take a look! [Admin: If I've posted this in the wrong place-- my apologies!]