Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Peter the painter
Battalion Commander

Pea Dot Tunics?

Hi Guys,

My son needs four more SS figures for his hanomag (Pics when it's finished) but he can't get his hands on anymore Pea dot tunics (Not the green peadot) there are plenty peadot panzer crew tunics but not the regular army ones (M36???)

out of the 8 figures he has so far only 3 of them have Pea Dot tunics...

Anyone know where he can get his hands on a few more?

(I'll post that I'm looking for them in the trade section. If anyone has any to sell or trade give me a PM please!!!)

Cheers,
Peter (and Jonathan)
Peter the painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
General Specific
Battalion Commander

Location: 5 Hours from the Center of the Universe. Ottawa, Canada

Toys City sells the darker version in a set for their MG Gunner. Nice Jacket too although finding the jacket alone may be the challenge.
General Specific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
hansalbin
Company Commander

Break it up a little with a couple of other camo smocks. Gives a good mix and can be a transition period late summer to early .
hansalbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

You probably know this by now, but just in case, the recent DML Hannes Diehl figure has a nice peadot 4 pocket tunic. Keep an eye out on ebay for it loose. Not sure why, but the Diehl figure was available loose, dried up and has not reloaded in any of the places I keep an eye on.
I recently saw the ToyCity piece loose somewhere and now I can't find it.
One note on peadot M42 trousers, the Aldo Wenning tanker comes with the regular M42 trousers. The recent Fritz peadot tanker comes with panzer type trousers.
If I see any it anywhere I will post it here...

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:31 AM   #5
thegreatshaggy
Sniper

Hey guys,

Pete's looking for the lighter pattern verison, like the ones that came with DML SS Medic Weller and it's carded sets. Besides the TC Dot Trousers that you can still find around from their Spring Smock sets, the lighter pattern Tunics have all but dried up unless your willing to shell out the cash for the TC German Elite Officer Set 3.
thegreatshaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Peter the painter
Battalion Commander

Ah yes, sorry I should have made that clear. Its the light shade of peadot I'm looking for.

cheers for that link though amaral! there's some gret stuff on here

Cheers,
Peter.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
krakow
Sniper

Pea-dot

Peter, I don't think it would be out of sorts (and someone may prove me wrong) that a pea-dot panzer wrap could be worn by an infantryman. Maybe a Panzer Grenadier. That would take care of at least one of your son's figures.

The Panzer wraps in light Pea-dot from DML "Bobby Woll" are still pretty plentiful. Paul at Toy Soldier Brigade has them in stock as well as the trousers without the thigh pocket.

http://www.toysoldierbrigade.com/index.htm

Steve
krakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Battlegear Toys makes a peadot tunic, but they're not cheap. $18 US plus shipping to anywhere outside the US is also expensive.

I assume you've tried Ebay?

K.
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Peter the painter
Battalion Commander

Yeah I've tried ebay. Ive also checked the battlegear toys section of toysoldierbrigade but didn't see any light patter peadot tunics? do battlegear toys have their own website?

and thanks Kraow I'll let him know (its an option incase he can't get anymore infantry ones)

Cheers,
Peter.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
thegreatshaggy
Sniper

Re: Pea-dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakow";p=&quot View Post
Peter, I don't think it would be out of sorts (and someone may prove me wrong) that a pea-dot panzer wrap could be worn by an infantryman. Maybe a Panzer Grenadier. That would take care of at least one of your son's figures.

Steve
Unfortunately this isn't the case. The only division that allowed Pazer Wraps to be worn by Infantryman was the Heer Panzer Lehr Division (and this was only because they were considered elite in the Heer) in Normandy. The standard 44 Dot uniform for infantrymen in Normandy was the 2 piece 44 Dot Drill Uniform. Judging from historical pictures it was either worn together or just a Tunic with M37/43 Trousers or the Trousers with a Camo Smock.

Peter,

Also going through my reference books it was also noted that M-44 HBT drill jackets were also printed in Oak Leaf 'A', 'B', and Blurred Edge patterns and were utilized in Normandy fighting as well. So for historical purposes that is another opinion that your son could take as well as having a mixture of SS troops wearing M-44 HBT drill jackets in various types of camo patterns stated above along with the Dot pattern. Battlegeartoys, www.battlegeartoys.com , offer M-44 HBT drill jackets in Oakleaf.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
krakow
Sniper

See, I told you someone would prove me wrong. The comment was made based on some random pics of SS Wiking Motorized Infantry and 38. SS Panzer Grenadier Division wearing wraps. Maybe it was just the commanders in the pics wearing them and not the lower ranks.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #12
thegreatshaggy
Sniper

Amaral,

Accoridng to some excrepts I read in Michael D. Beaver's Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen-SS he stated that SS camo pattern clothing was worn by Heer troops and had a few pictures of Heer troops wearing Smocks and helmet covers. He stated that although this was highly unusual it wouldn't be impossible for Heer troops to procure camo clothing through 'other' means outside the normal supply chain. Judging from the photo it could be that the unit below is a Ad Hoc unit combining SS and Heer troops in Normandy or maybe they're all SS troops and one procured a Heer M43 that he found somewhere after loosing his or it could be a full Heer unit that managed to get their hands on some SS camo clothing.

Obivious the troops shown in the photo are preparing for a operation and they're getting a full OpOrder brief complete with a sand table layout as they take notes.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
Peter the painter
Battalion Commander

would it be unusual to see a unit with some men wearing the lighter version and others wearing the darker version of the peadot tunic? cause if they would have been together then I'd just get the darker ones?

Cheers,
peter.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
The Ulsterman
Rifleman

Just an observation here chaps, but when i was a lot younger, (before i got into 1/6th) i thought the German uniform was Field grey, and jackboots and that was that!!

But over time, i have learned that the German uniform of WWII, is probably the most complicated, in terms of what goes with what etc.

Would anyone else admit that their time in 1/6th scale, has tought them more about military uniforms, variations, combinations and styles,...than they would have learned anywhere else?

I am starting to dabble in the WWII German soldier myself, so threads like this, with the wealth of knowledge will help me no end.

Thank you!!
Neil.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
thegreatshaggy
Sniper

Amaral photo clearly shows both the light and dark verisons behind worn, however I'm not sure if the photo was taken during Operation Overlord in Normandy or Operation Market Garden in the Netherlands (presence of British Paratroopers in the background). As for issuing with M-44 drill uniforms, the troops probably got whatever the Quartermaster had on hand. Since the uniforms came as sets they would've been issued out as such but, like any supply in wartime, they issued out everything they had and if it meant a summer light pattern tunic being issued with dark winter trouser pattern then so be it or vice versa. They probably even issued the darker pattern in the summer as well just to get the uniform out to the troops.

Ulsterman,

I was the same, u know growing up watching the Old John Wayne and 50/60s WWII on TNT's Memorial Day Weekend Film Salute. We all knew the bad guys (Germans) wore gray helmets and uniforms with black jackboots and the good guys (American/British/Canadian/Australian) wore greens and browns for uniforms. It wasn't until I got into 1/6 that I started to learn that the German utilized camouflage on a vast spectrum that I didn't know about. Many years of research into war history has granted me a whole new insight into this world, as well as the Allies attempts at camouflage garments during the war.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #16
krakow
Sniper

M43 HBT dot tunics

Peter, found you some M43 HBT light dot tunics at a good price. Not sure how many are in stock, go check it out.

http://toychestandcollectibles.com/

You'll find them under LOOSE PARTS>AXIS PARTS>UNIFORMS about half way down the page. Cory Lord is the owner and he's a super nice guy. Shoot him an e-mail and see how many he actually has.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
baggypantsdevil
Sniper

M43 light pea dot uniforms from the DML carded sets are nearly impossible to find these days. I searched for months a few years back and was able to buy 1 from ebay and traded with a friend for another. The only other option is the Toys city tunic (no pants) which has loops for shoulder boards and merit ribbon which if I am not mistaken would be for an officer. Personally, I don't know why DML does not re-release the carded sets. They would sell like hot cakes. I always keep an eye out for these uniforms but have not seen any for years now. Not to sound pessimistic but finding 3 or 4 of the DML full uniforms are slim and none. I would consider equipping the soldiers with other uniforms. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck.
American parachutists-devils in baggy pants-are less than 100m from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night. They pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere. -diary of dead German officer
baggypantsdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
Peter the painter
Battalion Commander

Well three of the figures are wearing the light tunic so I suppose it'll be alright to have a mix. I was thinking about green pea dot smocks for some of the others...

Peter.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
thegreatshaggy
Sniper

Amaral,

What Peter the Painter is referring to is the Plan Tree Dot smock (or more commonly known to collectors as the Polyspot Pattern). Peter, just letting you know that those smocks were only manufactured in 1941 and ceased production in favor of the Oak Leaf Pattern sometime during that year. It is highly unlikely that the pattern saw use during Normandy and might've been confine to action on the Eastern Front due to its one year of production. Not to say that maybe a long time surviving veteran had one, but if you do give them to your most senior troops (CO Commanders and Senior NCOs). That is if your striving for hostorical accurarcy if not then use whatever you want if it looks good for yea.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #20
maa
Platoon Leader

here's another pea dot figure:

maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #21
thegreatshaggy
Sniper

Hey Amaral,

No your correct in your assumation on Plane Tree and the production dates, 1940-44 for the wartime patterns.

This is the pattern I was referring too:

It was called Polyspot by Collectors but it was based off the Plane Tree pattern and therefore a variant of that pattern. It was only manufactured in Smocks and Helmet Covers unlike the other Plane Tree variants, which the actual pattern was started to be experimented with starting in 1936 by the SS-VT, was manufactured primarely for Zeltbabns but then grew into all camouflage garments minus jump smocks and winter suits.

Source: Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen-SS by Michael D. Beaver with J.F. Borsarello

As for Aldo Holger, he only came with the turtleneck sweater and no Tunic or trousers Although his 44 Dot Winter Suit is, in my opinion, one of the most dead on accurate for that pattern.

Oh almost forgot, nice picture of the extremely rare SS-VT Plane Tree Block Pattern smock. Wonder if the photograph was taken during training manuvers or during the invasion of the lowland countries and France?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
Frasmet
Mortarman

The BW photo is from Kursk '43. Look below the croiss on the PZIII in the background, and you see the temporary insignia applied at Kursk
Frasmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #23
Peter the painter
Battalion Commander

Wow...I had no idea tha german camouflage patterns were this in depth lol. Ive ordered a few smocks the same as the ones in the left picture of the carded set. That's the one I meant.

Peter.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Polyspot, as int he carded sets is one thing and plane tree is something else. The other pre-historic DML carded sets had the Palm pattern, also a very early patten for smocks.

Theere were no helmet covers, M41 caps, zelts or smocks in peadot. There might have been some field made pieces, but not general issue.

The light and dark peadot is more of variation from manufacturers and effects of wear and weather. There were not two types of peadot as such.

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #25
Zulu
Rifleman

Sorry to beat a dead horse but are you referring to manufacturers of the actual garments or 1/6 manufacturers? I know that the type of material that the pea dot was printed on affected how it looked as well. The pea dot printed on cotton twill fabric looked darker than that printed on herringbone twill.

Peter, did you ever get your tunics?
Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote