Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
PanzerMonkey
Rifleman

Hello, I am new. Need some info.

I am some what new to this type of thing. I have had basic colleting from SOTW and the Ultimate Soldier but I would want to buy some Dragon stuff. What would you all recommend on where to buy figures at. What do you call a reasonable price? Where do you guys buy your Dragon or DID brands and how long have you been collecting? Do you guys make your own vehicles, buy the basic parts for vehicles and add mainly everything to them, or do you buy the vehicle whole besides machine guns and whatnought? Thank you for your replies.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
JTFazz
Company Commander

First off, welcome.

Secondly, those are some real subjective questions. It really depends.

There are some great online retailers including The Battle Rhino, Monkey Depot, EchoBase Toys, etc.

Most Dragon figures retail around $40 but vary according to other factors. Most DiD figures start around $50 but also vary in price.

The older a figure is, the better chance you can snag one off of ebay for a good price.

If you have been collecting SOTW and 21C, both Dragon and DiD are leaps forward in quality of detail, material, accuracy, etc. Although some of the DiD figures are not complete in accuracy as a whole.

I would suggest hanging out here and other 1/6th forums and get a feel for things. I am still learning and I have been in the hobby for about five years.

If you see something you like, post here to get some feedback about pricing and quality before taking the plunge. There are lots of helpful people here.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
PanzerMonkey
Rifleman

Thank you, I keep seeing things I like but I don't have the money usually. Thanks for the info. Does anybody else have advice? Also my interests for figures are mainly German being Panzer, Heer, and SS. Just throwing that out there. Thinking on Buying a Phillip Wagner soon. Maybe a Konrad Holzer also. No longer will I have to substitute a M1903 for a K-98. Isn't that sad
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

Just find what you like. When you deside that you like one of the figures, save and then buy it, so on and so on. The next thing you will know, you will have to buy a bigger house or add a room on. It becomes an addiction. Then you deside you would like a tank or half track so your guys don't have to walk. Have fun and we will see you around.
GB
Germanbilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
b24man
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerMonkey";p=&quot View Post
Does anybody else have advice?
Since room and budget are major issues at my home I concentrate only in areas that really interest me.

Kyle
b24man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Sixty Driver
Battalion Commander

First of welcome aboard! Secondly, it's great to see younger folks interested in WWII history, this hobby and especially refreshing to see a new younger member that can post straight to the point questions with a clear objective

If you keep an eye at the bottom of the forum each time you log in, you will see different etailer logo's. They rotate on a per hit basis so you can actually just hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh and sort of review the rotation. If they are on our forum they are reputable dealers and you can shop with confidence. We also have an etailer section so you can check that out and get links to their stores there just as easily.

If money is a limiting factor (it is for all of us, trust me) I would recommend choosing a specific unit and or era and concentrate on collecting just that. Examples being Gebirgsjager, Fallschirmjager, late war Waffen SS, D-Day era US Paratroopers etc. You'll find it much easier to control spending that way since your not faced with the 5-10 figures per month that become available through the various manufactuers.

As for the tanks, some are purchased as ready to roll, some are kits in verying degree's of completeness while many are simply scratch built. Folks like panzerwerks, Armorpax and Toyrific offer the hard parts such as running gear, tools and other accessories making it much more feasible for folks to build their own tanks. It all comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much effort you want to put into your project. Nice thing about scratchbuilding is that you can chip away at it and buy what you can as money permits. Sort of like buying a vehicle in installments.

If you spend some time here as well as surf through the older posts you'll get a feel for what's available etc. You can always ask for advice here, helping folks out is what we strive to do.
Sixty Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

What "Sixty" said is dead on... Welcome to the Board Sir...
Old 07-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
General Specific
Battalion Commander

Location: 5 Hours from the Center of the Universe. Ottawa, Canada

Welcome aboard! Always nice to see new members here. (Just like I was a few months back ) I have had good luck buying from the Sponsors of this site. Some of them have sales from time to time and you can pick up some pretty nice mint in box stuff for a good price that way. Other than that there is always the "Crap Game" forum section where members sell or trade their stuff to other members. I have picked up a bunch of great figs for great prices on there. Just keep your eyes open and you will find the deals.

Take Care and see you around.

-GenSpec
General Specific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #9
Mustang08
Sniper

Yep "Sixty" nailed it. I'm just a year older then you so I can relate to the money issue too! Good luck. Hope you have fun on the board.
Mustang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #10
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Hi and Welcome,

I agree with Sixty as well, I usually tell people I know who are just getting into colleting decide what you want to do and then search the internet for deals on older boxed figures. You can pic up a few DML German figures for under $30.00 also look into loose stuff a nude figure can cost as little as $5.00 uniforms for $3.00 boots $1.00 most of the other small items $1.00 ea and a weapon for about $4.00. You don't need much to put together a basic grunt. You can add specialty items from there to make them what ever you want. Check the groups to see if you have any other collectors in your area and see if there are any local toy or collector shows some times you can really score at those. Also don't forget to check the Crap Game here where other members sell stuff.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #11
cablecommander
Company Commander

Hi, and welcome aboard. One peice of advice I can give you is to try to find a Hobby store somewhere near you that sales "Action figures".

That way, you can go in and see what you want to get, in hand and upclose. You also won't have to pay shipping charges( but maybe sales tax though), but the best thing about finding a store near you is that you don't have to wait on the USPS to get it.

CC
Old 07-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #12
Kev Longino

Quote:
the Sponsors of this site
Just a note to say we don't have sponsors as such , the hotlinks are provided free to the etailers in appreciation of their products and services to the hobby , although we do very much appreciate their very generous support of our competitions
Let us do, or die!"
Kev Longino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Great advice so far.
In the trade sections of these forums once in a while you will find some good deals.
Also keep an eye on the postage and think of the price of the figure to get it to your door.
Sometimes an inexpensive figure at ebay turns not to be such a good deal.
You mentioned Phillip Wagner. That is a fine figure to get started with. It is also one of those figures that with a nude body a pair of boots and a couple of other loose pieces you could make two figures as it comes with a nice panzerkombi and a full tanker uniform.
I have never been to a show, but I have heard that there are some good deals on loose parts and nude figures.

Best of luck and welcome aboard!
Eduardo

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #14
PanzerMonkey
Rifleman

Thank you all, I am honored to post on a forum with people as nice as you all (no lies). I noticed that Phillip is on the add reply link thingy. I have an interested with the Black Panzer uniforms or I beleive the name is Panzerjack or something to that effect. I am also looking for weapon sets, mainly german. I plan on having an arsenal by the end of the year.