Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
plane_mc
Sniper

DML 1/4 Ton Truck Kit

I am just getting started on my DML ľ Ton 4X4 Truck kit. I will be adding the DML 50 cal machine gun to it on a scratch built pedestal.

I fully expect this to be a multi-month project, as I have a lot planned.

I stopped by the hobby shop and they had an engine kit for it.

I wish!! Like the Kettenkrad, I am going to go ahead and scratch build the engine.

If anyone has the DML engine from the DX08 convention, I would love to see some pictures of it outside of the jeep and could use some basic dimensions off of it.

Has anyone been able to separate the tires from the rims? I have been looking at them and can not figure out how to do it.

I have just begun cutting parts off the sprue, so there will be more to follow . . .
plane_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
plane_mc
Sniper

DML 1/4 Ton Truck Kit

I am just getting started on my DML ľ Ton 4X4 Truck kit. I will be adding the DML 50 cal machine gun to it on a scratch built pedestal.

I fully expect this to be a multi-month project, as I have a lot planned.

I stopped by the hobby shop and they had an engine kit for it.

I wish!! Like the Kettenkrad, I am going to go ahead and scratch build the engine.

If anyone has the DML engine from the DX08 convention, I would love to see some pictures of it outside of the jeep and could use some basic dimensions off of it.

Has anyone been able to separate the tires from the rims? I have been looking at them and can not figure out how to do it.

I have just begun cutting parts off the sprue, so there will be more to follow . . .
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Never did get those tires off.

Good luck and will keep an eye on that engine.
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Never did get those tires off.

Good luck and will keep an eye on that engine.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Make molds might be able to make some extra cash.

Ask John about mold making.

Glad to see that the price is the same there as here on the jeep engine parts.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Make molds might be able to make some extra cash.

Ask John about mold making.

Glad to see that the price is the same there as here on the jeep engine parts.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
plane_mc
Sniper

Itís time to start posting some pictures. I donít have a lot done yet, but I am getting started.
I glued up the springs, axles and transfer case.

Nothing exciting there, I have a lot to clean up on them and havenít felt like doing it yet.
I cleaned up the frame and started filling in the open spaces. I know that most of it wonít all show, but it will drive me crazy if I know it isnít finished all the way, even if it doesnít always show. I am looking at trying to make the body removable if I can figure out a way to do it. I also made the pedestal support that gets welded to the frame. I have not attached it yet, I want to finish with the filling first.

Speaking of the pedestal, I got started on that too. I have the basics built, but there are still details to be added.

The hood has the lubrication chart holder molded in to it as a solid piece. I sanded that off and added a new one made out of .020 sheet styrene and put rivets on both sides.

And of course, whatís the purpose of having the holder without the chart?

I also acquired the ammunition and boxes for the 50 cal. These linked shells are really nice.

Well, thatís it for now. Hopefully I will have more to post soon, but right now it is mostly just a lot of sanding and scraping to clean up the parts.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Hoffner
Company Commander

Thats really nice, where did you get that chart btw? Also, are you thinking of casting your engine when its done? I would be willing to get one if you do.

Damnit....I glued my fingers together again.
Hoffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
plane_mc
Sniper

Brad,
I found the chart as 2 separate images while searching for details. I really ran across them by accident, I was looking for other details. I resized the pictures to match the size of the molded area and printed them on both sides of a piece of cardstock. I then laminated it with packing tape. It is not perfect, but looks the part in the holder.
I have not decided anything about molding the engine. I haven't started on it yet, so I really haven't given it much thought. I will know more when I see how much work is involved.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

That chart holder is classic
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
panzerwerk
Division Commander

Fantastic Work !!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

Oh would i love to have one of these.
As i could spend months making it based on the excellent reference material, where other modellers have made some superb jeeps.

Gary
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Sweet deal Mark.

Going to be a killer indeed.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
plane_mc
Sniper

I guess itís time for an update.

I have been busy cleaning up seams and finished filling in the gaps in the chassis. I glued down the pedestal bracket and added the underside bracing and welds to it.

I also filled in the holes in the springs were the kit shocks mount and made my own shocks and mounts. I still need to drill the mounts for the cotter pins that will hold the shocks in place, but the rest of the mounts are finished.

You can see the kit shocks in the picture as well as my new shocks.

I also started adding details to the axles and differential covers. I started adding the text to the covers, but the only lettering I have is too big, so I took it off.

I started working on the engine. I cut out some of the parts for the block and got them glued together.

I started adding more of the detail to the block, and then I realized I misinterpreted the picture I was looking at and added concave shapes instead of convex shapes. I ended up cutting those details off and havenít felt like working on it since. Instead, I concentrated on the details above to get a break from the engine for now.

Well, thatís it for now, I am slowly plugging away at this. It is going to be a long term project!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
k ration
Battalion Commander

Looks great so far.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Kicking Butt Mark kicking butt.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
xacto11
Company Commander

Good stuff! I wish I had those photos of the engine block when I was making mine, would have made things easier. Did you get that photo from the web or do you have a manual? Looking forward to seeing what you do next.
xacto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #18
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
Looks great! Where did you get the pics of the engine block??
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks for the kind words. I don't remember what site I found the pictures on, but it was one of the sites I found while searching through full size restorations. The photos are of the block on a workbench, I just opened them with MS Paint and got rid of the background clutter and then re-sized them to match the dimensions I came up with from measuring the 1/24 engine.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
xacto11
Company Commander

Guess I'll have to keep looking. None of the restoration sites I saw had photos that informative, at least from a modelers point of view.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #21
Sixth Vanguard

There is this jeep engine manual, but it is from '51, not sure it is correct and the pictures are scanned horribly
http://www.archive.org/details/Techn...ineWillysL-134
Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
plane_mc
Sniper

Hereís a quick update on what I have been doing this week.

I didnít like the way the rear brake drums attached to the rear axle. The part that attaches to the rim gets pushed onto a metal shaft that goes through the plastic axle. The problem is, the brake drum has an opening that both the rim and the axle are supposed to fit into, but there is no way for them both to be there at the same time. The pictures show what I am talking about. I decided to modify the brake drum backing plate and create a new mounting system. I used some 7/16Ē tubing to fit around the axle and used my dremel to create the pieces that go on the brake drum. I added some bolts and then sanded off a little of the piece that attaches to the rim so there will be no interference. I will now be able to solidly mount the brake drums to the axle and still be able to attach the wheels with a positive connection.

While I was at it, I modified the backs of the brake drums to include the brake line connection, the bleed valve, the brake adjuster bolts and other details. On the front drums, I added some sheet styrene to the bottom of the steering linkages to fill in open areas. I will be adding brake lines when I get the axles finished up.

One thing that has been really bothering me about this kit is the way the u-bolts are portrayed. They are molded along with the axle and springs, making them have a joint because they are separate parts. In addition, there are only 3 lines (bolts) molded on the rear axles instead of 4. Also, there are no nuts or bolts sticking through the bottom of the shock/spring plate at the bottom of the assembly and the u-bolts as they are molded are right at the edge and partially hanging over the edge of the mounting plates. I used my trusty dremel and removed the molded on u-bolts and plates. I then created new u-bolts out of 0.080 styrene rod and new plates out of sheet styrene. I will be adding the nuts on them after final assembly. I think the pictures speak for themselves as to the difference this modification makes. I havenít cleaned up the putty yet, I will do that this weekend.

I have a question for anyone that has built this kit already. Has anyone cut off the supports that go between the axles and the frame? They shouldnít be there, but I understand why DML molded it that way, there is going to be a lot of weight on the springs. I am wondering if the shocks will be enough to hold the body up without the springs sagging over time.

Thatís it for now, thanks for looking.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
Reef12
Battalion Commander

I would leave them,as you said with some heat and the thing is heavy might start to sag and then well a bunch of them words.

Cheers.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
plane_mc
Sniper

I've been looking at the parts and even started to scratch build some new springs, but unless I make them out of metal, which I do not have the tools to do, I don't think the plastic will hold up over time. I am conceding to using the kit springs and leaving the posts between the axles and the frame.

I don't like the way the spring holders look on the kit parts, but I am going to use them anyway. I will try to shape them a little to get them to look more like the real thing.

I know DML was shooting for quick/easy assembly with this, and I understand why they did things they way they did, I just wish they would have detailed all the parts like they did some of them.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #25
plane_mc
Sniper

I guess itís time to post again. I have been steadily working along. It doesnít look like much progress, but I am getting the details worked out and really am getting somewhere.

I modified the front brake drums/backing plates so I could attach them to the axles without the wheels attached. I added brake lines and now both axles are now for the most part finished up and ready to mount to the chassis.

I cut the ďoil canĒ that was molded to the firewall off and created my own. I still need to make a bracket for it.

I also have been working on the engine some more, not a whole lot of new stuff, but it is starting to take shape. I have figured out how to make many of the parts, now it is just the time consuming job of actually making them.

Thatís all for now, thanks for looking.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #26
Reef12
Battalion Commander

looking Killer Mike a real fine job here.
always thought that was the Master Cylinder and not a Oil can.

Good job I can't wait to see it done.
Can't wait to see that engine.
Keep at it.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
mulezilla
Sniper

Nope... the designers decide the master cylinder should be below the drivers feet so you would have to remove 6 bolts out of the access plate then reach through it and try and get the reservoir cap off the master cylinder then try and get a funnel in there to fill the dam thing! Maybe this is why everyone says a jeeps brakes suck as its such a pain to check the fluid...lol.... and the funny part is they also ran the exhaust header so close to the master cylinder that they needed to add a heat shield to keep from cooking it!........God bless all the mechanic's that had to do such a simple task in the hostile environment of ww2
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #28
Lord B
Sniper

Hi !

sorry I'm joining this thread a bit late. First I would like to congratulate you on your great job. I really like to see how people take the DML jeep kit as a starting point to make wonders. I would like to contribute my two cents as to how to tackle the suspension dilemma. At the end I decided to redo it mixing metal and plastic parts, the metal parts giving resistance while the plastic parts give volume. Here are two pictures two illustrate what I mean:

This first metallic piece should give flexibility and resistance

Then the rest can be made in plastic, giving the right volume to the springs. Once the whole thing is painted it should look OK.

The consequence of this is that the jeep sinks in his own weight, to a certain extent, giving what I believe is a very realistic touch. So far the springs are holding, although it's clear that they have changed shape, adapting to the weight of the jeep and its contents. I hope they stay like that !

Jordi
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
Company Commander

I just saw this post the other day. Just recently bought the kit myself. I am a reformed 1/35th scale modeler who has caught the 1/6th bug with a vengeance. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build as I prepare for my own. I love to super detail.

You have done a superb job! Keep up the great work! Let me know if you need any reference material.

Paul
.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
Company Commander

For the sake of learning and interest I present this link to another build. It is through these sites that we all learn so hope no one minds...

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...=156758&page=1
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #31
plane_mc
Sniper

Paul, that is Reef12's build, that is the one that made me decide to buy the kit and build it.

Jordi, I was debating about doing something similar, but I do not have the tools to cut the metal parts. It does look great though. I only have simple hand tools and a dremel available to work with. I am also concerned about the springs sagging over time. I will be building this as a static display piece and with the engine, 50 cal + ammo and probably 2 figures, there will be a lot of weight to support on the springs. I decided to leave the solid piece there to be able to support the weight.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #32
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Send a message via MSN to pzrwest Send a message via Yahoo to pzrwest
Another item that can be used for leaf springs is the coil spring from old wind up clocks. you cut it over length to allow for the loop at the ends of the leaft spring. The heat the ends till cherry red and let cool slowly this will remove the temper out of the ends so they can be formed into a loop like the real main spring. We used to do that way back when building car models
Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #33
Lord B
Sniper

I totally agree with your comments. Once one fills the jeep with figures and accesories it can become pretty heavy.

The metal pieces I used though didn't require much tooling. One can buy brass pieces of many sizes and shapes, and I happened to find some with the right size at the local model shop. Still I agree that time will tell if I need to buy a new kit to re-do the mess caused by the suspension disintegrating

Jordi
Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #34
plane_mc
Sniper

I forgot all about the hobby shops selling strips of brass, I buy the tubing, but forgot all about the strips. I will keep that in mind for future needs.

I hope you don't have to re-do anything on your jeep, hopefully it will hold up over time. It does look much better than the ones in the kit.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #35
Sgt Shultz II

I'm just wondering if the shock absorber is stiff enough to take the place of the stud on the axle if it were cut off.

After all they are pretty close together on the axle...

Just a thought!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
plane_mc
Sniper

I also thought about that, but I wasn't sure if it would be enough or not. It just might be strong enough, but I decided that I am going to be safe on mine and live with the inaccuracy of the post.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #37
plane_mc
Sniper

I am slowly making progress. I have been working on getting the engine ready to be able to be mounted in the frame. Everything is being held together with posts so I can take it apart as needed to add details.

I got the motor mounts and the transmission mount made up and now I can put the whole drive train in the frame. I also made brackets to hold the radiator. This was my first time mocking it up with the wheels and I can honestly say that I am happy with the way things are going.

Just for the heck of it, I threw the body on the chassis to see how it was looking.

Just a short update today, so thatís all for now, thanks for looking.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #38
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

WOW!!!! that is one super scratchbuild on that motor. I can see alot of people wanting one for their jeeps. Hope you plan on making molds for the engine and detail parts for the motor
Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #39
jfunk
Company Commander

Fantastic!! I can't wait for the next update.
jfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #40
Reef12
Battalion Commander

That is mind boggling indeed.

That motor in plastic and all I still would see is a few bags of plastic sheets and pieces.

And you see an engine.

Great job.
Must have a lot of patience Mark.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #41
Company Commander

Mark, want to build me one! LOL's... GREAT WORK, keep it up!

Paul
Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #42
plane_mc
Sniper

Here is another quick update. I have been steadily working, but it seems like every time I make a step forward, I am having to go back and change something I already did.

I was thinking that I might like to light the dash. I drilled out the dash lights from the bottom making sure not to drill all the way through. I then drilled in from the back until I reached the hole I just drilled from the bottom. Then I took my knife and carved the opening to the shape it is in now. The last image shows what it looks like with a LED light held up behind the opening. I havenít decided for sure to light the jeep up, but I do have the option to if I decide to do it.

I havenít felt like working on the engine, so I went ahead and created the brake master cylinder, the heat shield and the pluming for the brakes along the frame.

While I was building the master cylinder, I decided to build the steering box and the pedals too. Of course, the location of the steering column on the firewall didnít line up with anything except the fender, so I had to enlarge the opening several times until I got it in a position that would allow everything to line up. I now have a huge hole in the firewall to fill in and clean up. When I did the mockup to take pictures, I found out that I made the clutch and brake pedals too long. I have already shortened them and the glue is now drying.

The steering output shaft interfered with the oil pump on the engine on my original design. I was able to rework the steering box and move the oil pump down a little on the engine block and now I have plenty of clearance. I think I re-did the steering box 3 times until I got it to where it is now. Then, when I put the axle on to find the length for the steering rod, I found out that the brake line ďTĒ connector was in the way of the steering rod. I got that moved too. Everything lines up and the steering is operational. The steering wheel doesnít move with the wheels, but everything else does. I am glad to have that finished up.

Sorry about the jumpy animation, but I was holding the camera in one hand, moving the wheels with the other, and the whole time trying to keep the exact same position of the camera and the chassis. I guess I need to get a small tripod for the camera.

The last set of pictures shows a mock-up of the drive train as it stands now, both with and without the body.

Itís getting there, slowly but surely.

Thanks for looking.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #43
jfunk
Company Commander

That is just incredible workmanship! I can't wait to see more.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #44
toychest
Mortarman

Super nice work!!!!!!!!!
toychest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #45
TBowman
Company Commander

Totally amazing Love it!

Best regards
Tim
Old 10-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #46
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Another idea for lights for the dash lights is the tiny light bulbs found in old digital watches. They are smaller than grain of rice bulbs and run on 1-1/2 volts. can easily be powered with the cheap 1-1/2 volt small button cell batteries from the buck store. I check out yard sales and pick up old digital watches that have the lighted dials
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #47
armorpax
Battalion Commander

Fantastic scratchbuilding

Dave

armorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #48
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am still having fun working on this.

pzrwest - thanks for the tip on the lights, I will have to look into them. I was thinking about using LEDs if I do light it, but your suggestion gives me options.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #49
Reef12
Battalion Commander

This is just marvelous.

Dang who would of though a movable steering wheel and column.

Maybe you need to work for Dragon.

Got those boys beat.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next Mark.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #50
plane_mc
Sniper

Just a real quick update today, I havenít really been working on my jeep for the past 3+ weeks. I was on vacation for a little over a week, then I didnít really feel like working on it until last weekend.

I only got a little done, but .308 is trying to convince me that I have lost my mind. I donít know that I can disagree with him.

Here are the clutch and break linkages operating. . .

I was making the connections, figuring that I would be gluing it all together when I decided it wouldnít require that much more effort to make them operational. I know that it wonít be seen once the body is on, but I know it is there and works like the real thing.

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #51
xacto11
Company Commander

That is very cool!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #52
Sixth Vanguard

Old 11-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #53
armourguy
Company Commander

Fantastic work , can't wait to see this one wrapped up
Old 11-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #54
TBowman
Company Commander

Amazing!

Did I say that already?

Outstanding work!
Best regards
Tim
Old 11-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #55
Company Commander

You've gone mental my friend!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #56
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Holy Molly that is something that needs to be made into a kit form.

Yes sir indeed.

What do you do for a living if I might be so bold to ask?

If not well okay also.

Great work Mark.

Can't wait to see what you do next working engine.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #57
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks Jeff. No the engine will not run. I wish I could make it, but I do not have that much skill.

I am a printed circuit board designer by day, nothing to do with modeling.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #58
Reef12
Battalion Commander

I knew had to have some kind of design ideas there.

Dang good work , dang good.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #59
plane_mc
Sniper

Re: DML 1/4 Ton Truck Kit

Sorry about that, I did everything the same as I always did, but the pictures didn't show up the first time.

Itís been a while since I last updated, but I have slowly been working on this.

I added some details to the transfer case, mostly just bolt heads and a drain. I want to correct/detail the parking brake and add the shift levers and brackets eventually.

I made up the starter, distributor and coil, which pretty much finishes up the right side of the engine, except for the alternator.

After finishing these parts, I was pretty much burned out on working on the engine/drivetrain. I needed a break from it. I decided to work on creating the door straps. I found some clasps at a local craft store that seemed to be the right size. I modified them by adding a wire rectangle for the webbing to go through. I then created the anchors from some more wire soldered up. The adjusters were made from some sheet aluminum.

I have been collaborating on some parts with .308. He helped me decide to get away from working on the drivetrain and start working on the .50 cal pedestal and mount. I would really like to thank Paul for all the help and for getting me motivated to get going again.

I had already built most of the pedestal, but needed to add the bracing and the support legs. I made all of these parts out of various sizes of sheet styrene. I then started working on the mount and cradle for the .50 cal. These were also made out of various pieces of sheet/rod/tubing styrene, with a couple of oddball metal pieces thrown in. It was mostly trial and error making these parts, I think I made each of them 3 times before I got the final pieces. The whole system is pinned so the .50 cal can be removed by removing the pins. I still need to go get some chain for it, but I am happy with the way it turned out.

After getting the cradle and mount figured out, I started working on the ammo holder. This is where .308 really helped me out. I previous conversations with him, I learned about the aluminum sheet he uses to make some of his parts. This turned out to be the perfect material to use for the ammo holder. I had found a picture of a photoetch holder for 1/35 scale. .308 was able to clean up the picture for me and get me a good line drawing to start with. I then modified the drawings to make the final piece shown here. I started by making the holder out of cardstock so I could easily make changes and just print out the new pieces.

After I was happy with the parts in cardstock, I transferred the design to the aluminum sheet. I then carefully cut it out and folded it up and glued where necessary to get the pieces shown below.

I then mounted the ammo holder to the cradle using 00-90 screws and nuts. Here is the almost finished assembly.

Here are all the pieces that make up the gun system.

I had spend a lot of time trying to figure out how I was going to make this piece and .308 really made it easy for me. Thank you so much.

Thatís all for now, thanks for looking.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #60
jfunk
Company Commander

That is some fantastic work! You are going to have a real museum piece when you are finished. I can't wait for further updates. I agree with you about .308, he is a great guy and an outstanding craftsman.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #61
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Dude, you have some mad skills, amazing work, very nice!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #62
Falckner
Platoon Leader

Love all those details youīr adding!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #63
Company Commander

Mark,

Truly some of the finest craftsmanship I have seen from a modeler! I can say this first hand as I received a package yesterday with a pedestal, some templates, and a few other goodies... I am blown away by his BRILLIANT work. I would be confident in saying Mark could take this piece to IPMS or AMPS Nationals and blow all competition away with great ease.

My contribution pales in comparison man! ~ Thank you for everything and if I can be of any other help please don't hesitate! Happy to help mate. It is my pleasure as I have learned a great deal from you and appreciate your willingness to help. To me this is what the hobby is all about. To share and further each others skills and inspire others to try new techniques.

Cheers!

Paul
Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #64
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Fantastic work Mark.

Wow that is sweet indeed.

I think you need to get one of those Stuarts so I can see what you come up with on it.

Cheers
Jeff
Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #65
snakeeyes506th
Mortarman

Send a message via AIM to snakeeyes506th Send a message via Yahoo to snakeeyes506th

this is one of the most amazing builds of a kit ive ever seen. Makes me want to go grab the kit myself and give it a shot
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #66
plane_mc
Sniper

Hereís a quick update on what I have been doing since the last post.

I received some feedback from Jeepman on another forum about the dipstick tube. I was made aware that the one I originally modeled (on the left) was from an early MA, not a MB. Sure enough, I went back and found the photo I built it from and it definitely was not an MB part. I re-made the dipstick tube (on the right) and I am much happier with it now. It never really was happy with the first one and it just didnít look right. I probably would have found my mistake as I completed more of the engine, but I am happy to have that fixed.

After fixing that up, I started looking at the battery. DML only molded part of the battery and the bottom part is totally incorrect. I cut the top off the molded battery and made up a new bottom for it out of sheet styrene. I then masked off the areas that would stay smooth and put a coat of Mr. Surfacer on it. Then I took an old brush and dappled the Mr. Surfacer to get the rough texture the battery should have. I removed the masking tape before everything dried. I then printed out the lettering in the correct size for the ďWillardĒ markings onto self-stick labels. Then I cut out each letter and stuck it to the new battery. After getting all the letters applied (both sides), I then coated the letters 3 times with CA, letting it dry between coats. I am hoping the letters will really stand out under a coat of paint.
I then proceeded to make the battery tray and hold down. I had to remove the mounting post from the fender for the kit battery. I also added the brace that goes to the top of the fender. The whole mount is pinned and removable so I can access the screw that holds the tub to the frame underneath it. I still have to add the battery cables, but those will come later.

Another thing I noticed a while ago when looking at the intake/exhaust manifold is that I put the spark plug openings in the wrong place on the head (top). I have been debating whether or not to fix it as no one would probably ever notice, but it finally drove me crazy enough that I had to make a second head with the openings in the right place (bottom). Now I can let that get out of my mind and continue on with something else.

I guess that is it for now, thanks for looking and please let me know if you notice anything that doesnít look right.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #67
Company Commander

Holy cow! Mark, you just keep raising the bar! Great work, the battery according to my reference looks dead on! Fine work on the lettering!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #68
plane_mc
Sniper

Alright, I got sick of building the engine, so I decided to go another direction. Let me know what you think.

Alright, I am just kidding.
I have been wanting to do that since I started this, but just havenít felt like digging the hemi out of my display case.

Here is what I have been working on since the last update.

I built the intake and exhaust manifolds, including the heater controls. The carb comes from a kit of a Ford Flathead engine. I know it isnít the correct carb, I just couldnít wrap my mind around how to make the correct carb, so I took the easy way out. I modified the flathead carb to look more like the jeep carb. I also built the water pump and the fan. The pulleys come from a 1/8 scale car kit that I have extra parts for. The pulleys and the carb are the only parts of the engine that are not scratch built.

I also made the oil pump (gray piece on the side of the engine block) and the fuel pump.

This is how the whole engine is looking now.

It doesnít feel like it but I am getting there!!! I still need to make the generator, fuel, oil and air filters and the brackets to hold them all. Then I can dig into the body mods.

Thanks for looking.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #69
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

That is some amazing detail you have going there, it looks like it should start and run.
GB
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #70
The_Dutchman
Platoon Leader

Absolutely mindblowing!
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #71
chavaTX
Mortarman

Man, that is some incredible work! Can't wait to see more!
chavaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #72
Company Commander

Well done Mate! Well done! A package will be in the mail tomorrow!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #73
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Believe it or not, I am still having fun with this build. I have to admit that I am pushing myself to detail I never dreamed I could create. A lot of the details were built several times to get the piece in the pictures. I am looking forward to having the engine finished and moving on to the body mods.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #74
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308 View Post
Well done Mate! Well done! A package will be in the mail tomorrow!

I am looking forward to it.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #75
Falckner
Platoon Leader

Totaly freakīd out and I just
love it!!

Keep us posted
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #76
vehicle
Company Commander

That is an amazing build, keep us posted! love the engine compartment so far!

vehicle
vehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #77
plane_mc
Sniper

I didnít realize how long itís been since I last posted. I have been working on my jeep, although not constantly. I had a few things come up and had some company for a week during the time since my last update.

Well, itís been 8 months since I purchased my kit and started working on it. I decided that I was going to scratch build an engine and got started with this:

Well, after staring at a lot of pictures, rebuilding parts over and over, and many frustrations, I am finally at the point that I can say the basic engine is finished except for the painting, wiring, plumbing and final small details that I canít install until it is put together for the final time.

I still have to make a couple of accessories that attach to the firewall, but the engine itself is done. The only pieces not scratchbuilt are the basic carburetor (it has been modified though), transfer case (modified), the 3 pulleys (all modified) and the water intake to the top of the engine (which will be modified for the final assembly). I donít have any idea how many hours I have into it Ė way to many!

Here are the pictures.

I am relieved to be for the most part done with this portion of the build. I am looking forward to working on other parts of the jeep.

Any and all criticism is welcomed, it is not too late to change anything yet.

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #78
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

Make this a kit or find someone to make it. Please, Please, Please. It is perfect.
GB
Old 03-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #79
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

I am just astounded by this, and the exceptionally high skill level that has gone into this jeep so far.
And i agree with Germanbilly1, the engine is perfect.

Gary
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #80
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

you should send it to Steve of panzerwerks to cast and sell to the rest of us........Hammer
Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #81
mutt71
Company Commander

GB and Hammer are right! Send it to Steve, so we can all enjoy one of them!
You did a GREAT job on this!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #82
xacto11
Company Commander

We are working on one for Panzerwerk, although it won't be as quite as nice.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #83
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #84
Company Commander

Way to go Mark! BUT... I want to know does the fan belt and fan actually move? If it doesn't I'm disappointed! LOL's.. Great work buddy! I doubt I can follow in your foot steps... I bow in front of the master...
Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #85
TBowman
Company Commander

An incredible piece of work. Your Jeep is going to be amazing when completed and I can't wait to see more as it comes together. I am in awe of your patience and skill.

First class work!

Kind regards
Tim
Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #86
Tigertiki
Mortarman

Very impressed with this nice work. You could fit a small electric motor inside
the engine and you could have a functional rc jeep. With such patience and
skill you could pull through.
Cheers
TT
Tigertiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #87
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Holy Molly that came out great Mark.

Dang jaw dropping there.

Right a resin one would be good but I bet not an easy mold there.

So well gees this is sweet indeed.

Cannot wait to see this bad boy come together.

M5 next?:rolleyes:

Jeff

Last edited by Reef12; 04-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #88
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef12 View Post
Holy Molly that came out great Mark.

Dang jaw dropping there.

Right a resin one would be good but I bet not an easy mold there.

So well gees this is a sweet indeed.

Cannot wait to see this bad boy come together.

M5 next?:rolleyes:

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I would love for my next project to be a M5. Right now is not the correct time for it, but who knows what the future will bring.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #89
plane_mc
Sniper

Hereís a quick update. It doesnít look like much, but it was a lot of work making some of these parts.

I finished up most of the details that go on the firewall, the fuel filter, air cleaner and the oil can + bracket. I also corrected the headlight and small blackout marker light mounting, radiator and voltage regulator. Here are the major components:

Here are the major components on the firewall. The horn is from the kit, just modified a little.

Here are the updated lights, now on hinged brackets instead of mounting to the radiator shroud.

The radiator shroud has been separated from the radiator, an overflow tube added and the brace from the radiator to the firewall has been created.

Thatís all the updates for now, more to come later.
Thanks for looking.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #90
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Damn that is some of the finest parts I have seen in master ever.

You are a Marvel with plastic there Mark.

A real Micheal Angelo.

A Shakespeare of the Plastic world.

Well damn good work now you need some humans to drive the thing.

Keep at it.

Enjoying ever minute of it.
Jeff
Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #91
Sixth Vanguard

Some stellar workmanship there! Fun project to watch!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #92
Company Commander

Mark,

As we talk quite often out side of SAG, there isn't much more new to know how I feel about your build. You do very fine work and I am glad to see you get the responses that you do. Your skills are quite deserving of all the praise you get. You are a source of inspiration to all of us modelers out there. It has been a joy to watch you build this jeep and make your mark. No pun intended... Your work is outstanding, and I can say I have known many modelers (in many different scales), both "professional" and amateur alike and very few actually posses as much skill as I have seen from you. Honestly Mark, you are one of the most skilled craftsman I have ever had the privilege of knowing. It is a honor to call you a friend.

Paul
Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #93
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #94
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

GREAT attention to detail throughout...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #95
rotxxyyzz
Rifleman

the amount of details on this build is amazing!!!

outstanding

keep us updated!
rotxxyyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #96
DRAGONWAGON
Rifleman

Hi there....

As you can see, I'm following you all around the Cyberworld. Thanks for pointing this site out to me; a great resorce of info. As aid before, your work on the GP is great, can't wait to see the next update.....

Grtz, John.
DRAGONWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #97
plane_mc
Sniper

Welcome to the site John. The people here are great and very helpful. Make sure you post the progress on your jeep, everyone would be happy to see it.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #98
DRAGONWAGON
Rifleman

.....Any progress lately, Mark??
DRAGONWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #99
plane_mc
Sniper

Nothing major, haven't been in the mood to work on it too much lately. When I have worked on it, I have been jumping around taking care of little details here and there. Not really finishing any one area, just taking care of small stuff.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #100
plane_mc
Sniper

Wow, it has been a LONG time since I updated this. I didnít realize how long. I have been making some progress, although not as fast as I would like to.

I got quite a bit done on the dash. The data plates are Paulís excellent plates. I am anxiously awaiting the updated gauges. I opened the glove box and added the interior and working latch to it. Please ignore the screws on the data plates, I didnít realize how bad they looked until I saw them in the pictures. I have already made new ones that are all the same size.

The pedals as of now are all functional and move. The gas pedal moves the throttle linkage when it is all hooked up. I am not sure if I will leave it all moving when I do final assembly, but the option is there now.

I modified all the seats, making the passenger and the rear seat foldable. I also added the starter crank (which fits through the hole in the bumper and catches a bar in the crank shaft) and tire pump. There are numerous other details added to the tub. I also opened up the well for the fuel tank and modified the kit tank with longer sides, new seam strips, hold down straps, filler cap, and other details. I also added a drain cap to the bottom of the fuel tank well.
The tool bins were also opened up and have working latches. While researching the tool bins, I found the cover for the trailer electrical connector that goes in the drivers side tool bin and made that. Then I decided to make the trailer electrical connector and hinge the cover. I also decided to add the tail light buckets.

Here are a few overall shots showing the added pieces and modifications.

I found a picture of an 8th Air Force airfield anti-aircraft jeep and decided that is what I am going to make mine look like. Of course, the .50cal pedestal, mount and ammo system is completely different from what I had already made. The airfield jeep has a bomber type machine gun mount and the pedestal just looks like they welded some pipe and angle iron to make it. This means that all the work I did previously on this area is no good any more. I will still finish up the old system and make a stand for it to display next to the jeep. I started making the new pedestal and mount basing it on the DML Waist Gunner .50 cal mount. I started with a metal DiD .50 cal aircraft gun, but I was not happy with the barrel so I made a new one out of aluminum and plastic. After getting as far as I have, I am not happy with the metal DiD gun, so I am going to switch it out with a DML one. I will use the barrel I already have and modify the mount to make it work.

Thanks to Paul for continuously asking me how the project is going and keeping me focused and working on it.

Thatís all the updates for now, more to come later. I welcome any comments/feedback.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #101
orntar
Mortarman

WOW, crazy amount of detail. I thought I was going over board.

Great job. I'm jealous.
orntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #102
Company Commander

Truly, one of the most magnificent, voluptuous jeep builds I have seen in any scale! Mark, you have the skills of a master craftsman. I am in love with your Jeep. Totally blown away by all the functional features from the glove box to the functional pedals. I bow my head to the master... I also like the fact you chose to do something different with the .50 cal by using an aircraft MG! Been waiting for this update to move along. It was worth every minute. Can't wait to see it in color!

Paul
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #103
Reef12
Battalion Commander

That is one fine build there mark.
Nothing to say but beautiful indeed.

So what is next, might I ask?

Jeff
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #104
TBowman
Company Commander

Just awesome! Beautiful attention to even the smallest details. Outstanding work.

best regards
Tim
Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #105
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef12 View Post
So what is next, might I ask?
Jeff
Jeff, I still have a long way to go on this one. I don't know for sure what will be next. I am really just looking forward to finishing this one.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #106
keithholmestx
Rifleman

great work and thanks for sharing. What did you use the for two tool bins hinges? (two hatches in the back of the jeep?) I've open mine up but have not figure out what to use for hinges yet. currently looking at using rc airplane mylon hinges cut down but haven't started the mods to try it out yet.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #107
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithholmestx View Post
great work and thanks for sharing. What did you use the for two tool bins hinges? (two hatches in the back of the jeep?) I've open mine up but have not figure out what to use for hinges yet. currently looking at using rc airplane mylon hinges cut down but haven't started the mods to try it out yet.
Thanks, I made the hinges out of styrene rod and a piece of wire. I drilled a hole in the styrene rod to match the diameter of the wire, then cut it into small pieces and glued alternating pieces to the lid and the body. I did the same thing for the glovebox.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #108
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

I have never seen this much detail. It is like looking at the real deal being built.
Awsom Jeep.
GB
Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #109
usmcchet9296
Tanker

Send a message via ICQ to usmcchet9296 Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296

I am so gonna copy your work
Sick ass Jeep
AIM: imperiousldr69, usmcchet9296
Yahoo: usmcchet92_96
MSN: usmcchet
usmcchet9296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #110
plane_mc
Sniper

Just a quick update today.

I have been working on the .50 cal. I didnít like the way the DiD metal .50 cal was turning out, so I decided to use a plastic DML .50 cal. I was able to re-use the barrel, but had to modify the mount to fit the DML MG. I was able to re-use the 2 side pieces, but had to re-make the rest. I am much happier with the way this one turned out.

Here is my MG mount compared to the DML mount from the B-17F waist gunner set.

I had already made up the heavy barrel (land) version of the MG and scratchbuilt the pedestal, mount and ammo holder for it and didnít want it to go to waste. I decided to make a stand for it so I could display it next to the jeep.

Thatís all for now,
Thanks for looking.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #111
tankfan0720
Mortarman

Wow seriously cool work. I enjoy every post. Incredible detail! Keep up the great work, and keep us posted as well,
Best regards,Bob
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #112
mshackleton
Rifleman

Hi there
Where did you get your 50 cal ammo from and who makes it? Do they also do 30 calibre ammo and boxes?
Cheers
mike Shackleton
mshackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #113
plane_mc
Sniper

Hi Mike, I got the ammo on Ebay, it is made by Dr.Figures. Look for "1/6 Scale Dr.Figures MG Full Metal Ammo Links 12.7" for 50 cal. I ordered it from Hong Kong with no issues. I also got the ammo can off ebay, it is made by DiD, I don't remember who I got it from though. I haven't looked for any 30 cal, but I would be surprised if no one makes it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #114
mshackleton
Rifleman

Hi mark
Thanks very much for the info. They do look good but apparently - so a friend who knows tells me - the links were cloth and not metal. Have you come across these in 1.6?

Cheers
mike
mshackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #115
orntar
Mortarman

i was under the impression that metal was used toward the end of the war.

there is 30 and 50 cloth belt strips

DID charles winstone had a 50
Charles Winstone - .50 Cal Ammo Belt (Metal) - 1/6 DID | eBay

and SS Tarawa had a 30
Soldier Story Marine Tarawa Ammo Belt 1/6 Toys Bbi Dragon DID Miniature GI joe | eBay

edit: i am using DID metal link 50's for my jeep project.
orntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #116
ROB48
Platoon Leader

Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know that Good Stuff to Go also sells the Dr Figures ammo links. Sorry, didn't meant to barge in.
Bob
ROB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #117
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshackleton View Post
Hi mark
Thanks very much for the info. They do look good but apparently - so a friend who knows tells me - the links were cloth and not metal. Have you come across these in 1.6?

Cheers
mike
Mike, both types of ammo were used. Look at pictures, you will see both cloth and links. Mine is going to be from an 8th AF bomber base, the pictures I have show links, plus that is what would be there as the bombers used linked ammo.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #118
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB48 View Post
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know that Good Stuff to Go also sells the Dr Figures ammo links. Sorry, didn't meant to barge in.
Bob
No problem Bob, the more sources for parts, the better.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #119
redball
Machine Gunner

What can I say other than to echo what others have said your Jeep is beyond belief. Also the cloth and metal linked ammo was used through out the entire war for both calibers with the metal mainly being used by the Army Air Corps due to the nature of the shell ejection process used by most aircraft. So the metal links did show up on the ground if your troops had access to Army Air Corps Armour's pre 1944 mainly due to needing the linking machine to produce any viable amount of usable ammo.

Mike
redball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #120
plane_mc
Sniper

Hereís another quick update.

The DML grease gun (on the right) isnít the type that I have seen in most of the pictures I have found, so I made my own version.

I also made up the bracket to hold it to the hood.

The bracket opens and closes, allowing the grease gun to be removed. The grease gun handle can be pumped the same as the real thing.

Thatís all for now, more to come later.

Thanks for looking.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #121
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Great work as usual Mark

Looks dang good.

Jeff
Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #122
warhorse
Tanker

Hey my mechanic could use one or two of your charts...sellin' any?
warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #123
Company Commander

Mark no doubt in my mind, you are a master craftsman.

Keep it rollin' my friend!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #124
grim_marmazet
Rifleman

Hello,
This is fantastic work! I've been following your thread, and you are indeed a master craftsman.
I'm looking at getting one of these kits in the new year, but with the intention of RCing it. I just have a couple of questions.

1. How strong is the frame once you filled it? Would it withstand the rigors of having axles and the weight attached to it, and being moved about during operation?

2. What are the tyres made of? Are they plastic or rubber, and if rubber how flexible are they?

Thank you for any answers!

Cheers,
Rik

Last edited by grim_marmazet; 12-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.
grim_marmazet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #125
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_marmazet View Post
Hello,
This is fantastic work! I've been following your thread, and you are indeed a master craftsman.
I'm looking at getting one of these kits in the new year, but with the intention of RCing it. I just have a couple of questions.

1. How strong is the frame once you filled it? Would it withstand the rigors of having axles and the weight attached to it, and being moved about during operation?

2. What are the tyres made of? Are they plastic or rubber, and if rubber how flexible are they?

Thank you for any answers!

Cheers,
Rik

Thanks Rik,

I did not attempt to make the frame strong, I just filled the top of the openings so it would appear solid. I think you may have problems over time with the frame flexing, unless you were going to make some new cross members for it.

The tires are vinyl I think. The come attached to the rims already, but can be removed. The rims are plastic and have extensions that are hidden by the tires that go out almost all the way to the tread. The tires do not attach to the rims in any way other than friction. If you are just going to run the jeep over smooth terrain, they would probably be fine, but I imagine they wouldn't work very well over rough terrain. I can see them slipping on the rims.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #126
grim_marmazet
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_mc View Post
Thanks Rik,

I did not attempt to make the frame strong, I just filled the top of the openings so it would appear solid. I think you may have problems over time with the frame flexing, unless you were going to make some new cross members for it.

The tires are vinyl I think. The come attached to the rims already, but can be removed. The rims are plastic and have extensions that are hidden by the tires that go out almost all the way to the tread. The tires do not attach to the rims in any way other than friction. If you are just going to run the jeep over smooth terrain, they would probably be fine, but I imagine they wouldn't work very well over rough terrain. I can see them slipping on the rims.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the info! I was thinking of going the route others have and replacing the frame with aluminium, i just have to find somewhere to get them cut as I dont have the tools to do it.
I have been looking into casting rubber ones, but it seems far too much hassle, maybe I can find somewhere to get them done as well.
Your build is an inspiration, I will be looking forward to the next instalment!

Cheers,
Rik
grim_marmazet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #127
plane_mc
Sniper

I guess itís been a while since I posted an update, Iím still here.

I started to work on the windshield back in October. I pulled out the clear portion of the windshield and it was warped really badly. I tried to straighten it out in hot water and it ended up all wavy.

I didnít know what to do with it after that. I searched around and couldnít find anything to replace it with. I ended up taking a break from the jeep and built another model out of the box to finish something up. I finished the other model on Christmas day and started working on the jeep again. During the time I was taking a break from it, I searched and searched for a suitable replacement for the windshield and finally came up with a solution. I made a new frame from sheet styrene that encloses new ďglassĒ pieces made from CD case plastic. I left the bottom of the frame loose so I will be able to paint the frame and then put the ďglassĒ in.

I also wanted the windshield to be able to be opened, so I had to figure out a hinge for it. I ended up using a piece of aluminum that I bent around in a semi-circle to make the hinge. I cut a slot in the outer windshield frame to accept the aluminum hinge and then glued the hinge in the slot. I added an extension and a piece of styrene rod to the top of the windshield frame to finish up the hinge. It now looks close to the full size hinge. I also made up the posts/snaps for the top to connect to and added them to the top of the windshield frame.

I also decided to replace the kit mirror so I could make it movable. I made the new one from aluminum tubing, brass rod and plastic. I used the kit "mirror" piece, I will add something to it for the actual mirror face.

I have also been working on adding the small details to the other assemblies that I have already made, but left off the little stuff. The small details are not complicated to make, they just take time.

I have also started priming and painting. Of course, as I prime, I find areas that need to be re-worked. The painting is going to keep me busy for a while.

Thatís all the updates for now, more to come later.
Thanks for looking.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #128
orntar
Mortarman

looking good as always
Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #129
Reef12
Battalion Commander

That is mighty good Mark.

Way to go.

One thing I did was after the same thing as mine was all scratched up ,I went and bought a $3.00 picture frame and cut me a glass piece to replace it with.

I guess your way might be better though.

Good to go and looking killer there.

How did you make those snap deals there?

Keep the pics coming.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #130
Kapernakis
Tanker

Mighty fine work there. The snaps look good, I would also like to know how you made them.
Kapernakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #131
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks everyone.

The snaps were easy, I just used some .035" rod and some .060" or .062" hex rod, I don't have the size right in front of me. I held the .035" rod up to a flame to make the bulged tip. Cut off a slice of the hex rod to make the nut portion of it and drilled a .037" hole through the nut. I drilled out the windshield frame where I wanted the snaps and just cut the .035" rod long enough to go through the nut and into the frame, plus stick out a little.

I can take and post a better picture of them if that explanation doesn't make sense.

Last edited by plane_mc; 01-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #132
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Good to go Mark sounds the plan.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #133
plane_mc
Sniper

I finally finished something!!! It was originally intended to go on the jeep, but after finding a picture of an airfield defense jeep, I changed my mind on the project.

Here is the completed M31C pedestal with M2 .50 cal Heavy Barrel Machine Gun. The M2 is the DML kit, the ammo is Dr. Figures, the ammo can is from DiD, the data plate is from Paul and the rest is scratch built.

This shot is for Paul.

I also got the engine most of the way finished up. I still need to add a few wires and some stickers for the fuel filter, oil filter, generator and starter. I will be adding those later.

Thatís all I have for now. I need to get busy painting so I can get the rest finished up.

Thanks for looking.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #134
plane_mc
Sniper

I forgot to add the picture of the exhaust.

I am pleased with the way it turned out. I tried the salt technique for the first time. This vehicle is going to represent a museum piece that has been restored and run for a short time.

Thanks for looking.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #135
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Dang it all came out good Mark.

Very good indeed.

Thinking of getting a Stuart or a Panzer II by chance?

You need to get that engine casted up I bet would bring some sales there.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #136
viaad
Brigade Commander

Awesome work!

Alfonso

Get a hobby and relax!
viaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #137
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

She's going to be a museum piece fantastic work........Hammer
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #138
Sgt Shultz II

It already IS a museum piece!!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #139
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

That looks 1/1 the detail is amazing. Great Job and research.
GB
Old 02-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #140
tankmad
Machine Gunner

Your attention to detail is fantastic.
Stevie

www.tankworld.co.uk
tankmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #141
flyboy_fx
Machine Gunner

Are those full scale?!?!?!?!?!
flyboy_fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #142
armorpax
Battalion Commander

Superb work!!!!!

Best regards

Dave

armorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #143
gijoe
Sniper

Sell us an engine kit please.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #144
Company Commander

Mark,

This is a piece that really showcases you masterful craftsmanship! You are an incredible builder and friend. I hope your interest in 1/6th continues to grow. I know figures are not your thing...but I hope you will continue to share your modeling skills with us all here on SAG! Truly inspirational to us all! I would give anything to see what you could do with a Stuart or Sherman! I know this project at times tried you patients and even burned you out, but man what a reward! This needs to go "out" in the world and be seen! This should see a competition or too, not for the sake of competing but to share it with fellow modelers!

I thank you for all we have shared and proud to be a very small part of your build. Still working on those labels for you! I have specialized materials on order and awaiting their arrival to begin my trials. I hope they work out as well as I hope. You & your Jeep deserves nothing but my best efforts!

Cheers Mate!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #145
gunfighter
Rifleman

DML 1/4 Ton Truck Kit

I have two of these and need to get started myself. The ammo cases look great. Do you know the source of those?
Thanks
Sam
gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #146
plane_mc
Sniper

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I wish I could make the engine a kit, but I wouldn't know where to begin and I certainly do not want to go through the process of building another one right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfighter View Post
The ammo cases look great. Do you know the source of those?
Thanks
Sam
Sam, the ammo case is from DiD, I forget which figure it came from. I got mine off E-Bay when I first started working on the jeep. The ammo is a separate item that I also got off E-Bay.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #147
GERMANSOLDIER MP44
Sniper

Send a message via Yahoo to GERMANSOLDIER MP44

The detail is absolutely crazy! looks good.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #148
Eddie Acosta
Machine Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to Eddie Acosta

Nice continued work on your project.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #149
plane_mc
Sniper

Just a quick update this evening.

I have been busy painting when time allows. I got the majority of the chassis painted up, still need to paint a few details, but it most of the way done.

I went to an airshow yesterday and this happened to be on display with the military vehicles.

Here is a close-up of some labels that Paul made for me. I apologize for the picture quality Paul, I will get some better pictures soon. The actual labels look much better in person, the picture doesnít do them justice.

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #150
Company Commander

Great stuff Mark!

I'm curious about what you used to paint your back parts with? They really are painted well. Airbrush? The actual color is perfect too. Enamels or acrylic? Very well done! They look real...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #151
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308 View Post
Great stuff Mark!

I'm curious about what you used to paint your back parts with? They really are painted well. Airbrush? The actual color is perfect too. Enamels or acrylic? Very well done! They look real...
All the parts have been primed with the cheap Wal-Mart spray can grey primer. The black engine parts were then sprayed with Wal-Mart spray can gloss black. I have found that if you just apply it in light, quick coats, it will dry semi-gloss. For the OD, I am using Model Master Enamel OD and spraying it with an airbrush over the primer. Hope that helps.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #152
plane_mc
Sniper

I havenít updated in a while but I have been steadily working on the jeep, just havenít posted my progress.

Here is the wiring done to the body before it can be mounted to the chassis.

Here is the chassis ready for the body to be mounted.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by plane_mc; 06-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #153
plane_mc
Sniper

Well I am happy to say that after almost 2 years of working on this jeep, it is finally finished.

First off, I would like to thank 2 people.
Jeff, thank you for the inspiration for this build, I watched you build yours while I was debating about getting this kit. When I saw how yours was turning out, I knew I had to build one too.
Paul . . . What can I say, you pushed me when I wanted to quit. You provided me with so many accessories and so much help along the way. I would have never finished this without your help. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Enough of that, onto the pictures.

I decided to make this a museum piece, so here it is with the M31C Pedestal and .50 cal that I started out with and a sign like a museum would put out.
All markings have been painted on using home-made stencils. The data plates and gauges are Paulís excellent set.
I still need to add the stenciling to the ammo boxes. I need to find some dry transfers to make them. I donít think I can cut out a stencil with lettering that small.

Here is the finished Jeep.

I forgot to take a picture of the glovebox open, so here is an older picture.

This one is for Paul. Thank you again.

This is my work space, all cleaned up and ready for the next project.

I donít know what is next, I keep looking at my stash and canít figure out what I want to build next. It will probably be a simple, small scale kit out of the box. I need a break before I tackle another project like this.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by plane_mc; 06-03-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Pictures not showing up.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #154
Company Commander

Mark, glad to have made a friend, and play a very small part in your build. This is a stunning piece! The engine looks like you could walk out to the garage and fire it right up!

A masterpiece build. Hope you take it to the IMPS. It is certainly a show stopper!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #155
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

That is in a museum right? Looks 1/1 for sure, a supreme build. Something to be very proud off.
GB
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #156
Jhtrickey3
Tanker

Wow!!! That is damn impressive and knocks your socks off. The wiring and all the detail are incredible. Just amazing. Excellent, excellent work! Nothing was missed....

Joe

BTW is that a 105 shell casing there over by your desk?
Jhtrickey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #157
viaad
Brigade Commander

A museum quality build indeed! Amazing and very accurate detail that you acheived! So, whats your next project, any idea?

Alfonso

Get a hobby and relax!
viaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #158
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Wow is all I can say and yes put it in a show.

Best of Show easy.

How about the Panzer II?

Jeff
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #159
Sgt Shultz II

Incredible!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #160
gijoe
Sniper

How many hours do you think you have in this crazy (as in good) detailed jeep? Your work is unreal and looks 1/1 side by side the real thing. You should post a real picture of a jeep restored that nice and then yours with the same view or angle, ect.
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #161
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhtrickey3 View Post
BTW is that a 105 shell casing there over by your desk?
Thanks Joe, yes that is a 105 casing by the desk. It is a souvenir taken right off the Abrams that fired it.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #162
plane_mc
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
How many hours do you think you have in this crazy (as in good) detailed jeep? Your work is unreal and looks 1/1 side by side the real thing. You should post a real picture of a jeep restored that nice and then yours with the same view or angle, ect.
Thanks gijoe, I don't know how many hours, I am afraid to try to figure it out - way more than I want to think it is I'm sure.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #163
plane_mc
Sniper

Thank you to everyone that commented. This build was a huge learning process for me. I used many techniques and materials that I had never tried before and had to figure out solutions to many problems that came up along the way.

I learned a lot from this community watching all the other builds and seeing how everyone else does things. I appreciate the way everyone here shares information and tips on how to do things, not all forums operate in the same way.

I don't know what project is next, I have been trying to figure out what to do next since I finished this. I have a couple more 1/6 scale projects that I want to do, but I don't know when I will get to them, I want to build something simple and both of the 1/6 projects are going to require a lot of scratch building again.

Tags
dml jeep