Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
stefano
Banned

dragon fallschirmjager helmet accuracy?

Dragon Gustav Beyer and Lucas Koch german fallschirmjagers of cassino 1944 have both the same helmet model M38 with blue/white/red badge on one side and eagle on the other which i tought was not in use or at least not with badges in 1944.
A part the colour which in realiy should have been slighlty greenesh is this helmet correct for `1944?
thanks very much!
stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Zulu
Rifleman

Hi stefano,

You know how we humans are. We forget, we bend the rules, we don't have time. It's no different with these German soldiers. Even though the decal was ordered removed from the helmets in 1943, not everyone did. Though definitely not common in the later stages of the war, decals in all army branches were present after the order in 1943.

Maybe these Fallschirmjaeger didn't have enough kick back time to take the decals off? In other words, the decals are fine.
Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Krieger
Battalion Commander

The decals may be fine, but the helmet straps are inaccurate.
This is what it's supposed to look like:

Right side

Left side

And this is what it does look like:

I don't know if you can see from the pix or not, but the strap on the left side of the head is wider at the bottom. The buckle is attached to this part. The strap passes through this buckle and doubles back on itself (showing the back side of the strap) and attaches on the right side of the head.

Here's a DML helmet with hand-made straps.

The DiD helmet is better, but still not quite right. If you're a stickler for accuracy, you will have to make your own straps.

K.
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
stefano
Banned

hallo krieger
thanks for the excellent pics and the point you making about the helmet accuracy i did not know
that
thanks again
stefano
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
stefano
Banned

ok zulu i will leave the decals on
but thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
baggypantsdevil
Sniper

Don't forget the spanner bolts. The M38 FJ helmet had different spanner bolts (3 holes) which can be seen in the photo of the reproduction helmet above. The DML FJ helmets use the earlier style spanner bolt originally seen on the M35 which was not often used on the later style of FJ helmets.
Here are some photos of my improved FJ helmet with corrected spanner bolts made from styrene discs cut with a Walden sub-miniature hole punch and counter-sunk.

I also thinned the first 2-3 cm of the inside of the rim with a dremel tool in order to make it more to scale although it is difficult to see from the angles of these photos. The netting was cut from a small doily. I have not yet made an improved strap and the painting, weathering and chipping are still a work in progress.
As far as decals go for Italy 1944 I would remove the tri-colored decal as it was not typically seen at this late stage of the war. The silver eagle could go either way, although most FJ helmets in this theater of the war were camouflaged with paint and or mud and subsequently the eagle was often covered over.

-Kevin
baggypantsdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
arbomambo
Company Commander

Or you could try to find some Toys City FJ Helmets...IMO...the shell is very nice...smaller and a little more prototypically sized for most HS's...
They're tough to come by...even better isthe VERY RARe 'one-off' BBi helmet made for their winter FJ officer...
The DML (standard) is the best generally available, barring the Toys City helmets (The DiD helmets are poor...shape is poor, and detail is non-existent)
With or without decals, the tan painted helmets represented most Monte Cassino FJs...so the DML helmets are as accurate in paint terms...)
Here are some of my Toys City helmets painted and textured as they would represent 'Normandy'FJs from the 3rd FJ Division, or FJR6....
Bruce

Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
stefano
Banned

wow baggypants
really fantastic pics thank you!!!
i am not very good with modifications
so i am incline to leave this figure as it is so a part Cassino 1944 would this figure be accurate in its uniform helmet and weapons for any other part ofww2 may be early war?!
what do you think?!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Dougmo
Battalion Commander

I'm with Krieger: before you worry about the helmet decals you have to make your own straps, snaps and buckles. Anything else is just so far off target...
Here's what I did-
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal...4ea5d653b465b5
Old 12-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
stefano
Banned

dougmo thanks for your help
and excellent pics
Old 12-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Reguarding helmet decals, 1st there was an order that the tricolor shield was to be removed from all helmets, some ignored the order and didn't remove them even some makers of the helmets continued to apply the tricolor shield after the order. The later another order was given that the eagles were to be removed from the helmets and again some didn't follow this order either and same with the makers of the helmets. There are pictures of the m42 helmet at the depots with both the tricolor and eagle decals on the helmets. So you can be accurate with or without helmet decals. At some point the SS were ordered to remove the swastika shield from their helmets and then the SS ruhne shield as well and again this was not always followed
Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
stefano
Banned

excellent replay thank you panzerwest