Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Is there a need for proper 1/6th scale wheels & tyres?

Well, I know there are some proper 1/6 scale wheels & tyres that I would like to have, but I wonder if anyone else finds the lack of good wheels & tyres something that should be adressed? Just like modern cars, proper wheels & tyres are an important part of the overall visual appearance of a vehicle.

With the introduction of free/low cost 3d design tools and low cost 3d printers, this might be something for a community project? I've done some research and to print a 3d master of a 9.00 x 16 tyre with rim would cost about €200,=. Once the master is available, it's a matter of finding someone to create moulds and cast them.

What do you guys think?
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Reef12
Battalion Commander

re: Is there a need for proper 1/6th scale wheels & tyres?

Does not Steve make most of the wheels now?

Jeff
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
rivetcounter
Platoon Leader

There is a guy in Germany who makes alloy wheels and rubber tyres with hubs for the jeep, they are 250€ for a set of 4, not sure what other tyres he makes in 1/6 most of his trucks are 1/8 scale
rivetcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
chamildav
Battalion Commander

Wheels (and tracks) are one of the most needed parts for 1/6th modellers. They can be very difficult to create and then reproduce in the needed number. The more types made available to the public the better.
Metal wheels and rubber tires for the Jeep sound nice, but 250 euro is a little expensive for most people doing static models.
Steve at panzerwerk does several wheels and tires in resin and they are very accurate 1/6th scale representations. Take a look and see if he might not be producing what your looking for.
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

I would like to see and I think there is a need for real rubber or vinyl tires and plastic or metal rims made. The Resin ones are nice but I like the 2 piece wheels and tires. Back in the day SOTW sold a set of jeep wheels and tires. You got a couple loose tires and wheels and a couple assembled tires. I bought every set I could find. At $9.00 they were a steal! What ever they used for the wheel itself is a good compound because they are still in perfect shape. No smell or deterioration at all. The only problem is there are so many different wheel tire combinations for both German and US vehicles what ones would they need to make and be successful at it? IMO a company like DML who already has molds for parts like tracks, wheels and rims should make these parts available in boxed lit form. I know they will never do it why make the collector happy but I think there would be a decent profit in it for them.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus

Last edited by johnro6659; 09-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
rivetcounter
Platoon Leader

250€ for alloy wheels and tyres sounds expensive but these are made to order the chap has neither the capacity nor funds to mass produce wheels and tyres if he could make them in large numbers then yes they would be less but let’s face it not many people would put their hands in their pockets to buy replacement tyres not unless they were 10€ each or less even the Chinese can’t make them for so title, for me decent tyres and wheels for my RC jeep is worth every penny, I just have to get him to make Kübelwagen tyres next
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Company Commander

Re: Is there a need for proper 1/6th scale wheels & tyres?

In my opinion there would be a a niche to fill. I wish there was someone who made good rubber tires and rims. 250 Euro? Eek, that is a little tough to swallow. And I do understand the expense of making customs! So I do not begrudge them charging what they do for them.

As for Panzerwerks, he does excellent work! Many of Steve's parts grace my vehicles, but for tires in 1/6th I would prefer real rubber tires if I could get my hands on them. Perhaps Tao Wan, Toy Model, or someone might offer them in the future.

I wounder if prices could be dropped by making the rims out of resin or hard plastic like the way Dragon produces them. Leave the rims solid, so the creator using them has options of how to fit them to their vehicle.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
amji
Rifleman

Hi guys

I also in despered need for 900-16 tires
and I would love to see the dunlop trackgrip 900-16 in 1:6
http://www.vmvc.org.au/vmvc1au/vmvc/...1au/tyre-1.jpg

maybe we can find a lot of members who want those and find a companie who wants to produce a number.....

Kind Regards AmJi

Last edited by Sixth Vanguard; 09-04-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked picture
amji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Littletankman
Machine Gunner

Hi mate , I think a set of the wider of road tyres / wheels to fit the Schwimwagen would be popular

Andy
Littletankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
battlezone
Battalion Commander

May as well put my .02 worth in. Rubber, ya sure would be nice. Ever gonna happen........ no. I've been s-l-o-w-l-y adding Panzerwerks wheels for my vehicles, and i just can't see anyone, anywhere, matching the detail. Price? jesus, they're freakin cheap man! I picked up a set for my 222 not to long ago, and a set for my Puma. Dam, imagine what a set of rubber tires would run for a Puma?????? I'm not R/C'ing them, so....... And I know Steve doesn't recommend it but I think a set of his wheels would stand up to LIGHT r/c'ing. I do agree with John, there are enough 'overseas' makers of vehicles now that they could offer wheel and tire combos, (along with other bits and bobs) at somewhat reasonable prices. But I don't see that happening.

M.
battlezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

I for one don't care about tge material. If it looks good, it is good enoygh for me. I end up painting them most of tge time. And if tge rubber is glossy black, then it is more of a pain. Of course I'm a static modeller.
The only problem for me of the resin wheels is the weight... But Steve's tires are amazing.
We might not have all the tires and track iinks we need, but we have a lot. Ten years ago people in this hobby were excited about LAWNMOWER wheels and molded belts for tracks... Que siga la fiesta.

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

The tires on the Limbers for my 88 are lawn mower tires and what a pain they were to find and make. Steve's wheels and tires have saved me a LOT of time and they don't Stink. Think about all the problems we have had with the tires from the other side of the pond.
GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
I for one don't care about tge material. If it looks good, it is good enoygh for me. I end up painting them most of tge time. And if tge rubber is glossy black, then it is more of a pain. Of course I'm a static modeller.
The only problem for me of the resin wheels is the weight... But Steve's tires are amazing.
We might not have all the tires and track iinks we need, but we have a lot. Ten years ago people in this hobby were excited about LAWNMOWER wheels and molded belts for tracks... Que siga la fiesta.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Thanks for all the comments guys. I agree that Panzerwerk's tyres are excellent but most of them are for german vehicles.
Aside from a British truck wheel, a Dingo wheel and a American wheel he does not carry other allied wheels. In addition, his wheels are tyre & rim combo's, which limits their usability (for me) as a modeler.

Personally I'm looking for resin wheels but I know there is an interest in rubber wheels also for those of you who like to RC your vehicles. It might be possible to satisfy both needs of seperate masters could be made for tyres and rims. The same wheel master could be used (I think) to cast rubber and resin wheels.
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
George
Rifleman

Yes there is.

I for one am in need of rubber tires for my 1/6 Schwimwwagon R.C conversion. I know that there is static tires in plastic But because of the fact my vehicle is to be r.c Rubber Tires would give better performance and handling and scale looks.

Anyone know of an affordable seller please join in.

Thanks

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
rivetcounter
Platoon Leader

George, this question has been answered already but to answer your question again there are no rubber combat tyres for the Schwimmwagen as for “Affordable” I assume this means cheap, this you won’t get you will have to commission a set and this will defiantly not come cheap probably somewhere in the 3-350€ region for the first set then the rest will be less but not much less, I got a set of alloy wheels ant rubber tyres for my jeep these were commissioned by someone else a set of 4 cost 250€ these were made in Germany, I don’t know if he has any tyres for the Schwimmwagen
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
George
Rifleman

Hi rivetcounter

Thanks for the update reg. the rubber tires. I thought by asking that maybe someone new had come forth or was in the process of making some that I might include an offer on. As for affordable I did not mean cheap BUT I also don`t have a deep wallet and Euro conversion to Canadian is not good plus the S&H. I also understand what custom work involves and No one can do that for free unless they won the Euro Lottery and like to play with machines.

Thanks for the update though.

George
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
rivetcounter
Platoon Leader

George, may I suggest you build the Schwimmwagen first with the standard plastic wheels and hard tyres as by the time you have finished there may be some in the process of being made, there are 4-5 others interested in the combat rims and tyres
Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
George
Rifleman

Hi rivetcounter

I am already in the process of building the schwimwaggon. With it`s original hard plastic tires and rim, there is a way to joint the wheels to the suspension But I thought IF there was rubber tires and rims then I could mount them and be done with that.

Lets hope there will be some rubber tires available in the near future, it would be great!

George
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
xacto11
Company Commander

I thought the Dragon schwimmwagen used the same rubber tires and plastic rims as their kubelwagen.
xacto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
rivetcounter
Platoon Leader

George, is referring to the wider combat rims fitted to the Schwimmwagen, you are right in that Dragon does used the same wheels as used on the Kübelwagen this is also correct for the Schwimmwagen these are narrower as opposed to the wider type more suited to off road driving, Schwimmwagen used 3 different types of wheels in 2 different width’s.
Dragon’s standard rubber tyres are very hard and don’t really grip well the other problem with the wheels and tyres is that they are all warped some more than others and doesn’t look good when the vehicle is moving having said that they were only intended as a static model
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
George
Rifleman

Hello Again rivetcounter

Wow how do you know ALL of that reg. the tires? I should forward my future questions to you directly, if you don`t mind.

George
Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
rivetcounter
Platoon Leader

George, it’s all in the detail which I have an eye for I have studied a number of pictures on this subject for my own Kübelwagen and Schwimmwagen builds.