Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
mulezilla
Sniper

R/C Hasbro M3 halftrack

Hi guys, I just wanted to share some pictures of the m3 half track I have been R/C-ing. It went fairly easy as I used a track drive unit out of a Stuart tank and just replaced the final drive out put shaft with a longer one so I had 2 sides to work with. The drive wheel is 1/2 Stuart and 1/2 m3 as both fit into each other so the tracks power only on the inside edge, The tracks are Stuart tracks cut down to length and the whole set up works well. Still need to install a radio and work on the steering but im not thinking it should be much work as the front end is very stout and the wheel already steer so most of the work is done. The nice thing is the main gun covers the motor/gear unit so there is not much left to see of the install....will post more as I progress.................................mule

Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #2
paydan
Sniper

Great job mule! I am always inspired by your creations and look forward to seeing what you come up with. Keep 'em coming. Very well done.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
stug
Sniper

Very clever. I really like the look of it without the rear body. Shame they didn't produce some kind of flatbed or small fuel tanker.
stug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
cablecommander
Company Commander

that looks really cool. I love seeing these R/C vehicles.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
paydan
Sniper

Mule,

Any chance we might see a video of this baby in action. I love you conversions and am thinking of attempting one of my own. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Cheers,
Paydan
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
mulezilla
Sniper

Hi Paydan, have just started back working on the m3 was waiting for the electronic speed controller to come off back order I should have some pictures in a few days of it running.....mule
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
DATBlaster
Rifleman

Can you show how you connected the Stuart drive sprocket to the new drive axle? Ken.
DATBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
mulezilla
Sniper

Sure Ken I will take some pictures today all the ones I took when I built it I lost when my old computer died....................Ron
Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Now how cool is that!!

Cant wait to see this baby when finished.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
mulezilla
Sniper

Hi Ken, The Stuart drive sprocket breaks down into a couple of pieces, I removed the outer sprocket and just used the center drum and the inner sprocket so the track is only powered by the inside edge of the track. I did this as the "drive" sprocket of the m3's outer half fits into the Stuarts sprocket so you really donít see the Stuart's gear and you maintain the look of the m3's running gear. To attach the sprocket to the drive shaft I bought a new set of "shaft to sprocket" connectors that I think the old Field Of Armor sold and bolted them to the sprocket with a blind nut. then they just slip over the end of the axel shaft and tighten down with a set screw. If you cant find the connectors anymore as I looked before I posted this and could not find them you can use 4 Wheel collars that R/C airplane flyers use to hold their wheels on the landing gear shafts. I try and use 4 if there is room if not 3 will work, slip them over a wood dowel to line them up then solder them together and you have a coupling. Home depot sells a brass nut that "almost" fits the inside of the Stuarts sprocket ( donít forget to get 2 screws with the nuts about 3-4" long ) you will need to file the nut down some to get it to fit the hex pattern of the drive sprocket. Cut the end off the screw so you have a "threaded rod", screw the nut on and you want to put it in the sprocket so you have enough sticking out the end of the sprocket to place a cap nut on it wile making sure you have enough to fit into the coupling and keeping the filed down nut in the hex end of the sprocket .....lol.... once you get the length right then solder the filed down nut to the screw as you donít want the screw to be able to unscrew it's self. Once you are happy with the fit you can use epoxy and fill the void around the screw for some more strength and if you need to remove the sprocket from the shaft just loosen a set screw on the coupling and pull it off.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
battlezone
Battalion Commander

Man, you are the R/C King! Great job on this conversion!

Mark.
battlezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #12
mulezilla
Sniper

Thanks Mark, I have been working on converting a DID kett and what a piece of junk, how in gods name could they state that this thing is R/C ready???? Why on earth would they glue everything you need to take apart to install the gear!!!! anyway I did manage to get it running and im happy with the paint job so I will post some pictures of it in a day or so to see what you guys think.............Ron
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

Man I wish I had your talent. I have all of these static vehicles I would love to RC. Its definitely the way to go. Your stuff alway rocks.