Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

Project 'Wehrmacht Firepower' - Nebelwerfer

G'day all,

Yes, I've posted a bit of late pertaining to weapons of the Wehrmacht, suffice to say I'm on a roll with several on the go and the latest to add is DiD's all-metal 15cm Nebelwerfer which roughly translates to 'Smoke thrower' or mortar but was more infamously known amongst the Allies as the 'Moaning Minnie'.

The Type 41 fired six 15cm smoke or HE rounds (fired alternately to ensure stability for the launcher during firing). Normally fired in batteries for maximum wide-area effect, the Nebelwerfer troops had to be masters of their trade in terms of quickly set-up, fire and pack-up in order to redeploy to avoid counter-battery fire (the smoke from the grenades when fired a very telling location signature) though more often than not two to three salvos could be launched in quick succession by well-trained crews before moving location.

Additionally, camouflaged launchers were just as susceptible to being found due to the blast from the firing which tended to leave a scorched patch to the rear of the launcher which made them easily identifiable to Allied 'Jabo'.

I've had four of the DiD types in the collection for some years (along with their accessory packs) and whilst I only intend to have one as part of the 'Firepower' display I thought why not 'process line' them for a diorama idea. The rounds that came with the accessory packs are somewhat weight being of a metal alloy so I had a mate 3d print some plastic variants for the launchers (as well as transit cases) whilst the metal ones will provide 'next salvo'. Full and discarded transit containers will be placed around the scene for added detail along with crews and vehicles (such is the plan). The launchers have been so-far fully repainted though, as yet, to apply weathering and fine detailing.

I highly recommend the DiD Nebelwerfer, easy to assemble, to handle and to redo and its relative small size makes it easy to display. More pics to follow as the build process continues.

Enjoy, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 171143946.jpg (140.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 171143947.jpg (173.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 171143948.jpg (121.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 171143949.jpg (144.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 171143950.jpg (121.3 KB, 34 views)
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Re: Project 'Wehrmacht Firepower' - Nebelwerfer

Nice set of nebelwerfers and you know what they say: there's no such thing as 'too much ammo'...
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

Damn straight and with the werfers a hungry beast I had to ensure there were enough rounds for desert. Cheers, Steve
Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #4
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Dude how cool are you, a battery of Nebelwerfers, that's bad ass!!!
Old 10-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

For an scene involving artillery, it's only fitting that the field piece be surrounded by plenty of ammo in order to give it the effects of a true gunline.

With that in-mind, the rather mundane - but necessary - task of painting and detailing enough 15cm Nebel rounds and transit cases for four launchers has now been done to make a total of 48 rounds and 28 transit cases. The 3d printed rounds for the launchers (reducing the weight of the launcher overall), the heavier metal-alloy rounds that come with the accessory packs providing the second salvo (to be positioned near each launcher ready for loading) with the transit cases, some empty, some not - to the rear.

The metal rounds required three coats - oxide primer, coat of Citadel black and basecoat of Humbrol field grey. A final coat of matt lacquer ensures a reduction in chipping given the material. Whilst I've stencilled all the metal rockets, the plastic rounds for the launchers have only the HE component so-stencilled.

With all that done, it's now time for the finer detailing of the launchers. Crews will be assembled last. As a sidenote of another rocket launcher that'll be part of the 'Wehrmacht Firepower' show - I found several Wurfgeret 41s in one of my storage boxes with the intent of using one to be positioned next to one Nebelwerfer for the show. Enjoy, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 171154693.jpg (110.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 171154694.jpg (105.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 171154695.jpg (119.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 171154697.jpg (113.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Hi Steve,

Could you please share how you stencilled the containers?

Cheers,

Randall
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

Regards the 'stencilling', I actually applied the hand-drawn' method which took a bit of concentration. I wrote out what I wanted to apply first on blank paper in order to get the scale right and then applied to the models in fine-tipped white paintpen for the rounds and fine-point black 'Sharpie' for the containers. Will get some close-up pics and post. I had thought decals for the containers however given they are plastic 3d print (hence some fine printing lines) I suspected they may not adhere smoothly enough sans those that came with the accessory kits. White decals are a problem given the sheets I use - whilst good for black - are near useless for other colours (though if anyone knows of decal paper that is applicable then please let me know as I'm sure that is a 'bug-bear' of many on the SAG. Cheers, Steve
Old 11-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
weaselt24
Rifleman

Lovely weapon. I have one.
Looking for more.
Make a nice addition to my Panzer werfer 43.
Btw, did Panzerwerfer units work in cohesion with both types of equipment?
weaselt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
sassgrunt
Rifleman

I am trying to build a Wurfgerat 41 launcher mounted on a Renault UE. I have read (or, I THINK I have read) that on the uniform for rocket troops, the shoulder epaulets and the collar patches were bordered in red, (as opposed for what would be white on an infantry uniform, for example). Do you know if this is true, and if so, is there a rocket troop figure with the correct uniform? (My launcher came from the Dragon kit; actually two of them so that I could get four 32cm rockets. I have an infantry figure to use as a driver but have not tried to change his uniform colors to red yet). Thank you. -Mike
sassgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:24 AM   #10
Kapernakis
Tanker

Again some excellent work.

sassgrunt the shoulder board color is Bordeaux.

Kapernakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:50 AM   #11
sassgrunt
Rifleman

Thank you VERY much - that helps a lot!
sassgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

Lovely weapon. I have one.
Looking for more.
Make a nice addition to my Panzer werfer 43.
Btw, did Panzerwerfer units work in cohesion with both types of equipment?

Cheers for the kind comments (and also the waffenfarbe which I'll seek to utilise for the crews). As for whether or not werfer units (encompassing differing types of equipment) worked together, I suspect as the war ground-on that it would not be uncommon in order to achieve the desired effect on a target though I've yet to come across any period pictures illustrating such (pics of the various werfers in-action are of a single type or a mix of variants of the same type. If I do find a pic I'll be to sure to post. Would like to see pics of your Panzerwerfer 43 though?. Cheers, Steve