Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #11
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Re: DML Jeep build

Dang between you and Mark you are slaying these Jeeps.

Oops 4 X 4's .LOL

Jeff
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
SgtUSMC
Mortarman

Very nice job on the engine, hope to see them on the market when your with your build.
SgtUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
orntar
Mortarman

thanks guys.

Once I finally got the kit, I started filling in the frame for the exposed areas.

With that out of the way I checked the alignment and lengths for the bell housing and gear box.

Here is where it lined up with the body.

With the measurements pegged down (I hope), I started fabricating the bell housing and gear box.

The model comes with the radiator molded into the front clip/shroud. I didn't like that, so I cut it off for more realism, and to be able to paint it properly.
orntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

That's coming along nicely, keep us updated.........Hammer
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
prvtnoclass
Company Commander

Absolutely amazing work! Your scratch building skills are most impressive. Looking forward to more progress.
prvtnoclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
orntar
Mortarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by prvtnoclass View Post
Absolutely amazing work! Your scratch building skills are most impressive. Looking forward to more progress.
Thanks!

Finished the transfer case

The bumper came molded in a few large pieces instead of being four horn mounts like the real thing. I cut it up and added some strips for bulking it up. I will be later adding wood filler like they did in the day

Engine mounts (and the open bumper)

I started working the leaf springs and axles. The rear will need quite a bit of work to make it more realistic. Here I am bulking up the axles so I can cement them to the rear drums

The model calls for cementing the rear drums to the wheels then the whole thing would rotate. On the real jeep, the drum back stay static, and I will be adding brake lines and other details, so that won’t work. That will probably be the next update.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
redball
Machine Gunner

Looking good ! I will be following this build also with much interest as I have other DML Jeep builds. Must say it all makes for great inspiration and to motivate me.
redball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
orntar
Mortarman

Thanks, redball, hope I can pull it off.

After checking alignment, and taking lots of measurements, I finished up the gear box and bell housing

I don't know if it is me or the kit, but the alignment from the front of the engine to the transfer case (and that's a long travel) ended up being longer then I calculated. So the gear box and bell housing grew a little. I don't think anyone will notice once its installed. (I hope)

I got the rear brake line installed. turned out pretty good, but not exactly as I had hoped.

rear drum

brake connection
Old 06-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
orntar
Mortarman

I finally finished the brake system, and I am nearly finished with the frame. I ordered a 50 cal pedestal mount and tow hitch from eastcoastarmory. Once I have the hitch, I will be ready to prime and paint the frame/chassis.

Master cylinder

Front

Rear

here is the start of filling in the shocks, they are now finished and mounted

Old 06-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
orntar
Mortarman

For any one who has completed this model before, how did you paint the two lens turn signals in the back?

All the other lights have a recess for painting and enough plastic for gluing. The two lens ones have no recess, and no extra plastic for gluing. If your supposed to paint on the top, then why is it clear plastic?

Tags
dml jeep, dragon, jeep, kit, model