Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
Pangaea95
Site Admin

SAG 14th Anniversary - and announcement

I would like to wish all the members and staff a happy anniversary, we are in our 14th year together and it is with a heavy heart that I bear the news....not sure how to word this so I'm just gonna say it, the SAG will be going offline soon, due to our antiquated software failing and the unmanageable cost of replacing and rebuilding our current site. We have been seeking alternatives that would bring us up to the times and make us current with modern platforms. We have yet to find and make a decision as to where and what, but in the meantime to keep us all together and to be able to communicate updates and progress on current projects etc, we have set up a Facebook group for us. It is a private group for SAG members only and viewable by SAG members only and you will need to use your SAG user name to gain entry. Just follow link to apply for membership and when prompted answer entry question with your SAG user name

http://www.facebook.com/groups/sixtharmygroup

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and will keep everyone updated, but do know, we are uncertain as to the stability of the board software and can not say with any certainty how long the forum will be accessible and are doing our best to come up with solution. WE appreciate your patience, and your participation, it's been a great 14 years, looking forward to many more!!!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Squidley
Company Commander

Re: SAG 14th Anniversary

Gasp! I've been here since the first week. I know you guys have worked hard to keep it going. Is there any way to save all of the content?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 AM   #3
tankfan0720
Mortarman

I don't know which is worse news - hearing this site is going down, or having to use FB. I can't find anything on FB, except what the daily post is by someone. But "everyone is using it" these days so I guess it is inevitable to be assimilated.

Would it be possible to make a better site if people chipped in a little? I'm not opposed to yearly dues in the $20-25 range.

I subscribe to RCscalebuilder, its an awesome site, its not FB format, its available to people worldwide. People pay ($20 yearly, $150 lifetime) to subscribe. Seems to keep it going.

Is there a definite "off line" date for SAG?

I've enjoyed this site.-Bob

Last edited by tankfan0720; 06-07-2018 at 01:31 AM.
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
USMCPrice
Mortarman

Wow, that sucks. I guess it is what it is. Not interested in going back to Facebook, I have an account but stepped away from it a while back. Too much drama and click-bait.
I enjoyed my time here. So I guess it's goodbye.
USMCPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
Rolling Thunder Tech
Company Commander

Well it's been a fun and grand ride. I would definitely make a donation towards new equipment.

As far as FB goes, I don't go there. This has been my favorite one-sixth forum and can't even remember the last time I checked on any of the others. Guess I'll have to start looking.

I would like to thank all of the original start up people for this site, the moderators and all the members that I have enjoyed reading and responding to their posts. Feels like the end of an era.

Bye everyone, though maybe I'll see ya on other forums.

Leonard
RTT
Rolling Thunder Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
USMCPrice
Mortarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPrice View Post
Wow, that sucks. I guess it is what it is. Not interested in going back to Facebook, I have an account but stepped away from it a while back. Too much drama and click-bait.
I enjoyed my time here. So I guess it's goodbye.
Guess I lied. Joined the Facebook group last night because my son (SgtPriceUSMC on this board, and I didn't realize he was a member here until the last couple months), sent me a screen shot of a photo shoot from ya'lls Facebook page.

I like the idea of the fundraiser, I contributed to the previous one and would do so again. (Do we get a bronze star in lieu of a second award on our ribbon?-Just kidding)

One other question. I like the closed Facebook group, keeps problems out, but it also keeps out potential new members. Could you open a second, parrallel Facebook page where you repost pictures and such (teasers), but scrubbed of the original posters data, and provide a link back to this board for those who want to see more? Might draw in some new blood and get the participation here back up.

BTW, he's got something big planned (the son). He's painting and building like a madman. Stay tuned it will blow you away. He's just finishing repainting a number of my vehicles in Marine Corps green, supplies are piling up, vehicles and equipment are being modified, standby for a 1/6 battle like you've never seen!

Last edited by USMCPrice; 06-16-2018 at 01:08 PM.
USMCPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
panzerwerk
Division Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPrice View Post
Guess I lied. Joined the Facebook group last night because my son (SgtPriceUSMC on this board, and I didn't realize he was a member here until the last couple months), sent me a screen shot of a photo shoot from ya'lls Facebook page.

I like the idea of the fundraiser, I contributed to the previous one and would do so again. (Do we get a bronze star in lieu of a second award on our ribbon?-Just kidding)

One other question. I like the closed Facebook group, keeps problems out, but it also keeps out potential new members. Could you open a second, parrallel Facebook page where you repost pictures and such (teasers), but scrubbed of the original posters data, and provide a link back to this board for those who want to see more? Might draw in some new blood and get the participation here back up.

BTW, he's got something big planned (the son). He's painting and building like a madman. Stay tuned it will blow you away. He's just finishing repainting a number of my vehicles in Marine Corps green, supplies are piling up, vehicles and equipment are being modified, standby for a 1/6 battle like you've never seen!

Thanks for the awesome post , i know a lot of folks have strong feelings about facebook , I did too till I learned how to use it , first off you pretty much have total control over your account as in who is your friends , who see's your posts , and what you post can be set so only certain folks see it, second if you think its a personal privacy thing and your worried about those things , I understand , but if you already have a smart phone , that info is already out there and facebook will get nothing more from you except what you share with them .
also , the features for the page we set up have great options , I put up all my printable items in PDF , including some great pages I found on the web of misc WWII items , it will be easier for loading up documents like instructions and you cant beat the free photo hosting .
you can also load up a fake name account ,just make it real sounding and set up a email just for that account .

Again I do understand if you do not want too , I know Reese has gone over backwards to keep this board going , its a ton of work for him and money , but were dead in the water .
we could find new software and do a new board but again in 4-5 years that will be outdated and we will be right back here dead in the water , at least with facebook they handle all the updates and take care of the security , and its free .
Old 06-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #8
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankfan0720 View Post
I don't know which is worse news - hearing this site is going down, or having to use FB. I can't find anything on FB, except what the daily post is by someone. But "everyone is using it" these days so I guess it is inevitable to be assimilated.

Would it be possible to make a better site if people chipped in a little? I'm not opposed to yearly dues in the $20-25 range.

I subscribe to RCscalebuilder, its an awesome site, its not FB format, its available to people worldwide. People pay ($20 yearly, $150 lifetime) to subscribe. Seems to keep it going.

Is there a definite "off line" date for SAG?

I've enjoyed this site.-Bob
We understand that many don’t use Facebook, but in a pinch it was easy to set up, we will also keep people updated on the Sixth Div as well should we go down, no def offline date but there is the need to prepare, as far as backing up data I personally have been printing up threads anc saving as .pdf’s, but beyond that I can’t say as we are unable to back the forum up as a whole. We are looking into Tapatalk and other platforms as an alternative

Last edited by Pangaea95; 06-07-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Pangaea95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

The board will stay up, as-is, until the end of July when our hosting run s out. After that it will more than likely be a signpost pointing to the FB group until something else is arranged.

We have been struggling with this decision for the past few years. A number of factors, that just seem to add up, contribute to the decision.

1. Annual actual cash cost for board hosting. Currently it is about $600 per year and slowly goes up as the host has to maintain and monitor the antiquated system we are using to run the board. By modern software standards it is a huge mess of security patches on top of what is essentially an system that cannot be made secure. While there is nothing of any monetary value actually on our board, the vulnerabilities are a problem for the servers we run on and the other sites hosted on them. It is completely understandable why this increases risk, and thus costs, for the host.

2. We could upgrade to a new system, but the cost in cash, time and effort to upgrade the board is too great at the moment, especially time and effort. It would still cost around $500 a year (we use a lot of database space for all the posts our members have made in the past 14 years). There is no guarantee we could move the existing posts to a new system.

3. Lack of use, waning interest. I would have to go look at site stats to know for sure, but I think we all know the board just isn't as active as it once was.

4. Lastly, at least for me, it is a bit painful to see the board essential fall apart Things stop working and about the only thing we can do is say "sorry, old board, can't fix it".

It is that last reason, for me, I am loathe to do another member support drive. We could raise the $600 and keep it up another year, and possibly do that until we can no longer raise the money, but it feels sort of a cheat if the board isn't up to the standards it once held. Again, at least to me.

I have turned of the pagination on the posts. This means posts now show all on one page, some rather long. What this does is makes it easier to save posts on your own. You can just right click the page and do a "save as" and save it somewhere on your computer. You can also use the "Thread Tools" option and click "Show Printable Version" and either save that page or print it to a PDF if you want.

I want to thank Randy for being the driving force behind setting up the FB group and helping give us all a place to move to or simply keep in touch if we want.

Will keep you all informed of any news around the fate of the board.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
panzerwerk
Division Commander

Re: SAG 14th Anniversary - and announcement

Thanks Reese !!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #11
OGRE
Mortarman

Re: SAG 14th Anniversary - and announcement

This is very sad news. I'm going to try but I really do Hate Facebook.
OGRE is offline   Reply With Quote