Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
gunfighter
Rifleman

FOA M3 Haltrack RC Convers

I am in the process of developing the drive chain for Fields of Armor's M3 Halftrack, Challenging but able to find really robust drive axles and transfer case. The wheels are difficult. I have the CAD files, but getting a machine shop to do them has ben tough since the drive and roller wheels are a small quantity.
gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
xacto11
Company Commander

Re: FOA M3 Haltrack RC Convers

Have you thought about using Shapeways? They can 3D print parts in metal. Will probably be a bit pricey but less than custom machine work.
xacto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
tankfan0720
Mortarman

Gunfighter,
Shapeways metal printing would be expensive and heavy (stainless steel). I use their metal printing for some parts of my M5. For your halftrack it would be expensive and way overkill, as the stainless would be too heavy. Its also limited on wall thickness (cannot do too thin of wall). I would recommend 3D printing prototype plastic parts to prove out your design before making metal parts.

I may be able to help you with small quantities of Alum machined parts. I have a CNC mill. Check out my M5 project (M5 from scratch project) in this forum. You can PM if you like.

Either way I'm following with interest....
-Bob
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:12 AM   #4
gunfighter
Rifleman

I have looked at 3D printing but may make several sets of the wheels and a perfect job for a 5 axis mill out of T6061. I have the CAD Files and streamlined the wheel parts to cut down on the parts per wheel. The drive sprocket can be a water jet part.
I jam currently mounting the drive axles and the transfer 1:1 case arrived yesterday. All off the shelf parts so far. Once mounted, I will add the drive shafts and a motor with a 40:1 reduction to the transfer case.

I just cannot upload photos to this site to show the progress and not sure why. It ask for a URL of my image and my images are JPEGS in a folder on my desktop.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
loic
Mortarman

Sam,
I use Flickr to upload for free my pictures.

After I upload my pics to Flickr, I capture the link. I have to edit it a bit to remove all their garbage.

Uploading pics on this forum otherwise if fairly limited by size and the pic is a link, not a photo on the page

My 2 cents
Loic
Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
gunfighter
Rifleman

Drive shafts finally arrived from RC4WD and fit the rear end, transfer case and the front end. Progress. Painfully slow, but now I can at least put power to the axles.

After extensive CAD for the wheels, to CNC machine them is way too expensive. Looking at aluminum wheel supports and use the stock FOA Resin wheels.

This is a heavy unit and would recommend Aluminum for any future kits and they wont go very fast to beat up the under carriage. I am determined to make this work!
Stay tuned.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
The_Dutchman
Platoon Leader

Have you tried www.3dhubs.com for CNC machining?
The_Dutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
gunfighter
Rifleman

Yes, I have sent my CAD files to a number of online services including Shapeways. The weight of the M3 requires that the rims be metal or laser sintered. The cost of CNC locally and online was out of the park at about $350.00 a wheel and the 3D printing was north of that. To maintain the scale look, fixturing and machining these parts is somewhat complicated and time consuming.

My new approach is to reinforce the East Coast Armor scale resin roller and drive wheels with an outer T7075 hub, and a water jet sprocket gear. I think this will handle the weight well and a lot less expensive. Cutting in the notch for the RC4WD drive axles is tricky, but can be done. My FOA M3 is set up for 4 wheel drive through a transfer case and with a geared brushless motor.

I spent a lot of time getting the stp files for the CNC, and even then it would require a 4 axis with several fixtures. Most shops want a large run to make it affordable.

I still have not figured out how to insert photos so I can show my progress. Any advice or guidance is appreciated.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 AM   #9
gunfighter
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankfan0720 View Post
Gunfighter,
Shapeways metal printing would be expensive and heavy (stainless steel). I use their metal printing for some parts of my M5. For your halftrack it would be expensive and way overkill, as the stainless would be too heavy. Its also limited on wall thickness (cannot do too thin of wall). I would recommend 3D printing prototype plastic parts to prove out your design before making metal parts.

I may be able to help you with small quantities of Alum machined parts. I have a CNC mill. Check out my M5 project (M5 from scratch project) in this forum. You can PM if you like.

Either way I'm following with interest....
-Bob
Thank you and I may be late in responding as I have not been able to focus on the M3 due to work stuff.
I can send you my stp files if you want to look at the CNC designs. I think there is a way to minimize the machining a bit by using the ECA resin detailed wheels as inserts for cosmetivcs.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:23 AM   #10
gunfighter
Rifleman

I can send you my CNC Designs in stp format or what ever you want. You would have to post to master Cam or whatever your CNC requires.

I think with some brain stroming we can minimize the amount if intricate machining by sleeving the ECA detailed wheels as inserts and let the sleeves carry the weight. The back side is a Hex cut out to slip on the drive axles. I under stand that can be punched with a step wedge. I have never done that pr4ocess but my machinist buddies says it is possible.

This site is asking for a URL of my image. I don't have them on a site, just in my DropBox. I have PDF's of the CAD designs.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
gunfighter
Rifleman

Due to the complexity and detail in this wheel design, 3D Hubs was very expensive.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
gunfighter
Rifleman

FOA M3 Halftrack:
I finally have the entire drive train working from an RC Receiver. The motor is a 12Volt Geared 348 RPM Robotic motor through a 2:1 Transfer case to drive both axles. Power is a 5 cell 18 Volt Lithium Battery.

Now to solve the drive & roller wheel issues.

See the Utube video of the shafts and every thing running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vto2Mzn26Jc
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1319cRQxo
Old 02-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
tankfan0720
Mortarman

Gunfighter,
The drive train looks great. That should would fine. Good work!
Bob
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #14
gunfighter
Rifleman

Bob,
Having a tough time getting the wheels though. The FOA resin cast rims and poured rubber front tires are way too heavy at 1.5 lbs. The back rims are just out of sight including 3D printing in PETG at $60.00 a wheel half.

I did find HEX Nut Female adapters that can be bolted to the rim and fits the drive axle Hex nut.

YI think the East Coast Armory resin cast wheels will work with a turned aluminum back plate with the hex nut adapter. The big issue is the weight of the M3 being all 18 gauge steel.

I will forge on.