Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Squidley
Company Commander

Dragon Expo on line....

Now I remember why I didn't sign up for this last year. I just got the e-mail telling me what to do to register so that I could buy some of the "on line convention" exclusives.

Before you can even get in to see what the wares there're peddling are, they want you to enter your credit card # into their database.

Needless to say, I shut down the link at that point.

To me, this is really poor marketing on the part of Dragon. I don't like giving any e-tailors my CC# to keep, given the insecurity of the web. I'm from the software industry, so I know a little about how porous things really are. Asking me to give it before I even know what you have to sell me just adds insult to injury.

No thanks for me.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Send a message via MSN to pzrwest Send a message via Yahoo to pzrwest
I too just received an invitation to the expo and like you same thing about personal info and I too just clecked the "X" and closed the site.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Sourdoh
Battalion Commander

Strange. I did exactly the same thing. I really don't trust these guys with my CC info.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
armorpax
Battalion Commander

Me too, I want to see whats for sale and the prices BEFORE I give details that can be used for payments . I also never use links on emails so always close the email and browser then log into the website from a new browser. This may be paranoid but its kept me safe so far. The password I have been given with my email doesn't let me log in via the site so bad luck DX10, no sales here now.

I was interested in the Brit with the Bren (more for the jumper to use on my Priest crew) but will take my chances on getting stuff from the various Etailers.

Dave

armorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
bonlynottcliff
Mortarman

same here... once I saw that, forget it.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Send a message via AIM to Brave Rifles Send a message via Yahoo to Brave Rifles
Back in the "early" days of MFDC / Cyber Robme and my willing participation in those endeavors, I had to TWICE cancel cards that were on record with them. Charges and purchases on them that weren't mine. Obviously couldn't prove they were the culprit or source of the leak, but the coincidence and circumstances of the charges were an obvious 2 + 2 = 4.

What a crock this practice of theirs is!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
mp1stshirt
Company Commander

ditto here.....found it interesting since I ended my membership in mdfc several years ago.

Bob
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Same here. No way am I giving my CC info upfront. Pretty presumptuous on their part.

K.
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Hoffner
Company Commander

Same, not getting mine.

Damnit....I glued my fingers together again.
Hoffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

Give my name and address for registering for an online expo, hmmmm that had me worrying already. And then when i scrolled down and it asked for my credit card details, just for me to register to see what they had for sale. I can assure you all that page got closed down very fast here. Because there is no way, that i want to send my credit card details to god knows where, to be held on some computer somewhere that i know nothing about.

Just be able to view a collection of figures, that at the moment i have no interest in. Plus, i can just imagine trying to explain that to my credit card company, if i find out that it may have been compromised. As i am sure that they would have a few choice words to say to me, about how i have not protected my card properly. And that due to my neglect i am now liable for the bill.

Gary
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

Same Here, Just wanted to get a couple of items but no way.
GB
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
panzersniper
Platoon Leader

Here are the ridiculous prices....Also for the folks who are going to use their credit card...Four Words "Cyber Hobby Fraud Purchases"

-Jason
Prices are as followed

Cavalryman... $99.95
Drummer... $69.95
Fallschrimjager... $79.95
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Ha, glad I am not the only one. Haven't attempted the registration yet, and as I do not visit the MDFC the only thing I was interested in is the PzrII. I was going to check to see if there was any price info on the Pzr II but no info before I give all my personal info? I don't think so

LOL, just went to check the DX registration site and what looks like a very hastily written message informed me it is down temporarily. Maybe they got the message and are fixing it
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #14
NikToo
Sniper

How funny, I did exactly the same thing as everybody else. There's no way I'll just enter my credit card details on some Dragon website. Unless I have Jim Henson's arm up my backside I'm not that stupid.
NikToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
caribmar07
Sniper

I don’t really understand what’s going on here. Aren’t Expos supposed to be places you can visit to look at upcoming items, meet vendors, and socialize? Is there not going to be an expo in the traditional sense this year or next? …if these are “specialty” items that are being sold online, shouldn’t it be considered just another Etailer vice Expo?
CaribMar
caribmar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
DML wants to squeeze every last dime they can out of collectors in this hobby, so now instead of investing in an actual show they do this piss poor online deal. I agree a show should be an actual real event where people can get together etc. I would never attend a DML Expo it too one sided I prefer WOH even though I haven't been able to get out to one at least it's open to all manufactures and brands. Anyone can order stuff on line they don't need an online show for that. Looking at the prices for these figures and the lack of accessories they come with IMHO they are way over priced. I guess they really are going to put the screws to the guys who want the tank! Can't wait to see what the cost on that is going to be considering a Jeep was $300.00. As far as giving out a CC number just to view a price your giving them info they do not need and leaving yourself vulnerable for CC fraud. Anyone who has done this already keep an eye out on you CC account and look for false charges!!! A lot of us had out info stolen in the past it's not fun worrying about what charge is going to pop up next then you have to get your numbers changed and new cards issued. I had to go two weeks with out my card twice! I was stupid I didn't think it would happen a second time.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
Sixth Vanguard

Message now says registration will reopen on Friday the 22nd and to "please stay tune ..."

OK, I am staying tune
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
The_Dutchman
Platoon Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnro6659";p=&quot View Post
DML wants to squeeze every last dime they can out of collectors in this hobby
So how does this make DML any different from other profit-based corporations? We consumers are 'fair game' in the eyes of any comercial predator.
Quote:
As far as giving out a CC number just to view a price your giving them info they do not need and leaving yourself vulnerable for CC fraud. Anyone who has done this already keep an eye out on you CC account and look for false charges!!!
I agree it is unusual and maybe even offputting asking for CC details just to register. I personally had no qualms since they had my CC details from last year's event. And no, I have not been subject to any cyber-fraud since then.
Ofcourse there is a risk in providing your CC details over the internet, as you are never really sure who/what is on the other end. Ultimately we consumers can exercise our right and decide against it.
Quote:
I agree a show should be an actual real event where people can get together etc. I would never attend a DML Expo it too one sided I prefer WOH even though I haven't been able to get out to one at least it's open to all manufactures and brands.
I fully agree real-life events are the preferred way. I visited both Euromilitair shows in Folkestone when DML/CH were present. The Euromilitair shows are similar to regional IPMS shows, DML/CH were just 1 contributer next to a hundred others. It was fun tallking to the veteran Douglas Kay and fellow collectors while waiting in the queue to collect my pre-ordered show exlusives.
Quote:
I guess they really are going to put the screws to the guys who want the tank! Can't wait to see what the cost on that is going to be considering a Jeep was $300.00.
Again this comes down to the predator vs prey game. We all may have to decide how much 'hurt' we are willing take to take in order to get one of those tanks. For some it will be clear the tank will be out of their financial reach, while others may say: 'Oh Ok, I'll have 5 please...' I'll defnitely not be in the last group and hopefully not in the first group either.
Whatever 'cunningly screwed' marketing plan DML may deploy, it's still MY final decision to flex my right index finger while hovering the mouse pointer over the 'Order'-button...
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
Dougmo
Battalion Commander

Add me to the list of "....no prices, no info". What kind of business are they running......
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #20
Sixth Vanguard

Well, registration site is back online and still asking for cc info before giving anything on what is for sale. I went to check the privacy policy but alas there is none or a link to one. CA law states a commercial site must post one if they ask for personal info. There, more fuel for JonhRo's fire

Seriously, the one time I did sign up for a real DX I did give them my CC info after I knew what was available (back in the Motorcycle and Pak40 days ) and had no false cc charges pop up. I beleive DX payment handling is run through DMLUSA which I have never heard a problem with.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #21
chamildav
Battalion Commander

" I beleive DX payment handling is run through DMLUSA which I have never heard a problem with." I believe that is also the case. And Reese and several of the other fellows here have met the Dragon USA staff and I don't think any of us have the impression they aren't careful with peoples personal information. I know Cyber Hobby had a less than stellar reputation when order fullfilment was done in China, but this has nothing to do with that.
You can also simply register opting to pay for your items with a money order. That's what I did, and I'll change my payment info when I do place an order if I use a credit card. I don't think any mischief is intended with the current set up. It's just not as well thought out as it might be.
The thing for me is I can't see myself ordering anything until all the items have been shown. I really like the cavalryman but I'm only going to place one order, so it's a little goofy for me to start doing multiple single item purchases. I'll give them time to get more items posted before I pull the trigger.
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Jim Fowler
Machine Gunner

Guys,

I need to interject something - and, I apologize if this offends any of you or the folks a Dragon.

My problem with giving my CC info is the following. Generally, a lot of web-servers are not owned by the business they represent, they simply rent/lease the functionality and use.

What that means is that potentially, a third and un-none party (the Server ISP and/or their staff) have access to this info. And, just because you change it later, does NOT mean it has been securely eraesed or even eraesed AT ALL.

Information theft at the ISP/ Host service level is a threat. And, it is one that can not be ignored.

I do buy stuff on-line; but that does not mean that I do so lightly. I think asking for CC info up front is VERY poor business design and should be a point to be re-thought for future online EXPOs and events.

Jim
Jim Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote