Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 07-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
JOSH51st
Sniper

The age old 'saving the box' question...

I know it's been discussed a million times, but I can't remember it being done recently.

Do you keep your boxes?

I recently realized that my hobby room was looking quite 'messy' and was running out of room, partially due to the huge number of boxes I have piled up in, both in closet areas and out that are current projects. I decided last night to start a major clean up and had no problem throwing away DiD or SS or random other bits, but had a real hard time getting rid of Dragon boxes... I realize that they no longer hold their value as they once did, especially compared to other companies of late, but I think it's due to the fact that I started collecting with Hans and have always saved the boxes too. Granted I take the figures out, it just felt as the boxes were part of the collection.

What are you opinions. Please, I really need help deciding if I should keep them or not...

Thanks.

-JOSH
JOSH51st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Send a message via AIM to Brave Rifles Send a message via Yahoo to Brave Rifles
Boxes go a bye bye after being opened and the contents pulled out.

Of course, I do still have about 30,( mostly older Dragon, haven't bought any boxed from them in YEARS), that are boxed taking up a corner in the garage, but they are slowly being sold off. I need the space and can't stand the clutter.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Kate B.
Machine Gunner

I take out all the plastic stuff on the inside and flatten the boxes. They're easy to store.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

If it is a DML box with Ron V. art on it, I cut the top flap off and save it. All the rest go in the recycle bin.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
TBowman
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth Vanguard";p=&quot View Post
If it is a DML box with Ron V. art on it, I cut the top flap off and save it. All the rest go in the recycle bin.
Those are the only boxes I save as well. Still intact though and stacked in every possible place in our home. Mostly out of sight.

Funny this thread came up as over the weekend I was looking at all the boxes everywhere and thought.."should I just get rid of all these?"

My wife loves em though
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
pangaloss

I'm from the school that still keeps Ron V covers, but that's all. I've kept some of my favorite Ron V covers off 1/35 scale models too. All together they really don't take much room. If I ever get a chance to build my ultimate work shop I'll pin them all over the walls for inspiration.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

I kept box art of my favorite models as a kid. Must have them around here somewhere. I really loved the box art for some of the old kits like the me262 kits
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Sixty Driver
Battalion Commander

Early on I kept the boxes, but it didn't take long for me to reallize they were just taking up room, and were of no real value to me nor would they ever be. I pitch em now, the only boxes I have are full of stuff. But I do understand the urge to save them, if you have space and it floats your boat go for it. Just keep in mind cardboard is an exciting food source for mold and various vermin.

It seems to me that most folks involved in hobbies (myself included) suffer some degree of compulsive behaviour disorder with verying degrees of packratism. Buying stuff you'll likely never use, and forget you have, and keeping stuff you will likely never use or forget you have. Funny thing is, I see this in the military modeling forums (some guys have more kits in their workshops than most hobby shops) and the the various RC forums I visit. I'm into RC helicopters and only have 2, 12 or more is not unusual at all and I've seen some guys with 20+! I mean, you can only fly 1 at a time and wrapping up $2500 on a helicopter is not unusual, turbines will set you back $5k+ depending on size etc and there are folks that have multiples of these higher end types. I always wondered who was buying some of these things and imagined it was high wage earners. Surprisingly, some of the pics these guys show of their $2k+ helicopters on the kitchen table reveal pretty humble (and often messy/dirty) homes that are not normally associated with high wage earners.

Anyway we are all twisted one way or another so who are we, to judge? If you gotta bask in the glory of 4 color glossy cardboard boxes, I say go for it and enjoy!
Sixty Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
gebirgsjager6thss
Battalion Commander

Location: Farthest Point From the Bright Centre Of The Universe
I keep all the boxes but since i have resently gotten two 250's 3 Kubelwagens and a Panther tank they are soon to be headed for the dump. The ones with Ron V art on the front cover flap I will cut off the flap (maybe frame them?) and the rest goes to the dump. The plastic I keep and use as "glass" for windows.
GJ
gebirgsjager6thss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
Wehrmachtoberst
Rifleman

Boxes in my house are NEVER kept. The only box I will keep is my Drastic Plastic Hitler that I have comin. Other than that, the boxes go once the figure is out and stripped down and put in the parts bin. For the most part, for me buying a boxed figure is something I do not do because I only display the figures not the boxes....Is that the smart thing? Probably not and in another 20 yrs I will probably regret it. But for now, they are history..