Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
hankco1942
Moderator and Unit Rigger

"THE PACIFIC" - press announcement from HBO !!!!!

Now I count this as great news!!!

For Immediate Release

HBO FILMS ANNOUNCES THE PACIFIC,
AN EPIC TEN-HOUR MINISERIES EVENT TELLING THE STORY OF
U.S. MARINES IN THE PACIFIC THEATER OF WORLD WAR II
-----------
TOM HANKS, STEVEN SPIELBERG AND GARY GOETZMAN
SERVE AS EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS

LOS ANGELES, April 25, 2007 – Filming will begin this summer on THE PACIFIC, it was announced today by Colin Callender, president, HBO Films. To be shot in Australia, the epic ten-hour miniseries will be executive produced by Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman, the creative team behind the Emmy®-winning 2001 HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.”
“We’re proud to be reuniting with Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg to complete the story of the American combat experience of World War II,” said Callender. “This epic miniseries is based on the true stories of three marines whose experiences in the Pacific embodied the unique nature of that theater of war, and dramatize how it profoundly differed from the European front. This was a different sort of war fighting a different sort of enemy.”
A companion piece to “Band of Brothers,” THE PACIFIC will be produced by HBO Films in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television. The production will be based at Melbourne Central City Studios in Melbourne, Victoria, with filming to take place in Melbourne, where U.S. troops camped in 1943, and Far North Queensland. The HBO Films production has collaborated with Film Victoria, the Pacific Film & Television Commission, Ausfilm and the New South Wales Film & TV Office. Kary Antholis, senior vice president, HBO Films, is the executive in charge of the project.
THE PACIFIC is based on the books “With the Old Breed,” by Eugene Sledge, which was hailed by historian Paul Fussell as “one of the finest memoirs to emerge from any war,” and “Helmet for My Pillow,” by Robert Leckie (recipient of the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Annual Award), as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers and Hugh Ambrose. Continuing the World War II oral history work begun by his father Stephen E. Ambrose (author of the book “Band of Brothers”), Hugh Ambrose serves as a consultant on the miniseries.
The miniseries tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines – Robert Leckie, John Basilone and Eugene Sledge – across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day.
THE PACIFIC is produced by HBO Films in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television; executive producers, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Gary Goetzman; co-executive producers, Tony To, Graham Yost; supervising producer, Bruce McKenna; co-producers, Robert Schenkkan, George P. Pelecanos, Michelle Ashford; production designer, Anthony Pratt; WWII consultant, Hugh Ambrose; military advisor, Capt. Dale Dye; U.S. casting, Meg Liberman; Australian casting, Christine King. Directors and cast to be announced.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
usmcchet9296
Tanker

Send a message via ICQ to usmcchet9296 Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296
Freakin kewl!
no maybe we might see some Japanese figures made
AIM: imperiousldr69, usmcchet9296
Yahoo: usmcchet92_96
MSN: usmcchet
usmcchet9296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

This is excellent news - the project has been in pre-production limbo for several years, so the announcement that it is underway is most welcome. Ruomur has it that filming has actually already begun in Melbourne.
B Hellqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Emergency Ian
Company Commander

This really is great news! If the all around quality is near what the Band of Brothers was/is, it will be terrific!

- Ian
Old 04-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
pomz99
Company Commander

Great news indeed
pomz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
GERMANSOLDIER MP44
Sniper

Send a message via Yahoo to GERMANSOLDIER MP44
this is fantasic what channel will it be on or is it only for sale
GERMANSOLDIER MP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
hankco1942
Moderator and Unit Rigger

It will be on HBO in a year or so (see, they didn't make it yet) then after another 6 months it will be on DVD and then after a year or so more they will license it to another channel like they did with band of brothers.

So... you've got time...
Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
AUSTEYR
Sniper

Being in Australia I couldn't help but to call the casting company this morning after seeing this announced.
I've never done any acting before and was told to submit some "headshots" and a "Bio". Do you think I knew what they were talking about? Noooooo way.

I'm going to try my luck at this and I'll let you all know how I go.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. Even just being an extra would be cool.

Austeyr.
AUSTEYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
GI Gene
Sniper

Well I'm glad that the poor returns of the two recent Iwo Jima movies didn't bury this project beneath the waves. Japanese figures? Lets hope. Now I have at least a year to makes friends with someone who has HBO.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
75th Ranger
Rifleman

Sounds great!

I can't wait to see it, especially if it is going to be composed of many parts like BOB.

75th Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #11
Leatherneck
Brigade Commander

Well, this is some very cool news!

A series about the Pacific that is of the quality of BoB would be amazing - I'm skeptically optimistic that they'll do it justice.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
USMCWayne
Machine Gunner

With the Old Breed is indeed an exceptional recount of the war, from Sledgehammer's perspective.

Until recently, I hadn't read Leckie's Helmet For My Pillow. Because Leckie was a journalist (sports writer if I recall correctly) before the war, his recount reads a bit differently from Sledge's.

Leckie had some mental issues to deal with, experienced all of the wonder of New Zealand between campaigns, spent (again if I remember correctly) seven separate stretches in the hospital, and his jungle combat contrasts nicely with Sledge's time on Peleliu and Okinawa.

I think Sledge, even though he was not a writer, did a better job of detailing the absolute horror and in-your-face aspect of war in the Pacific, while Leckie's book is a bit more lyrical.

The series, combining the stories of Leckie, Sledge, and Basilone, promises to be very interesting.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
General Specific
Battalion Commander

Location: 5 Hours from the Center of the Universe. Ottawa, Canada

This is great news. Every time a Blockbuster hit of a WWII movie comes out, interrest in our hobby is bound to get some more enthusiasts.
General Specific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
e5sargemac
Sniper

Send a message via MSN to e5sargemac Send a message via Yahoo to e5sargemac
I've been waiting for this.

Think I just wet myself
e5sargemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
USMCWayne
Machine Gunner

Filimg continues on this highly anticipated mini-series.

For Dale Dye's weekly recap of the production...

http://www.warriorsinc.com/cfblog/index.cfm

The only thing that's killing me of late is my local cable provider went to all digital recently, thus eliminating HBO from my expanded basic service.

If I want to see this series, I'm going to have to pay for digital.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
Wehrmachtoberst
Rifleman

Any idea when this will hit HBO? I am gonna order it just for this series so I can tape it...uh...watch it.. LOL!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
Loke666
Battalion Commander

I just hope that they will lets us see them in colour - and not that half-grey, washed out, Spielberg-colours!!

I really like both SPR, BOB amd the 2 Eastwood Iwo Jima flims - but WHY the dull colours!!

During WWII everything had the same colour intensity as today - and people had the same kind of eyes - so why they want to show us these strange half BW colours is beyond me.

Henrik
Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #18
vrieskip
Sniper

henrik the full color life just started in the flower power age before that everything was in b/w at least that is what my grandma told
Great news! only i need to get satelite tv :P or wait some 2 years
btw austeyr did you get a role in the movie (i want to be in it too !!)

Or the bullet bites you...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
him on his way to world domination.
vrieskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
USMCWayne
Machine Gunner

We all have a bit of time before we have to really get concerned about subscribing to HBO.

From HBO..."THE PACIFIC is scheduled to debut on HBO in 2009."

but from a separate source..."They will start shooting in August and will take about a year, so look for the viewing in time for the November sweeps in 2008."
Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #20
flaptop
Company Commander

Really a great news!! I'll be crazy for this.
flaptop is offline   Reply With Quote