Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: how likely are you to buythis figure?
YES! At last I can finish my "Eyes Wide Shut" bash!!! 13 32.50%
Probably - although sculpt is too old for my "Risky Biz" dio! 5 12.50%
On the fence - but he was good in "Magnolia" 8 20.00%
Maybe not - but the sculpt might work for "Tropic Thunder" 5 12.50%
NO! The set doesn't include Oprah's couch! 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
arbomambo
Company Commander

NEW DiD 'Staufenberg'!

Hello all...this is up at DiD's site...
their version of 'Cruise/Staufenverg'....the 'anti-Nazi'!
The Headsculpt is RIDICULOUSLY good if you want a Tom Cruise sculpt...the headsculpts from them just keep getting better and better...
The website says "Table and Chair not included".
Bruce

Old 05-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Sheppard1972
Platoon Leader

I agree the HS is very nice on this figure. Looks to be a nice figure overall to me and I hope that their HS stay at this standard or get better. Keep up the great work DID. Wonder if it comes with the table and chair.......
Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
arbomambo
Company Commander

Table and chair not included, according to their website...
I agree...nice figure...but I'm not a fan of 'Hollywood' figures...this one and the 'just released comic book 'Nazi' will be a pass...
Bruce
Old 05-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

Depending on the price, this might be a buy for me.
B Hellqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
104thboy
Tanker

I think this is a really nice figure and their headsculpts are so lifelike.I wish I had the money right now and or I would buy one.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Krieger
Battalion Commander

They are doing some amazing things with skin texture on their headsculpts, and I will definitely be picking up some loose parts. Too bad about the table and chairs, they look great too.

K.
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

The DiD Is the best version of this figure by far. I thought the DML/CH was horrible and the other release a little better but still not as good as it could have been but this release is a hell of a lot better the HS is amazing DiD really does the best HS out of the top major manufactures they really have set the bar again.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
JoeBiggs
Rifleman

I was just debating about getting the cyber hobby se, then I saw this. DID gets my money on this one. The hs is amazing !
JoeBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
carentan88
Sniper

Keen! I quick uniform change, swap the hands and voila! My cool new parachute officer or senior noncom.
carentan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Loke666
Battalion Commander

IMO this is the best figure released in both 2008 and 2009 - depending on the price I'll eithe r buy 2 or 1 and some loose stuff.

To me the HS is really important in a figure - and DID is certainly leading the way right now.

Henrik
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Yes I would buy this figure IF I could afford to, but it would be a bit pricey for me right now
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
chamildav
Battalion Commander

It's a beautiful sculpt. And honestly, "The Graf Von Cruise" wasn't bad in the movie. I'd rather have Von Stauffenberg's actual visage, but it's still a great looking figure. And it isn't just the head, the uniform and accessories far outstrip the other offerings. The two tunics are a great touch. One minor complaint, the figure should come with a set of gloved hands which it doesn't appear to. Stauffenberg was uncomfortable with his wounds and generally wore gloves over his artificial hand in public. I imagine I can rustle something up. This really is a nicely done staff officer figure in addition to it being an excellent Hollywood figure. DiD is doing some fantastic stuff.
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Loke666
Battalion Commander

Who makes the ridiculours poll??

I like this figure - to me its best offered in 2 years - but to vote I'll buy it I have to vote of several non-related old movies - and not the best Cruise movies even.

Even the I don't like the figure vote - makes one a nazi-supporter.
Either get the poll straight or drop them.

Henrik
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke666";p=&quot View Post
Who makes the ridiculours poll??

I like this figure - to me its best offered in 2 years - but to vote I'll buy it I have to vote of several non-related old movies - and not the best Cruise movies even.

Even the I don't like the figure vote - makes one a nazi-supporter.
Either get the poll straight or drop them.

Henrik
Loke , we value highly member input, care and concern for the health of the board and it's community. Thank you for your thoughts on the polls, but something to consider is this;

The internet sometimes leaves one with inability to get across the nuances of human language and interaction. Inflection and tone of voice, body movements, etc.. This is particularly true when humor is involved, be it dry, sarcastic, tongue in cheek or openly gut wrenching funny. Not everyone has the same sense of humor or can pick up on said sense. Even nationalities can affect the sense of humor, or those who are not native speakers of a particular language.
The polls are created by which ever moderator or admin happen to see the new figure release thread first or has the time at that particular moment. More so, in the last couple months or two, they are done with a touch of humor behind them. This is a hobby, hobbies are meant to be fun.

In this case, with this figure, and the Tom Cruise headsculpt, wellllllllllll. Believe it or not, but he is not the most popular actor amongst many here in the States. I suppose you would need to be a middle aged or older Yank to pick up on the humor behind this poll.
There is nothing Nazi supporting about this particular poll, trust me.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
Lord B
Sniper

I'm not entirely familiar with 1/6 german stuff, but judging from the pics, the peaked cap is probably the best I have seen on a general release figure.

Jordi
Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

According to my pusher, the figure will retail at @ USD 84, and hit the US by mid-July.
B Hellqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #17
gebirgsjager6thss
Battalion Commander

Location: Farthest Point From the Bright Centre Of The Universe
Loved the movie,hate Tom C.
CH got my money,the HS was very close to the REAL Von Staufenburg and I think they did a great job in capturing him.
This is a nice set Did has but it is just a Hollywood actor's likeness.
I may get parts to improve my CH figure but I REALLY want that chair and table!
GJ
gebirgsjager6thss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Loke666
Battalion Commander

Well Braverifles
First let me assure you I'm not either angry, excited or too seriously opposed to the poll in question.
I would say that my sense of humor is pretty developed and when the poll includes Vanilla sky and Schikelgruber - I'm not that stupid that I can't see the humor behind it.

My point is that the poll becomes useless - because it lacks any seroius answers.

So I'll stand by my point - either make us some seroius polls that can give a point to what fellow members think and expect to buy - or drop them.

Humor is great - but one of the finer points about humor is to know when to use it and when not.

On a couple of other boards people with some disturbing lack of sensibility have called Stauffenberg "traitor" and things like that - turning some discussions into somthing much too close to neo-nazi opinions for my taste.

So maybe you have to be a midlleaged European to find that Stauffenberg, KZ-camps, murders on meathooks and the like - to be a bit too sensitive for too much humor...?

Anyway I'm nor seriously offended or excited about this - I'm just trying to explain why I need a better poll and why the particular "schikelgruber" optionion was a bit less funny than the comedian behind it may have thought.

Henrik
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #19
panzerwerk
Division Commander

Henrik the poll is the same answers as all the other polls , just worded different , basically it yes ,maybe,don't care, noway ... just worded in a humorous manner , Lighten up Brother , Its all in fun .

You have been listening to that Viking heavy metal again haven't you
Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

I hear you Loke, and once again, thanks for your input.

Unless other mods have received concerns and not said anything regarding this, let me say you are the only one out of all the membership to complain up to this point. Quite the opposite in fact. So, if it comes to the point where the majority ask us to revert back to the traditional and oh so dry "Will you go out with me" schoolyard style Yes, No, Maybe. answers, then I am sure the polls will revert.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #21
Loke666
Battalion Commander

That was an easy one Steve - I'm allways listening to Viking Heavy Metal........

and you had been watching Vanilla Sky and listening to Helmut Lotti when you made that poll??

and BraveRifles - the answer is no - I will not go out with you!!

Anyway - let get back to Stauffenberg - still looks like the best figure in years.

Henrik
Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
panzerwerk
Division Commander

Quote:
and you had been watching Vanilla Sky and listening to Helmut Lotti when you made that poll??
Actually it was "Brokeback mountain" ,and ABBA !!!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #23
TBowman
Company Commander

Tom Cruise or not, the figure looks awesome!

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #24
Loke666
Battalion Commander

Yeah I know you like Brokebutt Mountain -
You never told us exactly what kind of prop you made for that movie?? LOL

Apart form making a Cruise/Stauffenberg I think the HS is so good that I can use it for a lot of other projects.

Henrik
Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

I am far from a Tom Cruise fan myself and I did not like the movie at all, mainly because of Cruises inability of pulling off a German officer. I thought there were much better actors that should have played the part of Stauffenberg but I love the figure and the HS just because they did an amazing job on it. The last few DiD releases would be mine if I wasn't so short on cash at the time. I am going to try and score the Head if I can't scrape up the dough for the figure.

I would say so far this year DiD has the best figure for 2009 as they did for the last couple years now (2007 and 200. The year is only half over, lets hope they can out do themselves from now until the end of the year but it's going to be very hard they set the bar very high but they keep going over the bar with ever new release setting it higher yet again.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #26
chamildav
Battalion Commander

Tom Cruise was really good in "Tropic Thunder". And he was good in "Magnolia" even though the film is nearly unwatchable.
Yup, that's it. I just thought someone should say something nice about the wee fella.
And I love Abba!
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM   #27
majorarchiegates
Machine Gunner

I thought Valkyrie and |Tom Cruise' portrayl of Stauffenberg were absolutely fantastic! Just as i think this figure from DID is fantastic too!
majorarchiegates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:45 AM   #28
Pangaea95
Site Admin

I agree Dario, killer movie, great fig, and being that I dig Hollywood sculpts, I will have to grab one of these
Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #29
steiner
Sniper

I did`nt think the film was too bad, entertaining if nothing else, and as a figure based on Cruise/Staufenberg(spell check) its a nice figure. One thing puzzles me though,

Brave Rifles wrote :
Quote:
Believe it or not, but he is not the most popular actor amongst many here in the States.
Why is this? OK, so he threw a seven and went a bit mental on a talk show once and belongs to a unusual, ahem, 'religion'. Is this really enough to hate little Tom? OK, hes made a few dodgy films, but none so bad that it makes me want to hate him, ...oh wait a minute, just remembered Days of Thunder, Cruise (now shaking fist) you Goddamn son of a ....

Mark.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #30
majorarchiegates
Machine Gunner

Yeah , i agree! I don't understand why so many peope are critical of him! So he belongs to a dodgy religion, well so do billions of other people around the world! LOL!
majorarchiegates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #31
Sheppard1972
Platoon Leader

One word for me about why I don't care for Tom Cruise. "Overexposure" He is the same actor in the same role over and over and over. The names change but the acting is the same. Now I don't hate him but don't care to see movies with him as the lead actor anymore. I have seen him in the 80's, 90's, now 2000's. An American slang, "I am over it." I do wish that someone else was the lead actor in this movie that this figure is based on. Also sorry to say but for some reason Americans love to build people up and then tear them down but in Mr. Cruise's case he should not have pushed his religion so. How does the saying go, "Avoid talk about politics and religion and you will be OK."
Old 05-31-2009, 02:41 AM   #32
Kate B.
Machine Gunner

Where is his other hand??
Old 05-31-2009, 04:20 AM   #33
justin_g
Mortarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate B.";p=&quot View Post
Where is his other hand??
War wounds - he lost his left eye, right hand and two fingers on the left hand when his vehicle was strafed by a British fighter-bomber in Tunisia.
justin_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #34
Sapper
Sniper

It certainly is a good HS of Tom Cruise, is the body in the scale for Stauffenberg or Tom Cruise ? a new short body would be very welcome. My small Army is all DML apart from 1 DiD, but I am tempted by this figure. I was entertained by the movie, particularly the opening. So I await the final price to decide whether or not Herr Cruise will join
my collection.
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #35
Sourdoh
Battalion Commander

Tom Cruise is one of a very few Hollywood actors that can guarantee financing for a movie just by signing on to it. This movie would never have been made without his participation. Argue if you will, but he is the ony reason a vast majority of the audience saw the film. I am happy the film got made. It is an (arguably) accurate account of the events, the uniforms are correct for the most part, and the acting is first rate from the largely British cast.

As to the DID figure: It is one of the best "celebrity" headsculpts I have seen. My only gripe with it is the Schirmütze. Why can't anyone get the metallic cap cord to look like anything except a piece of Xmas tinsel wrapped around the front of the cap? Also, at the price, I think they could include the table and chair. Why show it in the promo photos if it isn't included?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
Sgt Shultz II

The table and chairs were actually blown up shortly after the pictures were taken! Luckily Von Staufenberg got out just in the nick of time!

So now you know why they aren't part of the set!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #37
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz II";p=&quot View Post
The table and chairs were actually blown up shortly after the pictures were taken! Luckily Von Staufenberg got out just in the nick of time!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #38
TBowman
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz II";p=&quot View Post

That doesn't explain the briefcase though.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #39
Sgt Shultz II

That's the one he kept a change of underwear in!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #40
Loke666
Battalion Commander

While we are at it complaining that the table and chair is nor included - we could also complain that Blondie, AH and the whole garisson isn't included...

Other companies have shown a new figure in a setting too - when DML released the Wittman/Voll set - one picture showed them in turret of a Tiger. No one expected the Tiger in the box or complained (well somebody probably did).

I think the figure looks good - wether you like Cruise or not - the HS is very realistic and the likelyness great.
Also you get a lot of usefull high quality stuff - useable for other projects.

On the other hand if the table and chair was included thus raising the price with 25 USD and the size of the box too - thus raising shipping costs - people would complain about that!

Henrik