Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Near Miss

Near Miss Off Topic, Humor and Subjects not Relevant to 1:6 WWII

Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Help needed with M16 sling

Hi guys. I'm working on a couple of M16 slings, Vietnam era and I have this reference photo, and the info that they adjusted the slings so that the rifle could be carried in the ready position.

Can anyone tell me what's going on on the other side of the rifle butt? Or failing that, how the sling is supposed to go.

Thanks!

Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
sfc
Rifleman

Re: Help needed with M16 sling

they have what they call the jungle carry its a metal clip that gos on the front sight and a web piece that fits the stock that the sling hooks to that lets the rifle be carried across your chest we had to use them in the airports when we did security after 911 you can get away with how you have the sling done on the stock and make up a metal clip for the front sight guard small paper clip should work wish i could remember how big it was but it just cliped on and the sling just sliped through it Tom
sfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
sfc
Rifleman

if you look close at the front sight that clip is there you can just make out the ring piece on the back side you can just form a loop around the stock and it will pass we had a hard time getting the parts to convet our m16s over had to contack a SF outfit for the parts Tom
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
sfc
Rifleman

i can tell you what the thing looks like it has the shape of a triangle that opens up to fit under the brace for the front sight and when closed it has the wide part of the triangle close to fit the sling the stock piece is just a web loop that ties at the top of the stock and the sling clips to it any help with the metal clip closed it fit from the sight brace to just below the front sights ears Tom
Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Hi Tom

Thanks a lot for the help. Yes, I see the the metal ring attached to the front sight, and what looks like perhaps string attached to the actual web sling. The info about the stock end arrangement is invaluable.

I needed this info to do my own sling for a 'Nam era M16. You can see it here
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums...ke-stivic.html
Let me know if I've come reasonably close.

cheers!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
sfc
Rifleman

now watch out they have 2 differant slings 1 had metal ends that would clip onto the sling swevels and used a pinch type sling adjuster the other one would just loop around the swevels they called it a silent sling the other type made a lot of noise and was green in color the other type was black and had no metal on it at all other then slide type sling adjusters and the ends were cut at a 45 deg angle the ring you show should work its about the right size if you make up a triangle about the same size and thinkness and it fits under the front sight brace not on the sight ramp and they wear the paint off the sight and the m16s were painted lol pick one a kind of green gun gray or black early m16s had no bolt assist the m16a1 did the m16 had a 3 prong flash hider and the m16a1 had the bird cage and the butt stock has a trap door in it for the cleaning kit just for info the m16 and the A1 were full auto the A2 is 3 round burst set the selector to burst pull the charging handle 3 times and your ready to rock and roll and they had the heavy barrel thats because the jar heads would bend the barrels when they did bayonet drill Tom
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Thanks Tom. You wouldn't happen to have pictures of any of these, would you?

I have heard of the black nylon sling, but not sure what year that came into use. I'm trying to do the M16a1.

Have I labeled the parts correctly below?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #8
sfc
Rifleman

thats it you got it i dont know when the black sling came into use but you can bet the air force had it first i was in the Navy in the 60s and we used m1 grands and thompsons when we first saw the m16s we thought it was some kind of joke the marines used the m14 the weapon has come a long way since then but it will still jam if you fire about 200 rounds i retired from the Army in 2007 and most outfits now overseas use the m4 which doesnt like the rifle ammo because of the short barrel the round gos nuts on long shots Tom
Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
sfc
Rifleman

oh and what i call the brace is really were the gas comes out of the barrel and gos into the gas tube and a thing i noticed was the magazines when they were worn had a gold color to them Tom
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Leatherneck
Brigade Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
Hi Tom

....I needed this info to do my own sling for a 'Nam era M16. You can see it here
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums...ke-stivic.html
Let me know if I've come reasonably close.

cheers!
It looks fine for a late Vietnam U.S. Army soldier, Val. Jury rigged field slings were common enough that I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Here is what a standard Vietnam Era issue sling that is properly attached looks like:

The sling attachments to which SFC refers look like the picture below. In my experience, a second triangle wire piece hooks through the front sight assembly, and the sling attached to it. This strap goes around the stock, and through the D-ring, and then has the triangle piece clipped on. The other end of the sling attaches to the triangle piece. The rifle's rear sling swivel keeps it from sliding off of the butt stock. I'm not aware of this being used in Vietnam. It was used on the M16A_ w/ M203 from the 1970's to the 1990's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
...Have I labeled the parts correctly below?

Everyone commonly refers to this whole thing as the front sight assembly. What you have called the "sight brace" is simply another part of the front sight assembly. This part, as SFC says, allows the gas tube to connect to the gas port in the barrel. The front sight post is adjustable, and there is the forward sling swivel, which is what makes it an assembly. I'm sure an armorer's technical manual describes the nomenclature of these parts in more detail, but every training aid for an infantryman that I have seen just calls it the front sight assembly.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Thanks a lot for the info and clarification, Leatherneck. I think I've gotten the barrel end of the sling pretty close to the real thing. I've taken apart some suspenders from Hot Toys Taylor to get the parts.

For the butt end, there's a complicated little piece of hardware that no one makes. I've ignored that because my local hobby shop didn't have any thin metal in stock when I was making these, and now I think you can't really see it anyway.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Sixty Driver
Battalion Commander

In the orginal photo, that's a Chinese SKS sling. The loose end is tied to the front sight base with what looks like a boot lace. It's possible the ring on the front site is just a grenade safety pin ring and the boot lace is tied to that. The shape of the D ring on the sling is a dead giveaway as is the leather end on the buttstock.
Sixty Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Driver View Post
In the orginal photo, that's a Chinese SKS sling. The loose end is tied to the front sight base with what looks like a boot lace. It's possible the ring on the front site is just a grenade safety pin ring and the boot lace is tied to that. The shape of the D ring on the sling is a dead giveaway as is the leather end on the buttstock.
Cool! That's great to know, thanks!!

I'd like to model one of those for one of the M16s I haven't yet made a sling for.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Sixty Driver
Battalion Commander

If you google Chinese SKS sling you'll find all the pictures you'll ever need, they are a very inexpensive piece of surplus and can be found brand new for $10 or less.
Sixty Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #15
Krieger
Battalion Commander

Yes, I have Googled it, and looks quite easy to make. Thanks again for the info!