Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
J.VonToel
Rifleman

Marder III Kits

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to publicly express my appreciation to Fusilier & Panzerjuan for creating the Marder III kits. I got mine in the mail about a week ago and they are just awesome !!!!!! The instructions are 1st rate -very clear and concise. The pieces are cut well and this kit will be a joy to put together over the next couple of months.

I can only imagine that putting these kits together for us took a tremendous amount of time, money and energy on their part. They did a world class professional job. Thank you guys !!!!!!!

I will try to post progress pics as I build.....

Jim T.
J.VonToel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #2
Dubar1
Company Commander

Lookin good so far My favorite is the MarderIII, but I favor the H over the M. Regardless, there seems to be a lot of data out there on them so it should be easy to put as much detail as you want on them.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:35 AM   #3
fusilier1944
Company Commander

Looking great so far! One thing I may have forgot to mention was removing the plastic sheeting on the parts. The kits ended up having to go out as PVC instead of styrene and this particular PVC has a protective plastic coating stuck to one side. That's the stuff with the printing/writing on it. It peals off quite easily. Sorry about that...
fusilier1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
J.VonToel
Rifleman

Good afternoon everyone,

Well, this weekend working on my Marder III M project I might have accidentally superglued my wedding ring to my finger, but at least I made some good progress. Below are updated project pics. Is anyone else building this kit right now?

Jim T.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
gary1930
Company Commander

Lookin' good!

Ain't it fun?
gary1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Hoffner
Company Commander

Damn I wish I wouldve gotten one of those......

Brad
Hoffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
Sheppard1972
Platoon Leader

fusilier1944, I hope you guys do another run of these at a later date so guys like myself that couldn't get one this time can have a chance at one. They look great and wish I could have gotten one.
Sheppard1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
Panzerjuan
Rifleman

I still have two of these kits available for anyone who is looking.
panzerjuan
Panzerjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
Sparky
Platoon Leader

Mike, Styrene or PVC??
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Panzerjuan
Rifleman

Hey Sparky, we tried to do Styrene but the cutter went through two bits don't know why. These are celtek which I beleive is a Pvc.
panzerjuan

Celtec Displayboard is a foamed polyvinyl chloride (PVC) sheet whose extraordinary combination of features makes it ideal for signage, exhibits, store displays, POP, Kiosks, screen printing and more.
The surface is a smooth matte finish that makes it ideal to paint or laminate to secondary substrates. Celtec also has good screw and staple retention which makes it ideal for stage prop design, cabinetry and other wood replacement projects.

Sheets are tough, high-strength and lightweight, and can be ordered in a wide range of sizes, thicknesses and colors. Celtec sheets are free of lead, cadmium, barium and zinc. . .and have passed all three UL 1975 requirements.

Celtec is recommended for industrial and commercial signage. It readily accepts virtually any form of graphic overlay (print, paint and photo mounting). Celtec is also easy to cut and shape, making it a strong choice for three-dimensional exhibits, displays and stage sets.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Lightweight Celtec is easy to handle, easy to work with.
Low Flammability Celtec meets UL94 5V, UL 1975 and has a flame spread of 20 according to ASTM E84.
Water resistant Celtec has a closed cell structure and has extremely low water absorption values.
Surface Celtec's smooth matte surface is ideal for graphics, printing and laminating.
Weatherability Celtec is more color-fast than other foam PVC products.
Strength Celtec has an excellent strength to weight ratio as shown in the screw and staple pull test data.
Thermal Conductivity Celtec has excellent insulating characteristics.
Safety Celtec contains no lead, cadmium or zinc.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
Dubar1
Company Commander

I've been using the Celtec pvc on all my past vehicles (MKIV, Marder, old 222) and like it fine. It cuts easily and I use super glue to glue it together. Long pieces tend to bow, but a stiffener bulkhead or panel is all it takes to beef it up. I usually go to the local plastics dealer and buy a LARGE bottle of super glue cause it takes a lot on these big beasts.

It also paints well. I usually sand mine first anyway and that gives the paint a "tooth" to hold onto.

On places like where the road wheel bogies attach I add a 1"x1" aluminum angle (I find at Lowes) to the inside. This strengthens the area plus gives you something to drill thru and bolt against. I use the same super glue to secure the angle to the plastic, but lately I've been using some Devcon Plastic Welder, 2-part, 4-minute, epoxy that seems to be a good choice too.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 AM   #12
J.VonToel
Rifleman

Guys, I would buy another one if my wife would let me. I think the PVC material is just fine. I was a little concerned when I first looked at it, but is turning out just great. Very easy to glue and work with, so far.... putty and paint to follow in the next couple of weeks.

Beside I need to save up enough money for fusilier1944/Panzerjuan's next project.

How about a field kitchen !!!!! (With wheels included)

Jim T.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.VonToel
Beside I need to save up enough money for fusilier1944/Panzerjuan's next project.

How about a field kitchen !!!!! (With wheels included)

Jim T.
Actually they already have the scaled drawings along with the wheels needed that I drew up for them...
It's one of their future projects...
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Panzerjuan
Rifleman

Mike, is right as a matter of fact Carey sent me a foam mock up of one I will take some photos and post them. We have talked of having the wheels cut in wood.
panzerjuan
Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
Sparky
Platoon Leader

Mike and Dubar, Thanks for all the info. I have never used Celtec before but may give it a try just for comparison's sake with the Styrene that I have been using.

Plus, I think I've become addicted to the Ambroid fumes. LOL.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #16
J.VonToel
Rifleman

Hey everyone,

Here are some pictures of this weekend's progress. Putty, sanding (alot of sanding) and primer. I am starting to dislike the overlapping puzzle-piece like panel grooves that is used with this kit. The real Marder III has straight-lines for the armor panels, which I want to retain. Therefore, I had to putty the grooves, sand, putty and re-sand then I had to cut the straight-lines back in. Kind of a pain.... Still love the kit, just hate that part.

Jim T. (Next Weekend Rivets and Wheels)

Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
fusilier1944
Company Commander

Here's a pic of the seem on the Aberdeen Marder :

When dealing with the tabbed construction I just sanded the protrusions to the angle of the piece they projected from ending up with a clean straight line.

Back with the 222 people asked for some type of tabbed construction so I incorporated it into this kit at the time. I feel that it actually provides for a stronger build since the parts interlock. It also makes the build process straight forward. The Jagdpanther will have similar construction techniques BUT in that case it will be because the Germans actually did it that way.

I didn't build the tabbed feature into most of the other vehicles we plan to do for this exact reason. I didn't want to waste time doing extra work to finally get feedback from real customers about what they like. It was a test and if builders don't like it, it won't be incorporated in the future. As it turns out, the people asking for tabs weren't any of the those who bought the kits...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #18
J.VonToel
Rifleman

Hey guys. More progress pictures below. I do have to say that this is the best 1/6 scale model kit that I have ever built. Everything is coming together very nicely. I have a couple more detail items to complete before final paint. I am thinking of just Dark Yellow paint with black soil weathering, no camo. Thoughts anyone........

P.S. Is there anyone else building one right now?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #19
pomz99
Company Commander

Looks pretty good. Imho, paint scheme is a personal preference and also depends on the time period during the war.

pomz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #20
modbob
Rifleman

It looks really nice and hope to see more pictures. May I ask where do you get the track links? I got the kit but still searching for the track links to complete it. Thanks.
modbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
gary1930
Company Commander

That looks just great. Nice progress.
I got my Gepard tracks from panzerwerk. I think that's the only game in town.
gary1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #22
Der Faust
Tanker

I have one. Been working without a day off for about three weeks and have been on overtime with Saturdays for a month and a half before that. Plus it doesn't help being in the process of moving and remodeling at the same time. Have all the after market parts I need to build it, just need the time to do it.
Der Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 AM   #23
Rolling Thunder Tech
Company Commander

Hi Mike

When can I expect my kits?

Leonard
RTT
Rolling Thunder Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #24
Kapernakis
Tanker

J.VonToel do you have your Marder finished yet, if so how about a few pictures.

I have one of the kits and I am also scratch building one. I live close to Aberdeen so I can get the measurements from the real thing. When I get further along I will post some pictures.
Kapernakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
J.VonToel
Rifleman

Kapernakis,

I have been slacking lately in regards to my 1/6 stuff. The Marder is still sitting in primer black at about 90% complete. My hope is to get some time and motivation over the Christmas holiday. I will post pics once she gets out of paint.

Jim T.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
fusilier1944
Company Commander

With the last one of these officially gone (thanks to a refund) and my end of the project finally complete I figured I'd show some pics sent to me by a gentleman named Greg from New Zealand. His was the only kit to go out internationally. He's said the Marder III M is his favorite and is an avid 1/35 scale modeller. His skill and attention to detail are pretty evident in the few pics he sent me. I'm blown away by his use of bolts and screws. His will be a masterpiece when it's done not to mention a good sized investment! Anyway, pictures:

The bar has been raised...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #27
TigerAce
Sniper

Wow Greg has done a really nice job there.

Chris. b
TigerAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 AM   #28
Actionfigureman09
Company Commander

Beautiful piece! where can you find those bolts?
Actionfigureman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #29
Der Faust
Tanker

Lookin good.
I would like to know where to pick up those bolts also! Slowly working on mine.
Der Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 AM   #30
greatplanes27
Rifleman

Check out www.microfasteners.com The ship fast and their prices are reasonable.

All sorts of small screws and bolts. I like using their lag bolts (#0,#1 and #2) for bolt heads.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 AM   #31
modbob
Rifleman

Beautiful work! Are those Panzerwerk's tracks? Still looking for a source for the tracks.
modbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #32
heavygang
Sniper

Great job She is a really sweet ride
Steve