Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Ground Pounders

Ground Pounders Showcase of 1:6 Figure Projects

Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Albert Ross Leather Jacket Colour Change

Hi,

Below are some images of the pleather items from Albert Ross that i have changed the colours of.
The polish i used is shown below.

The jacket below left is the one from the box, with the one on the right after i have applied some shoe polish to it.
The main reason for doing this is to see if i could change the jacket colour, without having to resort to paint.

I did the same to the shoulder holster on the right.

To do this I just followed the instructions on the back of the tin, rub it in and polish off with a clean cotton cloth and when I had done that, I then gave it another wipe over with a clean damp (water only) cloth to bring out the shine. But make sure you wash the polish off your hands before touching any other parts of the model. Plus keep the polish away from the fabric parts of the jacket as it will discolour it.

Gary
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
kirk1168
Rifleman

A comment and some questions, comment first:
I love the holster, great tip. I just got my Albert today (can't open 'til Christmas ) and I'm definitely doing the same!
Questions:
What color is the jacket supposed to be? I always thought that they would be dark brown (because my modern leather flight jacket is), but now that I think of it, I've never seen a WWII-era color photo of a leather flight jacket.
Since I can't open the box ( again), is the patch easy to get off? I don't see any residue or anything so I'm guessing that it is.

Again, great tip!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
prvtnoclass
Company Commander

Nice, I tried the dark brown shoe scuff stuff hoping I would get a much darker brown, but got similar results to yours, although I thinks yours looks better. Nice tip for the holster!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies.

To kirk1168,

The jacket colours do vary, because i was given the link below about the A2 jackets, and from the pictures that come up from the links on that page. There is a wide variety of different shades and styles to them.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2.html

Regarding the patch that was quite easy to remove, and with my one i found it left no residue on the jacket itself.

To prvtnoclass,

The polish i used is a very dark brown colour, almost the same as the Expo jacket. And i was worried about putting it onto the jacket, because if it went wrong the colour differences would be tremendous. So rather than smother the jacket in the polish i only rubbed a small amount onto it and then smoothed and polished it. Mainly because this was a very big experiment for me, as i have never tried anything like this before so i wanted to make sure that if it went wrong i might be able to save the jacket.

I gave the whole jacket a light coating of the polish and i ended up with a slightly lighter version of the picture above, but when i took a photo of it i found that i had missed a few spots around the folds, cuffs, pockets and collar. So i touched them up with the polish and after rubbing with a clean cotton cloth again and then a damp (clean water only) cloth. Did the colour appear as shown in the finished picture above.

I think that this polish although it is a very dark brown, it is not a dye of sorts more that it is a 'tint' for the use of a better word. And it will make a brown colour like the jacket look darker. I have also tried the same polish on the boots from this figure and i am very impressed with the results because the boots now have a better uniform colour and shine.

I hope this helps?

Gary
Old 12-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
kirk1168
Rifleman

Yes, thank you Gary!
I visited the link that you posted (great site, BTW). The jacket is too light as it comes in the box. Your technique darkens it just enough to get it in the range. I may try a different color of polish just to see what the results are. I'll post pics of the aftermath.