Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 904 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

Nice set of Iwo Jima pics

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Tech Manuals
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
Kev Longino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Nice set of Iwo Jima pics Download Post Reply with quote

A set of pics from Iwo circa 1945, be aware there are some graphic dead body shots

http://picasaweb.google.com/7thfighter/IwoJima?authkey=Gv1sRgCIW06db_6oth&feat=email#slideshow/5299164342550398114

Let us do, or die!"
Hammer's Africaners

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

That is an excellent collection of photos, thanks for sharing.......Hammer
Brave Rifles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Yeah, good link! I had seen it awhile ago, and meant to post it, but forgot Embarassed

The aftermath of the final charge by the remaining Japanese forces are really given some reality to the story by seeing the pics.

Leatherneck

Battalion Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Those are amazing pictures! Interesting to see Iwo from the post battle airfield perspective.
Brave Rifles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I was doing some reading on Iwo, when I came across the site posted by Kev. I found out something that I hadn't known before, and that is a good number of the Amphib Truck companies were Army, and on the 21st of March, a whole Regiment of Doggie infantry were landed and attached to 3rd MARDIV I believe it was. They were sent, almost as an after thought it seems, to relieve some of the Marines, and assist in "mopping up"' the island. Although they were only on the island for a few days of the initial operation, they were immediately sent to work and began patrolling and clearing out Jap positions that still needed some cleaning. Their time on the island after it was called secure on the 26th credited them with approx 2000 + enemy KIA and 800 captured.

Amazing how bits of history like this get lost or forgotten about. If even known in large to begin with.

Leatherneck

Battalion Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

The Marine Corps Museum sponsored a series of historical pamphlets for the 50th anniversary of the end of the war. The U.S. Park Service turned these into web sites. The one on Iwo elaborates on the history of the Army units involved, talking about the DUKW companies, AA batteries, and the AAF units shown in the photos in Kev's link.

The Bitter End

Scroll down past the vignette on Zippo tanks.

There's a good vignette on logistics support, too (having been a TACLOG watch officer for amphibious landings, I thought it was pretty interesting):

Iwo Logistics

Brave Rifles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Ahhh, cool links. More nuggets o knowledge. Gracias.

On a side note, you might be interested to know that I am FINALLY going to be adding some Marines to my collection! Can't wait for all the bits n pieces to arrive, so I can start some bashing Exclamation

Germanbilly1

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

What a Great Site. My Uncle Jude was with Marine's on the landings. Thanks for the site.
GB

Leatherneck

Battalion Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Brave Rifles wrote (View Post):
... On a side note, you might be interested to know that I am FINALLY going to be adding some Marines to my collection! Can't wait for all the bits n pieces to arrive, so I can start some bashing Exclamation

Cool! - look forward to seeing them. Exclamation

If you want a good reference site that covers the basic stuff on equipment in a reasonably comprehensive manner, this is a good one: World War II Gyrene

It gives a great overview of the different WWII pack configurations, as well as a nice re-enactment layout of a WWII version of a "Sh#%-on-the-Street" inspection display. Lots of period photos, too.

Brave Rifles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Ahhhh, another good site. Shukran! I have been browsing the web like crazy getting ideas. Will add this site to my list.