Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

LW Field Division Jacket Question

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Kampfgruppe Edelweiss
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
kendalljamie

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: LW Field Division Jacket Question Download Post Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Luftwaffe Field Division splinter jacket was worn by the Hermann Goring Division in Sicily?

Thanks for any replies,
Jamie

RogueJK

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

HG had access to splinter-pattern Luftwaffe field division jackets from 1943 onwards. Since the division fought in Sicily in mid-1943, it's well within the realm of possibilities.

(However, keep in mind that the fighting in Sicily took place during the summer in an arid, tropical region. Since things like 3/4 length jackets didn't provide much ventilation, I'm sure the fighting men wore as little as possible, especially during the day. Still, they most likely at least had access to them.)

But surprisingly enough, prior to widespread issue of the splinter camo items, some members of HG were issued Waffen-SS camo smocks and helmet covers, mostly in Plane Tree pattern. (Autumn side out seems to be predominant in wartime photos of HG wearing these smocks.) This began in mid-1942, so in Sicily, you'd likely see a mixture of both splinter as well as plane tree camo among members of the division.

The combination of two very different camo patterns, along with the frequent "mix and match" use of various continental and tropical uniform items at the same time in Sicily and Italy, surely led to some motley-looking soldiers (but could result in some interesting kitbashes!)
kendalljamie

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

RogueJK wrote (View Post):
HG had access to splinter-pattern Luftwaffe field division jackets from 1943 onwards. Since the division fought in Sicily in mid-1943, it's well within the realm of possibilities.

(However, keep in mind that the fighting in Sicily took place during the summer in an arid, tropical region. Since things like 3/4 length jackets didn't provide much ventilation, I'm sure the fighting men wore as little as possible, especially during the day. Still, they most likely at least had access to them.)

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm looking for is photographic evidence of them being worn in Sicily by members of the division. I knew that the Splinter jackets were issued in early '43 to replace the earlier Waffen-SS smocks, but I know nothing of Sicilian weather.

RogueJK wrote (View Post):
But surprisingly enough, prior to widespread issue of the splinter camo items, some members of HG were issued Waffen-SS camo smocks and helmet covers, mostly in Plane Tree pattern. (Autumn side out seems to be predominant in wartime photos of HG wearing these smocks.) This began in mid-1942, so in Sicily, you'd likely see a mixture of both splinter as well as plane tree camo among members of the division.

The combination of two very different camo patterns, along with the frequent "mix and match" use of various continental and tropical uniform items at the same time in Sicily and Italy, surely led to some motley-looking soldiers (but could result in some interesting kitbashes!)

This diversity in camo and other uniform items is one of the main reasons I chose the HG as my main unit. That and the fact that they fought in the MTO, the Russian front, and early on in the west. Some elements of the division were even in Holland in '44. I also believe that they were one of the most unique German units of the war.

Jamie