Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

PTO Artillery question

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Ground Forces
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
PolishandProud

Rifleman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: PTO Artillery question Download Post Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I have a (dumb) question about arty crews during ww2. If the enemy gets too close, would a gun crew be armed with rifles and pistols, or would there just be infantry guys left in the rear to protect the artillery? My reason for asking is that my great uncle was on a 155 in the Pacific, and he passed away long before I could ask him anything, and I'm just curious. I also do reenacting, and I'm thinking about attempting a first person character impression of him.

Panzercommander HOH

Mortarman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Jacob,

Artillerymen are usually armed with carbines and pistols (as rank dictates) and can serve as infantry if need be (i.e. position being overrun, etc.).

USMC/US Army Artillerymen would generally have M-1 Carbines as standard issue weapons from 1942 on; though early in the war they would have had Springfields. M-1 Garands, Thompsons, and Grease Guns could also be seen I'm sure - but the M-1 Carbine was developed specifically as a weapon for support troops, NCOs, and Officers that gave greater range than the Thompson or the M-1911 pistol (with the .45 ACP round) without the full hassle of carrying the M-1 Garand or a Springfield, etc.

Hope this helps!

Fred
Reef12

Mortarman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Well as not a Gun guy but infantry was always attached to Artillery.
Close to both Artillery and Armor.
Any help?
Especially Armor.
Have to remember that not many Armored personal carriers around then to transport the troops.
But most were pretty close to both branches.
PolishandProud

Rifleman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. My great uncle was a corporal, so a M-1 carbine would make sense. Now if I could just find a 155mm........... Wink
Panzercommander HOH

Mortarman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I think an M-1 carbine would be an excellent choice for a kitbash of your great uncle. Please post photos when you've finished him!

BTW: Hasbro made a US 155 mm gun:

Amazon.com - Hasbro 155 mm artillery gun

I'd check eBay for one if you are serious about it. Also, I think JC had one advertised for sale several months ago - you might PM him to see if he still has one.

Hope this helps!

Fred
PolishandProud

Rifleman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Thanks, Fred. I actually used to have one of those when I was younger. I guess I'll have to check and see if its still kicking around in the attic.