Who is Online

In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 904 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

German Flag, War Flag and Hitler Standard (Big Post)

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> General Quarters
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
toyrific

Company Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: German Flag, War Flag and Hitler Standard (Big Post) Download Post Reply with quote

In 2002 I started a new company called Action Figure Ceremonial’s, my plans were to produce a line of ceremonial items for 6 scale figures which would include a line of flags. The first of these products were produced and put on the market, however in October of 2003, as many of you may know, I was burned out in the California wild fires and lost everything include the stock of these flags I had, along with all my displays and prototypes. Since then I have been asked many times if I would reintroduce this line. It has taken time, but I am now in the process of remaking these flags. They will be available in the next 6 to 8 weeks. As I am sure most of you are aware I do not make products without first researching them as best I can. What follows is information about these flags from research I did prior to 2002.

ADOLF HITLER’S PERSONAL MARKER STANDARD
This is a 1/6th scale standard, 12.5cm x 12.5cm with a 52.5cm flag pole. The standard is made of two printed pieces of cloth sewn back to back with a pocket at the top for the cross pole and loops on the side to fit around pole. The pole is a 1/6th scale copy of a German WW1 lance as was the original. It is made of white painted aluminum tubing, the pole top and base are cast in white metal and silver plated, the center grip is black painted white metal. The pole will come in two pieces as pictured and will require joining at the hand grip. This marker standard was carried by a SNCO of the German Army who would have had a Flag Bearers arm patch on his right upper arm. The arm patch that comes with this standard is printed on cloth and will require cutting out and gluing to uniform.

INFORMATION ON THE HITLER STANDARD

PERSONAL STANDARD FOR ADOLF HITLER AS LEADER AND CHANCELLOR OF THE GERMAN NATION AND LATER AS THE SUPREME COMMANDER OF THE ARMED FORCES

Adolf Hitler became Chancellor of the German Reich on January 30, 1933. On August 2, 1934 on the death of President Paul von Hinderburg, Hitler abolished the title of ‘President’ and instituted the title of ‘Fuhrer’ (Leader) which could only be used when referring to him personally. On August 19, 1934 he became known as Fuhrer (Leader) and Reichskanler (Reich Chancellor) as well as Oberster Belehlshaber der Deutschen Wahrmacht (Supreme Commander of the German Armed Forces).

On February 4, 1938 Hitler abolished the office of War Minister and took the responsibility of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.

STANDARTE DES REICHSPRASIDENTEN AND FUHUERSTANDARTE

General Feldmarschell von Hindenburg as the Reichsprasidenten was afforded a personal standard as a mark of his office. This standard ceased to be used on the death of von Hindenburg and when Hitler became the Furher and Reichdkanzler he instituted a new standard to mark his office. Referred to as the ‘Furherstandarte’ its correct title was ‘ Standarte des Furher und Reichdkanzlers’

When Hitler assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces the correct title for the ‘Furherstandarte’ was altered to ‘Standarte des Furhers und Obersten Befehlshabers der Wehrmacht’. However no changes were made to the actual standard.

The standard was made in a variety of regulation sizes. The smallest was 30cm x 30cm for use on a motor vehicle, other sizes were 60cm x 60cm, 75cm x 75cm, 100cm x 100cm and 200cm x 200cm. Smaller sizes were made of silk with hand worked color silks and gold-wire embroidery, these were one or two sided depending on use. Larger sizes were usually printed in color fast dyes on bunting, these were normally made in the pillow case style with the same design on both sides. See examples in pictures. However for naval use these were printed on a single piece of bunting and the reverse side was a mirror image of the obverse.

The Hitler Personal Marker Standard was 75cm x 75cm, none are known to exist today so our only reference is photographs. From the only black and white photograph I have found of the marker standard ( see picture) it appears to be a printed version. We are producing it as a printed standard in a pillow case style. The flag pole used for the marker standard was a converted German WW1 Cavalry Lance with a cross bar at the top to support the standard in a hanging position. The original lance color was a dark gun metal color, almost black. The convert one for the standard was painted white with the exception of the ferrule and lance blade which were left there original polished metal color and the rubber hand grip which was black. This hand carried marker standard was used only when Hitler was present to inform people and troops he was there.

Pic 1 Hitler’s Personal Standard. Embroidered one sided. Standard correctly hung.
Pic 2 Hitler’s Personal Standard. This is a large size two sided printed Standard flying over a building.
Pic 3 Hitler’s Personal Standard. Two sided printed Marker Standard.
Pic 4 Hitler’s Personal Standard. Embroidered two sided cased Standard above parade. Note: Standard incorrectly hung.
Pic 5 Hitler’s Personal Standard. Embroidered two sided cased car pennant. Note: Standard incorrectly hung.

Adolf Hitler Personal Standard Used In Dioramas
Adolf Hitler’s Personal Marker Standard
Adolf Hitler’s Personal Standard wall and desk mounted. These would be embroidered Standards and will be available soon. Note the use of National Flags as wall banners.

THE NATIONAL WAR FLAG ‘REICHSKRIEGSFLAGGE’ SECOND PATTERN
This is a 1/6th scale flag 28.3 cm x 16.6 cm of a commonly used standard size 170 cm x 100 cm. It is made of a single piece of cloth printed on both sides as was the original. Sewing of the flag is as close to the original that we can achieve in 1/6th scale. Note the white hoist side has looped rope at the top and bottom, this is the correct hanging method for this size German flag, larger flags had a loop at the top and a single rope at the bottom, these were used to attach the flag to the halyard on the flag pole. All German flags had double sewn edges which has been duplicated in these sixth scale versions.
Edge sewn sample.

INFORMATION ON THE NATIONAL WAR FLAG ‘REICHSKRIEGSFLAGGE’

The new National War Flag was introduced on November 7, 1935. Its introduction was timed to coincide with the official commencement of German military conscription. There are two designs of the National War Flag, the first and very rare, has two unbroken rings around the Swastika. The second and more common design has only one unbroken ring around the Swastika, this design was introduced in February 1938 and used throughout WW2.

The flag proportions are 3:5, it came in the following official sizes 50/85 - 80/135 - 100/170 - 150/250 - 200/335 - 300/500 - 400/670 - 450/750. All sizes are in centimeters.

The National War Flag was hoisted and lowered daily in barracks occupied by units of the Wehrmacht. During the course of the war it was put to many uses. As the National War Flag of the Third Reich it was used to cover coffins of German military personnel killed in action, as a podium drape and as the battle flag of navel warships to name a few.
On August 28, 1944 the Fuhrer issued the ‘The Flag Order of 1944’ This decreed that all unit Colors and Standards were to be handed over the museum administration of the appropriate service and the National War Flag (Reichskriegsflagge) was to be used in future. This was most likely done to avoid the capture of Unit Colors and Standards by the allied forces

From then on the National War Flag was used whenever the unit Color or Standard would have been used. New recruits normally sworn in on their unit Colors took their oath on the National War Flag. The National War Flag was flown at parades and formations when the Colors or Standards would normally be carried. It was mounted on a plain flag staff with no finial (pole top).

THE NATIONAL WAR FLAG ‘REICHSKRIEGSFLAGGE’ FIRST PATTERN
OBVERSE AND REVERSE

THE NATIONAL WAR FLAG ‘REICHSKRIEGSFLAGGE’ SECOND PATTERN
OBVERSE AND REVERSE

Pic 1 The new National War Flag (first pattern) raised for the first time on Nov 7, 1935.
Pic 2 Citation reading.
Pic 3 Funerals.
Pic 4 Navel war ships.
Pic 5 Soldiers taking oath.
Pic 6 Fully armed and proceeded by the National War Flag, 20,000 German marine artillery troops surrender to the Americans near Orlens, France September 19, 1944.
Note all war time pictures are of the second pattern flag.

DIORAMA PICTURES
National War Flag carried in place of Unit Colors and used as a podium drape.

THE NATIONAL AND MERCANTILE FLAG (THE SWASTIKA FLAG)
FORMERLY THE HAKENKREUZ FLAG
This is a 1/6th scale flag 28.3 cm x 16.6 cm of a commonly used standard size 170 cm x 100 cm. It is made of a single piece of cloth printed on both sides as was the original. Sewing of the flag is as close to the original that we can achieve in 1/6th scale. Note the white hoist side has looped rope at the top and bottom, this is the correct hanging method for this size German flag, larger flags had a loop at the top and a single rope at the bottom, these were used to attach the flag to the halyard on the flag pole. All German flags had double sewn edges which has been duplicated in these sixth scale versions.

INFORMATION ON THE NATIONAL AND MERCANTILE FLAG (THE SWASTIKA FLAG)

The Hakenkreuz Flag was upgraded to the German National Flag in September 1935, this was done to emphasize the steady unification of Germany under the Third Reich. All public buildings of the Reich States and public statutory corporations were ordered to fly only the Swastika Flag and were only permitted on festive occasions to use the local flags, such as the Berlin Bear, together with the Swastika Flag.

The Swastika Flag also had many uses, it was flown extensively at parades and used as identification markers, (not as shown, see my ID Flags) for ground troops forward position and vehicles.

Pic 1 Infantry division march in triumph through the Brandenburg Gate, decked with the National War Flag and National Flags, during a parade celebrating the victorious campaign in West Berlin 1940.
Pic 2 The National Flag being used as a identification panel by German troops.

For prices and pre-production orders check the post in the Maintenance Battalion Forum.

Hope you found it interesting.

Mike

Hoffner

Tanker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Any chance of making the solid black flag with SS runes on it? That would be cool for my SS unit.

Brad
battlezone

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are recovering and rebuilding. Your extensive research has paid off as your products look outstanding! ! !

Mark.

( the flags w/the SS runes on it would be a nice addition!)
101¹

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Glad to hear your back..
I personally love the Action Figure Ceremonial’s.. Thats what got me started collecting..
Yes very nice work ..
- I still have DIDs Adolf Hitler Boxed; Heinrich Himmler - Josef Wunsche - Willi Bauer and Julius Hanke Opend; so Id be very tempted to buy a dia in the future..

I would love to see an SS HQ flag myself..

Last edited by 101¹ on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
he219u

Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

i would like see these here produced . if you need close ups and backside let me know regards siegi
toyrific

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Hi he210u

Thanks for the offer of the pictures, however I spent over two years researching these flags, Colors and Standards and pretty much have all I need. Lost all my referance books in the fire, but most of what I needed was scaned and save on my computer which was the one thing I managed to rescue before the fire hit. I have a few surprise to come.

Regards
Mike

Germanbilly1

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Will talk to you later as these will go good with what you have seen that I make.
GB