Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

Questions on US overcoats

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Airborne
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
Gallomilanista66

Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Questions on US overcoats Download Post Reply with quote

Hi everybody

Im trying to put together a Bastogne US paratrooper and I hope I can benefit from your help and knowledge of US uniforms.

Ive read somewhere on the internet (at the front militaria, actually) that GIs used to shorten the Melton overcoats (M39 or 42) by cutting the lower part of the coat. Ive seen this done by a character in Band of Brothers Bastogne episode, and I guess they did their research, but I wonder if anyone else has heard of this...Ive never noticed it on period photographs and I wonder if any of you knows about this.

Thanks for your help guys !

Also, while Im at it. Ive read the various threads about overcoats and I gather the Dml roscoe version (sort of dark green) is the best version on the market. But what about the Battlegear toys version ? is it soooo off color-wise or can I use it. (I already have one Roscoe and one BGT, but Im hesitating on which one to use right now)

Thanks again...and a happy new year to everyone.

Dave
104thboy

Tanker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Don't take my word for it but I'm sure they did.A vet friend of mine who was in the 9th Air Corps as a radar operator gave me his over coat and he had shortened it down.So I assume they may have done the same.
CharlesBronson

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I was also thinking about doing this to one of my Roscoe jackets. My Favourite part of bashing Bastogne troopers is the overcoats, but I don't want them to look all the same.
magpie

Rifleman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Overcoats Download Post Reply with quote

You could also dress your figure with a rain coat over the top of the long wool overcoat.See the movie Battleground for reference.
ArtDamage

Rifleman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

From what I've read those that had shortened their coats had done so for a few reasons.

1) Apparently, the long coat was prone to soaking up a lot of moisture from the snow and this made it very heavy after you'd been walking through it, laying in it etc etc...

2) Some also shortened the coat because the coats would sometimes give off the same silhouette as the German Great Coat.

3) Some also chopped their coats in order to use the extra wool to cover boots, hands, anywhere they needed a bit more warmth.

hope that helps Exclamation
pzrwest

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Another reason for shortening the greatcoat to aid in running. Hard to run with a long heavy greatcoat on
Bullottawa

Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

The Us Army also had a "Calvary Coat" which is essentially a melton jacket like a Navy pea coat. In photos it would be indistinguishable from an overcoat with its tails cut off.
CharlesBronson

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I'm gonna try this soon.