Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 904 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

65th Remembrance Batle of the Bulge: Remagne

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Tech Manuals
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
The_Dutchman

Rifleman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: 65th Remembrance Batle of the Bulge: Remagne Download Post Reply with quote

I spent the previous weekend in the Belgium Ardennes, together with my nephew who is also interested in WW2.

During the weekend several events took place in and around Bastogne to commemorate the Battle of the Bulge that took place 65 years ago. With just the two of us (sharing one car), we were obviously not able to cover all the activities, but I'd like to share this event, which took place in a small village about 25 km from Bastogne.

This event depicts a small allied reconnaissance force, which has taken up positions in a small village called Remagne. It consists of several M8 scout cars, an M3 halftrack with quad-gun in the back, trucks, weasels and more vehicles. There was an old house setup as CP, a field hospital and a supply area. And of course a few platoons of GI's.

To give the event a more historical atmosphere, efforts were taken to hide present-day items like telephone booths, modern roadsignals etc. For instance, it was not possible to enter the village by car, one had to park well outside the village and take a free shuttle bus or walk.
I have to say I was impressed with the way this was setup, it must have taken these re-enactor groups a lot of time to set this up.

Here are a few teaser pictures:

A final request: I know you will find inconsistencies as you look at the pictures. Some of the equipment may not be periodically correct or accurate enough, but let's leave it at that and not start nitpicking. Instead let's remind ourselves that because of the sacrifices made 65 year ago, we are able to enjoy freedom.

Below is a link to a webalbum with all the pictures we took of this event. Please note that we used two cameras so the order of the pictures may appear out of sync.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rburcksen/BattleOfTheBulge65thRemembranceRemange#

Enjoy!
Dougmo

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Outstanding photos - nothing beats a real site photo, and so much of that area is unchanged from '44-'45.
k ration

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

great photos. thanks for sharing. and it's the same dirt. that's whats counts. Exclamation
Sheppard1972

Tanker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to share your photos and such. Man, it is great to see that they remember their history. Hope you had a great time with family no less. Thanks again. SHEP
battlezone

Company Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Thanks Dutchman, wish I could've been there, just an outstanding event, and so important the tradition be continued.

M.