Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

Platoon building, and using up stuff I had lying around

Email to a Friend. Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Ground Pounders
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
1stlooey

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Platoon building, and using up stuff I had lying around Download Post Reply with quote

Hi fellow man-dolly addicts.

First, a little background.

I am a Realtor. Economically, things were good a few years ago. Now they suck. I think I was always afraid this would happen. Up until about 2007, I obsessively bought up 1/6 scale stuff, so that I have boxes of stuff that I have never used. A while ago, when Jepy saw the amount of stuff I had, he said to me, "Now I know what happened when I went online to buy stuff, but when I got there, everything was gone. It was Ed!!"

So, yeah, I bought too much stuff. But what I always wanted to do was to build 3 platoons: one German infantry, one Fallschirmjäger, one US GIs.

So, in the absence of clients to buy houses from me, and in the absence of money, I have been going back through my stuff, and rounding out my platoons. I have completed (numerically) my German infantry platoon; the Fallschirmjäger platoon is about 4 short to be complete. I haven't touched the Americans in some time, as they are more work than the Germans to whip into shape.

So, here goes. My German infantry platoon:

It consists of 3 squads of 9 men each: 1 sergeant, 1 corporal, 1 machine gunner, and 6 riflemen. I also have a platoon commander, who is a senior NCO, and a company commander, a lieutenant.

I have equipped them in accordance with a first person account of events of December 16, 1944, in Luxembourg. It was a Fallschirmjäger who was writing:

Quote:
A company of soldiers goose-stepped along the side of the street in the direction of HKL, as it was called. We asked what unit they were from. The answer: Grenadier Regiment 916, thus part of the 352nd VGD. They were very young soldiers in ill-fitting combat fatigues, many of them with warm camouflage clothing. What impressed us most was their low boots. Officers and NCOs in spotless uniform coats and black leather boots. The decorations on their chests proclaimed: front experience! Their weapons were almost exclusively self-loading carbines, plus Panzerfausts. A few MP44 assault rifles and MG42 machine guns were to be seen.

Rather stereotypically, I have equipped the NCOs with MP40s. (The official routine was for machine pistols to be issued to NCOs and rifles to the privates. Of course this wasn't uniformly adhered to, but I had to use some kind of rationale.) The privates all carry G43s and Stg44s, plus Panzerfausts.

The Fallschirmjägers, too, I have equipped in accordance with the same first-person account.

Quote:
The date was December 15, 1944. Starting at 6:00 AM, we marched on foot in the direction of Mettendorf, where the regiment was quartered either privately or in the school. At 8:00 PM an order came to the 1st Battalion: At 10:00 PM, assemble in battle dress with your assault pack; leave your rucksack behind. And combat fatigues? That was our Luftwaffe jacket with the gray-green paratroop trousers and the thin overalls that we called “Knochensack” (bone-bag). No coat?? The temperature was at the freezing point. It can only be a night drill, and that just ten days before Christmas!

This is most of the platoon. I still have 3 or 4 figures to complete. I am using exactly the same numbers and ranks as the infantry platoon above. I'll probably get some flak for this when I post pictures, but I am out of MG42s and will probably equip the 3rd machine gunner with an MG34. As they were in use till the end of the war, I don't think this is a stretch.

Again, NCOs carry MP40s, except for a recalcitrant sergeant in the back who won't give up his KAR98. Privates carry rifles.

As I use up bodies and head sculpts, I have given more attention to bodies from BBI and DiD. I never was satisfied with the way these looked in the past, even after the surgery I have demonstrated here:

Body modifications

I tried this surgery on the BBI bodies, but still felt the bodies were too bulky and muscular. However, the other day I applied my bench grinder to the shoulders and hips, and came up with a much better result, which I now am happy with. I did something similar with the DiD bodies, with similarly good results.

Some pieces of equipment I thought I would never use up. I felt like I had a gazillion Stg44s, G43s, Panzerfausts, gas mask canisters, and the like. I have managed to use every single one of them up. However, I still have some equipment left over, and I suppose I'll eventually sell the stuff here.

Much of what I have been using these last couple of weeks is stuff that had broken in storage or transport, or that otherwise needed modification to look right. So much gluing and sewing has been going on.

I have also done a lot of individual work on each figure which I hope to show off some day. By way of example, I modified some of the gas mask canisters. German soldiers would often apply their names and/or regiment number to their canisters. I have done so here, with the added fun bit of using DML's head sculpt name for the soldier in question:

What I REALLY want to do, together with my brethren of the Minnesota 1/6 Scale Community, is to go out in the country and re-create the scene the Fallschirmjäger describes above, with lots of vehicles to dress the scene up! C'MON YOU GUYS, I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS!!!! Wink

Here's the desk where I'm supposed to be doing Realtor work prospecting for new clients:

Germanbilly1

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Looking Good, the main thing to do is stay busy and wait till things turn around?
GB

drummerboy

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Most excellent display. The bloused trousers on those paratroops are the best I've seen with poses to match. I know what you mean about the ease in equipping Germans vs. Allied soldiers. But they look superb for being so numerous. Most platoon building leaves most only concentrating on quantity not quality. You have both going on here! I myself only have enough figures to do squad building. For variety in photo-shoots I just change their clothes every year or so.
viaad

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Great bunch of figures! Way to make the most with what you got. I recently started clearing out parts I didnt need or wouldnt use and sold them on ebay to be able to afford a few parts I would need to round out my figures. Exclamation
pangaloss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Excellent! I really like seeing this, it makes me feel like I'm not crazy.
I also thinned out a lot of gear I had that I just wasn't using and focused my efforts. I now have 1 platoon of SS (autumn/winter late war)
Most of a platoon of US (late war with a mortar and an mg squad)
And the vehicles I have match the figures.
Now I just have to do something about those 40 odd marines I've acquired .
The squad of Japanese, the half dozen cowboys and the cavalry troopers, oh yeah, and all those modern weapons I keep compulsively buying. Shocked
Anyway, back on topic, they look great andI agree, they deserve to get out side for a massive group shot.

Exclamation
Tim

ActionMan

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Great collection!
Leatherneck

Battalion Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Great job, 1st Looey Exclamation

- good to see you back in action (at least in the 1/6 world, anyway). Keep chargin' hard.

pangaloss wrote (View Post):
Now I just have to do something about those 40 odd marines I've acquired...

Ain't that always the problem with those #@$! Jarheads? Laughing

budro65

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I feel your pain Ed!! I am in the furniture business and own 4 retail stores and a factory and the last 2 years have been a bit of a nightmare but were hangin in there!

Great figures and keep thinkin positive as things will turn around! This hobby provides me with alot of stress relief and thats a goood thing nowadays!!

budro 65
Sourdoh

Tanker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I, too, am in Real Estate. In Arizona we are really hard hit. We are number 3 behind Florida and Nevada in the relative crappiness of our markets right now. I used to buy on a regular basis, but now I have to use my 1:6 hobby money on unimportant things like keeping a roof over my head and eating! I am also going back to my figures and filling my time "bashing" some of the stock figures.
1stlooey

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like seeing this, it makes me feel like I'm not crazy.

Y'know, I saw this a couple of days, but I keep thinking about it. Wow. Now I'm the guy everybody else shows to his wife to prove he's not overdoing it. "Really, honey, look at this guy!!! I'm not nearly as bad as he is."

Exclamation

Quote:
In Arizona we are really hard hit. We are number 3 behind Florida and Nevada in the relative crappiness of our markets right now.

I practiced real estate in Florida for 12 years. I was part of the problem, in a way. Most of that time I worked for a builder. I sold lots of homes to people I knew couldn't afford it. They lined up, 80 or more at a time, to wait for me to pull their names out of a hat to see who would be allowed to buy the 10 lots we had available. But there was nothing I could do, when somebody brought me a deposit and an approval letter from a lender. I actually tried to talk a few people out of it, but it never worked. I wonder how many people curse my name today?

When the bottom fell out, it was my chance to move my family back home to Minnesota. We may be poorer, but we like it here better.