Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

New Forum open for preview

Email to a Friend. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> General Quarters
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
kendalljamie

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Looks Great Exclamation

The wiki feature on the new board is what I'm most excited about. For those of us who don't keep as up-to-date on the world of 1/6 it will prove very useful as to what is offered/has been offered by manufacturers and will probably keep the discussions from being overloaded by multiple postings of the same questions.

Again, great job!

Jamie

pzrwest

Company Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

What is wiki is it like google?
kendalljamie

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

A wiki is like an online encyclopedia. Topics and articles can be created and edited by users. I believe what they are trying to achieve with the wiki on the new board is a database of all things related to 1/6 WWII. For example one of the topics in the wiki on the new board is "MP40". If you navigate to that page, you will find an image of an MP40 and a list of 1/6 manufacturers who have produced them.

Jamie

TigerAce

Rifleman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I think the current board looks a little dated (sorry admins!) the new look is much more modern and clean, great stuff!

Only thing I'm not keen on so far is the wiki having a white B/G, it burns!

TigerAce
Sixth Vanguard

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Jamie has the right idea about the wiki, but really it can be anything we want to make of it. There is no real limit to how in depth an article can be.

For example, the MP40 article lists a few of the examples of the MP40 that have been made. There could also be an article on the DML MP40s alone. The different versions that have been released, the different level of accuracy, etc...

Harold might be interested in writing an article on German medal placement, or proper insignia for a German NCO, or the time-line of how the collar litzen changed during the course of the war. These could then be linked to articles on what litzen or medals have been made available in the 1:6 world.

Sky is the limit.

Of course there should be some thought and etiquette in the writing of an article. I don't think we want to go too far and demand references and sources for every bit of info. And given the nature of it some things will have to be original research, unlike Wikipedia which is a collection of recognized research.

We'll figure it out, what works, what is useless, what is valuable. Exclamation
amaral

Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Hi,
By and large, I find the new layout much harder to parse: it is harder to read and understand.

Aesthetically, it is a very interesting experiment. The black background will work well for most images posted, but with the current text size it is very hard to read. The header random image is a bit distracting, too.

It is unpleasant to sound so critical and I typically avoid voicing my opinion when I dislike something. However as a frequent reader of SAG, I found the points above important.

ZP
The_Dutchman

Rifleman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I like the look of the new forum, particularly the dynamically changing picture in the banner Exclamation

I have to agree thought with Tony: a white font on a black background is uncomfortable to read. I suggest to change the background color to a shade of green, different from the background color in the banner. This kind of keeps a familiar feeling with the present (soon to be old!) forum.
Sixth Vanguard

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Thanks again, and thanks amaral for speaking up and going against your nature. I completely understand and really appreciate the effort.

I have a friend who owns a very successful restaurant and he has always said the best customers are the ones that tell you what they don't like :)

I am working on some alternatives to the white on black and will post to get feedback.

In a multi-million dollar study conducted by what was one of the biggest software companies in the world at the time, Novell, they found that the optimal colors on a computer screen for reading are

Yellow text on a blue background

Of course, that is designed for people reading computer text all day long. Hopefully you guys aren't reading SAG all day Confused

Agaon thanks for the input Exclamation
Sourdoh

Tanker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Everything I tried work just fine. I like the look! I do agree with Tony to a certain extent as high contrast is harder on the eyes for prolonged viewing. But it is better for readability.

By the way, I use Safari (version 5.0.3) on my Mac and everything works great.

Last edited by Sourdoh on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
battlezone

Company Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Thought it looked great. The white on green is a little easier on the eyes, but wouldn't
stop me from viewing the board.

M.