Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

82nd Airborne in Italy

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Airborne
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
Chii

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: 82nd Airborne in Italy Download Post Reply with quote

I have two questions about the way the 82nd wore their helmets in Italy.

1) Did the 82nd wear any helmet netting and/or scrim in Italy? I heard they didn't wear scrim in Normandy, and I'd wonder if they would do so in Italy.

2) Did the 82nd Airborne wear rank insignia on their helmets? If so, did NCOs do so?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Chii,

In answer to number one, no the 82nd almost never used helmet scrim. That was more of a Normandy 101st thing. The 504th PIR did have a very cool helmet camo and insginia(The Anhk(sp?). I'll post some pics of an original helmet I've seen.

In answer to number two, its posible that a ranking officer like a Captain or something MIGHT, but an NCO, probably not.

Jack
D Co.
504th PIR
82nd AB Reenacted
jeepfriend

Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

507PIR after D-Day
Is scrim =helmet cover???

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/381/para82qg.jpg
pzrwest

Company Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

scrim is camo colored cloth strips tided to helmet netting. The men in that pic are useing helmet nets and the other two are useing camo covers mainly used in the Pacific but some were used in Europe as well
jeepfriend

Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

pzrwest
thanks for the info
Kev Longino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I have a couple different versions of that pic and as far as I recall the helmet cam covers were actually made from sections of camo coloured parachute cut to fit , much like the scarves more often seen in D-Day pics
Let us do, or die!"
arbomambo

Company Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Kev's right...those aren't camo helmet covers, but bits of camo parachute material used to camo the helmet...they also used them as scarves...
Marines, and some Army units in the Pacific, used actual ready made camo helmet covers of a different caom pattern that the parachute material...
Bruce