Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 (FG42)

Email to a Friend. Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Airborne
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
caribmar05

Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 (FG42) Download Post Reply with quote

I have a question on the use of this M/G by the german paras. Was this machine gun issued to the hole platoon, just the squad leaders or given to a machine gun section. Was it pretty common?? Thanks..
General German

Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I read somewhere that only about 5,000 were produced and that few were handed out to some chosen units. Also it was very inafective. That's all i could find.
justin_g

Mortarman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I doubt it was considered ineffective. Considering that it was extremely similar in design & function to the Johnson M41 LMG - a weapon which was very well-liked by the elite US units that it was issued to(Marine Raiders & FSSF).

As regards the usage of the FG42 by the FJ - I believe it was issued in place of other rifles - most likely, ending up in the hands of a NCO. Since by 1944 the 11 man FJ squad was issued 2 MG34(or MG42), it wasn't being used as a primary LMG.
Andreas

Mortarman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

justin_g wrote (View Post):
I doubt it was considered ineffective. Considering that it was extremely similar in design & function to the Johnson M41 LMG - a weapon which was very well-liked by the elite US units that it was issued to(Marine Raiders & FSSF).

As regards the usage of the FG42 by the FJ - I believe it was issued in place of other rifles - most likely, ending up in the hands of a NCO. Since by 1944 the 11 man FJ squad was issued 2 MG34(or MG42), it wasn't being used as a primary LMG.

Personnally I'd compare it to the M14 BAR as it's closest cousin - a heavy (nowadays light) assault weapon.
IIRC - but I might be wrong here - a FJ squad late in 1944 had a nominal armament of 2 MP40's, 2 MG's (mostly 42), 2 StG44's, 4 Kar98 and only one FJ42, if any. That makes a very heavy squad I might add with a lot of firepower since especially the FJs had begun adapt a different doctrine from the old "rifles support the MGs" (the US view was btw "MGs support the rifles") - the more lead in the air, the better.
drummerboy

Company Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Unfortunately the FG42 had a high rate of fire and like the BAR could waste it's 20 round box magazine in seconds. Their first debut was the mountain top rescue of Il Duce from Gran Sasso with Otto Skorzeny. The FG42 was issued in two versions simply denoted models I and II. Both models could serve multifarious duties. With a sturdy bipod it could serve as a LMG or covering weapon. A 4x scope could be fitted to give accuracy and could qualify in a sniper role. A rate of fire selector could change to full or semi auto to adapt to these functions. The FG42 fitts in the same category as the M1 Garand, K98, Johson LMG, and BAR. It was recognized by it's extremely loud and frightening noise.
terry_214

Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

The FG42 was never intended to be used as an MG. Its main reason for introduction was as a force multiplier. It was the FIRST automatic rifle to go into any kind of front line use. There were around 2000 of the Mk1 produced and about 5000 of the Mk2.

However because the FJ were on the MLR all the way throught the Normandy campaign, and so many of the weapons fell into the hands of the advancing troops it was thought that there were many more in circulation than were ever really produced.

First rate weapon let down by an overpowered round and a lack of high quality production materials.
derderbste

Rifleman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

hello together,

the fg42 was first delivered by mid of 1943 to selected fj (lW) and fj (waffe-ss)units. most of the ca. 7500 produced weapons where delivered to fj units in italy and france.

they are first used during the commando action at the grand sasso in italy to free Musollini!

the fg42 was not used as an MG!
more details you will find on www.fg42.de (already only in german)

derderbste

Wally

Rifleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

How did the German Paratroops strap down the FG42 on a jump. Did they sling it so that the weapon was somehow fastened with a belt to their back?\

Wally
covert-

Mortarman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I don't think the paras jumped with it ever.

However, if they did, it probably would've been in the drop tube like the other guns for paras, rather than strapped to the trooper.
Kev Longino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

The RZ parachute type severely restricted what equipment fallschirmjager could drop with, as the opening shock was very heavy on the body causing it to almost double up as the canopy opened ( this meant that equipment ,weapons and gear could cause bad injuries ), and the single shroud suspension meant that the user had to have both hands ready for landing to help cushion the impact . Accordingly they originally jumped with no more than pistols and recovered other weapons from drop cannisters , although combat experience showed that they need more firepower on landing and individuals started finding ways of jumping with MP40s and other weapons.
The FG42 was introduced after the main fallschirmjager drops of the war, so the likelihood of it being carried on a drop is less, I have yet to see a photograph of an FJ either preparing for drop or immediately after drop with one - but as ever, that does'nt mean it did'nt happen wink

Let us do, or die!"