Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 151 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

The Devons at Imphal

Email to a Friend. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Ground Pounders
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
Tony Barton

Company Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: The Devons at Imphal Download Post Reply with quote

As part of my campaign to upgrade all my Tommies with scale webbing , I've just finished rebuilding my soldier from the Devonshire Regiment , as he might have appeared in April 1944 during the defence of Imphal .
The Devons were a British battalion in an Indian Infantry division , the 20th , and were involved in very heavy fighting capturing and then defending various hilltops which were part of the Imphal defences : Nippon Hill , Crete Hill , Scraggy and Cyprus became names inscribed in the memories of those that survived .

My figure is based on the BBI " Harry Sinclair " figure , with pretty massive modifications :-

The 1944 pattern jungle uniform that came with the figure has been retailored into Indian made Jungle Green battledress , by adding a waistband from a pair of spare trousers and re-organising the pockets .
He's wearing short puttees rather than anklets .The boots are DML , cut and modified with proper laces .
The webbing is scratchbuilt or rebuilt with the scale buckles from british.buckles@ntlworld.com , but modified in the manner of British troops in Burma at that time : there's no E-tool , the mess-tins are suspended in a spare canteen cradle , he has the 12" Indian made bayonet , and a groundsheet strapped to the back of the braces with a pair of spare webbing straps :-

He's also carrying a machete , of the standard British pattern : I've scratch-built this from a piece of mild steel with a Fimo handle ; many soldiers in Indian divisions carried Kukris instead , but since I'd recently made one of those for my Gurkha I thought I'd give him the more heavy-duty machete :-

He's wearing a bush hat ( though under fire they often wore steel helmets ) of which I'm particularly proud : after many experiments ( thanks to Royoboy ) I've managed to block it from felt in the prototypical way , and fold the (bloody impossible ) pagri convincingly : you can make out the Devon's subdued cap-badge on the front . It was then suitably distressed :-

The interior has a leather sweatband :-

He's armed with the usual SMLE rifle : it's been subtly scratched and rusted : in the constant wet it was extremely difficult to keep weapons working , since they rusted almost in minutes .
The HS is a new one , and the arms are one-offs in Fimo : they are flexible enough to hold things . His appearance and character is typical of a very swarthy-looking type of man common in the South-west of England , where I've spent quite a lot of my life , and have many friends and relatives . Unfortunately I can't get him to do the accent for you !

General Specific

Company Commander

Location: 5 Hours from the Center of the Universe. Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Good heavens he looks like a great figure. Did you say you did the arms yourself! Wow! Very lifelike.

Great work would love to see more.

chung814

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

That's one of the greatest figures I have seen. You really nailed down the SE asia humid hell, since right now is really humid in the place I live.

I would like to know the thin webbing tape, what size and where do you get them. Thank you very much if you can share some info.
Sixth Vanguard

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Wow, really great Tony Exclamation

Everything is remarkable, but that headsculpt and those arsm are truly wonderful. And the hat came out great.
Thanks for sharing Exclamation
Pangaea95

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Outstanding figure Tony, dam near looks real, I must say one of the best I've seen In a while, very impressive. Great subject as well, nice to see something a little different, keeps things fresh and interesting. Very nicely done Exclamation
thetoysurgeon

Cadre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I am admiring your hair details on the arms and chest..what did you use for those?. Your details on the hands and face are fantastic. Good show !
glenning

Company Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Superb as usual! You're truly an inspiration for all of us who collect brits and commonwealth!

Keep up the good work! Exclamation

HDHSVI

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: ! Download Post Reply with quote

Tony,

That is easily one of the finest figures I've seem yet!

Weathering, sculpt choice and painting, and overall presentation!

Smashing good show!

Cya,
Hankster

budro65

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Now that is what I call an amazing 1/6th accomplishment!! Tony, that figure is superb in every way and one of the best I have seen in a long time. Absolutly love the subject!!

budro 65
Unkn0wn

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Tony = King of the 1:6 British Commonwealth Figures.

No doubt!