Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 904 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:21 am

About you...

Search

Advanced Search

The Wicker or should I say Wicked Ammo Case

Email to a Friend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Sixth Army Group Forum Index -> Armor, Mech and Weapons Division
View previous topic : Download Topic : View next topic  
toyrific

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: The Wicker or should I say Wicked Ammo Case Download Post Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I just had to finish this with all the interest in the metal container. here's the deal. The Wicker 3 round 88 mm case will be available first as this will be resin cast and I can make the mold for myself. The metal single round container will take a little time as some parts have to be cast in metal and I have to come up with enough metal parts to fill a mold. Working on it, periscopes for my Tiger 1 hatches.

Before we get to the pictures of the wicker case I want to make use of the picture posted by John Romaro in my other thread, hope you don't mind John. This is a very interesting picture as it explains a lot that many may not have noticed. It has always been talked about "The Wicker Container" for the 88 mm rounds, but I have not seen or heard much of wicker containers for other rounds. In this picture there are many.
A. At least two sizes in diameter and two different lengths in the circular wicker containers.
B. This container holds two rounds and is to short for a 88 mm round.
C. These containers with open tops show multiple sections for what appears to be small caliber rounds.
This picture would lead one to believe that the wicket type ammunition containers where used for many different types of rounds. Anyone else out there have any info on this.

There appears to be more than one type of three round wicker container for the 88 mm rounds. The one I have made has wood separators on both sides of the container. I have a picture of the same size container with four wood corner posts and only two wood separators on the rear and all wicker on the front, it looks like wicker work was also used as a separator between the rounds.

Here are the master parts for my three round wicker container. It will be cast in resin in three parts and come with a leather strap, buckle and fittings to hold the lid in place. The lid and base on the real ones where pressed metal and fitted over the wood posts at top and bottom. I can not archive this feature in resin, so parts are flush fitted. I hope the wood grain will come out in the resin casting which is why I have used wood "Oak" to make the master.

I will make the mold for this sometime next week and post prices and order info shortly.

That's all for now folks.

Mike

johnro6659

Platoon Leader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

WOW! They look awesome!!! Shocked

I got the original pic from a friend ages ago on a disc, no clue where it came from but he was always good at finding stuff I never saw or heard of. It's too bad he dropped off the face of the earth after he got divorced. He was an awesome German W.W.II historian and helped me a bunch.

I wonder if a couple of those round sizes might be the top and bottoms of one container? The wider ones slipping over the thinner ones? I have never seen any pics other than this for wicker ammo containers. The picture was labled "Kartuschkorb" No clue what that means. The only other way I would have know they used wicker was that the DML 88 1/35th model comes with them.

Mike, if I post something it is always welcome for people to use the pics or the info.

Now where can we get a decent 88???? wink

The Fighting Sixth of New England
inxsone

Battalion Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

I'll definately be looking for at least 8 to 10 of those... Thanks Mike... ExclamationExclamationExclamation
Die Werkstatt

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Ammo Case Link.

Look at the "Panier" listings they are the wicker ones. You will see various sorts of them ranging in sevaral different calibers. The round tubes are
supposed to have some sort of small wicker cap like a basket lid.

chavaTX

Machine Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Very cool looking. I wouldn't mind having a few of those. Exclamation
Heeresbergführer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Grüß Gott Artilleriekameraden,

Wicker shell carriers were used for just about every caliber from 7.5cm to 24cm. As much as everyone thinks that the German Army was a modernized army, they still relied more on wood and wicker than metal...not to mention that most ammo was carried in wooden wagons by some of the 6 million horses and mules that the Wehrmacht used. Wicker carriers are much lighter that a metal box.

John...a "Kartuschkorb" is a "Cartridge Basket."

Gebirgsartillerie vor!

www.gebirgsjaeger.4mg.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egonzinc

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Beautiful!I will definitely want to get several of these!
Wicked wicker! Cool
E

www.egonzinc.com
pomz99

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Great looking, now I'll have somewhere to store those 88 rounds.

Very Happy
Dougmo

Company Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:  Download Post Reply with quote

Another outstanding craftsman with his hand in my pocket....but I love it! I'm in-