• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Recent content by Ron Volstad

1. R

Question for Ron re Box Art Field Stove

Sorry for not checking in sooner. You folks seem to be able to answer most of your questions without my input. I had a look at my reasoning in regards to the artwork in question and indeed found a number of photos showing the No.2 Cooker in use in North Africa in 1942. one particular shot has...
  2. R

Never let them tell you........

The half track looks like one of the French types that were up-armored and used by the 21st Panzer Division in Normandy. It matches drawings and photos of a Schutzenpanzerwagen (1. Ausfuhrung) auf Unic P. 107 Kennummer U 304 (F) in one of the Walter Spielberger titles. yes I know, way too...
  3. R

More Fally questions

I have photos of Fallschirmjager wearing the Pionier belt pouches but I've not seen the matching back pack being worn (the latter is a rare entity in period photos in any event). Indeed the Heer combat suspenders were not FJ standard equipment but it would not be impossible for them to acquire...
  4. R

FJ Help Needed.......

Addendum to my comments re: cuff titles. The photo shows the titles worn incorrectly. The AfriKa title should be worn above the Kreta title. The pre-war standard for the Luftwaffe was brown leather equipment (belts, 98K pouches and Y straps etc.) It has been suggested that this was changed to...
  5. R

FJ Help Needed.......

Hi GJ, Sounds like you need some reference material. :) There's lots online but not all can be trusted. You can look at this site for the Luftwaffe rank insignia. http://www.packrat-toyz.com/Reference/luftwaffe.htm For the most part, decorations and awards each had their specific regulations...
  6. R

Michael Wittmann Uniform Question.......

Guys, Everyone has screwed it up in regards to Wittman's Normandy clothing including myself. It was only after the 2002 publication of Michael Beavers 3 volume set by on the Uniforms of the Waffen-SS that it became clear. Unfortunately a great deal of sound information can get rather distorted...
  7. R

Michael Wittmann Uniform Question.......

The combi worn by Wittman in Normandy was in fact the standard Waffen-SS two piece flak crew-man's overalls. These consisted of a shirt and trousers and look very much like one-piece coveralls when the shirt was tucked into the trousers. As for other types of combis, their purposes were...
  8. R

Waffen SS uniform, 17th SS PG division, help...

If you are still looking, I had a browse through a photo history of this unit. Based on the photos contained within I would be left to conclude that in Normandy, the black wool AFV uniform was most common with some wearing the field gray version (recalling that the StuG IV was their standard...
  9. R

About Those Crushers

Guys, I wrote this for the 6th Div some years ago. I believe it is still fairly sound. Eduardo has given you the basics of it. About Those Crushers Having noticed the constant questions about German Crusher Caps, I thought I'd have a go at setting things straight. Perhaps there's a spot on...
  10. R

LAH in Poland 1939 - retouched, removed or covered insignia?

Hi Bjorn, I have this same photo in one book and it is not obviously retouched to my mind. However I have seen a number of photos from this period that are very much obviously retouched. That being said, other photos do support some effort at disguising some SS insignia but it seems fairly...
  11. R

Denison Smock used on D-Day and Arnhem?

"If" one is using the criteria of knitted cuff = first pattern and no knitted cuffs = second pattern then 98% (my wild-arsed estimate) of jump smocks were the first pattern for both Normandy and Market-Garden. My determinations are nothing other than the study of period photos. I've seen only a...
  12. R

canadians at dieppe

While not definitive, I can say the following: 1. Blanco was used by Canadian troops, with the color dictated by the Regiment HQ. Good luck in sorting that out. One color was the same shade as raw webbing so there is an easy out. 2. No gas masks evident in photos and one authority says they...
  13. R

question re: Canadian RMP in Italy

Sorry. Your Canuck MP would not have worn the British redcap. The Canadian Provost Corps would have worn the Field Service Cap and then the khaki Beret after its issue in 1943. Cheers, Ron V
  14. R

Painted e-tools

Dougmo, At first I was going to say that I had only seen e-tools with black painted blades but a little bit of looking indicated that field gray and blue gray colors were also confirmed. However these seem to have been factory applications, not done by units or individuals. Of course, the...
  15. R

Fallschirmjäger Medic Question

I wouldn't add a red cross to the helmet. While there seem to been some artifact helmets with such treatment, these are exceeding rare and totally absnt in period photos. The red cross vest is appropriate but seems to be unique to the western front from D-Day forward. There is indeed a FJ...
Back