• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Search results

1. Tony Barton

Thomas Atkins in Egypt, 1801

58th Regiment in Egypt. Bonaparte’s adventure in The Orient in 1799, invading Egypt , beating the ruling Mamelukes, then getting bogged down trying to maintain his grip on the country, was glamourised at the time by the European press, and by later French painters. The British saw it as a real...
  2. Tony Barton

1794, 40th Foot in Flanders

40th Foot 1794 This figure is part of my attempts to make a typical figure for each decade of the British Army’s history. This loopy idea , a dolly per decade, at least gives me something to focus on, and actually has proved so far to be quite a good stimulus to research. The Revolutionary...
  3. Tony Barton

British soldier in Berlin, 1960s.

British soldier early 1960s. This is just a bit of fun ,outside my normal time period, that fell together from some spares I had collected, after a discussion with a friend about how one could remake the 1960s toy “ Tommy Gunn “( a sort of British based version of GI Joe) as a more upmarket...
  4. Tony Barton

British Officer on the Somme

British Officer on the Somme... When I first started getting serious about 1/6th , building an accurate Great War figure was hard. There were the Sideshow figures , but most of the parts were poorly cast in PVC .The uniforms could be worked on , but other items had to be made , converted ...
  5. Tony Barton

Tommies from the Somme Battles

As my recovery progresses, I’ve now had the energy to get the trench set out and take some more pics. Here’s a few more pics on the same theme. Two more of the Northampton’s bomber, this time showing his “ Battle Patches “ and bomber’s badge , and the grenade vest hung on a convenient peg while...
  6. Tony Barton

Seaforth Highlander 1890

Seaforth Highlanders 1890 In the early 20th century there was a tremendous vogue for collecting coloured cigarette cards, which were often illustrated with colourful subjects such as “ Regiments of the British Army “. Many of the original artworks for these were collected a few years back into...
  7. Tony Barton

1951 : Two British soldiers, Korea and Malaya .

Although my interest normally ends at 1945 , I always had a slight hankering to do a Gloster in Korea . I recently read Max Hastings’ book on the Korean War, and that was enough to get me started. One thing led to another, and making the 1944 equipment for him has also led to a look at the...
  8. Tony Barton

Soldiers at Flodden 1513

SOLDIERS at FLODDEN 1513. Two English soldiers from the great battle . Just a little late for the 500th anniversary , but you know how it is… My apologies to my Scots friends for even mentioning this battle , but you get your Bannockburn anniversary this year. An account is here...
  9. Tony Barton

Grenadier of the 23rd Royal Welch Fuzileers 1743 .

A GRENADIER OF 1743. Something from the most elaborate period of uniforms , just for the challenge… The 23rd Royal Welch Fuzileers were a highly distinguished Foot regiment , with a record of Battle Honours second to none. Their modern inheritor is The Royal Welsh Regiment. They were at...
  10. Tony Barton

The Face of Tommy : the Nijmegen archive .

LIBERATORS ON FILM : NIJMEGEN PHOTO ARCHIVE . My friend Woffenden has this week reminded me of this wonderful online archive. If you want to know what Tommy really looked like in the 21st Army Group in the Nederlands in the winter of 44/45, this is where you go. Liberators on film...
  11. Tony Barton

English bowman 1545

Mary Rose Archer. An English bowman from the wreck of the Mary Rose of 1545 , based on the archaeological finds. The new Museum containing the ship and contents has recently opened at Portsmouth , and I for one hope to visit soon. That's the contemporary painting of the ship from the...
  12. Tony Barton

Making felt hats

As requested , here's the tutorial I did years back for OSS. It's still relevant and I'm still using the technique as described . I have found that the synthetic polyester felt actually works a bit better than the cotton type. For British and Commonwealth bush hats , .more relevant to this...
  13. Tony Barton

Corporal Sparkes 1944

Corporal Sparkes 1944 :~ A signaller from an Infantry Division in N.W.Europe in late summer 1944 , operating the wireless set No. 38 . Like most British collectors, I have had a couple of the BBI “ Roger Cooke “ No.38 wireless sets hanging around for years , without ever having used them ...
  14. Tony Barton

Battle of Britain RAF fighter pilot.

Today is Battle of Britain Day . Here’s my BoB Pilot. This has been quite a long job , trying to find the right things to make it accurate ; I think I started him about three years ago . Uniform : a DML Luftwaffe uniform ( can’t remember his name , bought it as a spare ) with retailored...
  15. Tony Barton

New Things from Tony Barton....

New Things from TB….. First the next set of Heads, Nos. 71-80 . The latest mix, most of them made for my own figures over the last two years. No. 71 is based on Paddy Mayne : whether you think it looks like him is up to you…the famous scruffily bearded desert pic is not much help, so this...
  16. Tony Barton

Corporal, Lancashire Fusiliers, Gallipoli 1915 .

GALLIPOLI :~ The campaign is pretty well known: the attempt in 1915 to knock the Turkish Empire out of the Great War by capturing Istanbul by an amphibious landing . It was a bloody stalemate , the first of a lamentable series of amphibious disasters promoted by Churchill in two wars. The...
  17. Tony Barton

Fake TB HS on Ebay

Yet another Chinese rip-off merchant, I'm afraid, is selling my heads on Ebay , here :~ 1/6th Scale Resin Heads Model Kit Figure 35 | eBay They are absolutely definite copies , since the mould lines are in entirely different places. This is not going to cost me much , but it's the principle...
  18. Tony Barton

British Yeomanry cavalryman , Palestine 1918 .

WW1 British Yeomanry Cavalry in 1/6th . I have been working on this chap for a few months now : a Trumpeter from the Gloucestershire Hussars, Palestine 1918. He's called Stan Carter, he came from Stroud in Gloucestershire, and in later life he taught me to play the trumpet. There...
  19. Tony Barton

Joe Ekins tribute.

The death of Joe Ekins was announced on February 1st. About five years ago , I had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone on several occasions about his WW2 career, and recording his memories of the uniform and kit he wore while crewing a tank with the Northamptonshire...
  20. Tony Barton

New book on Red Army WW2

I hope I'm not duplicating anyone else's post , but i haven't noticed this one being reviewed here yet. The Soviet Soldier of World War Two, by Phillippe Rio, from Histoire et Collections. ISBN978-2-35250-100-8 The latest in the large format books from H&C, covering the major combatants of...
Back