• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

4th Mtn Battalion and RIVA RIDGE

In the official report of the 10th Mountain's famous capture of Riva Ridge in Italy, it states the following....

From prisoner interrogation the following was learned: The 7th Company of the 1044th Regiment of the 232nd Fusiliers held the ridge. This company was to be relieved by two companies of the 4th Mt. Battalion on the 19th of February. A 3rd Company of this Mt. Battalion was in Sestola. This probably was the 75 men that the P-47s strafed on the road to Fanano. The 7th Company lost heavily in the fighting on the 19th-20th February. F Company, 86th Mountain Infantry, had annihilated a column of 30 Krauts with machine guns, so it can be assumed that the 4th Mt. Battalion ceased to exist as a fighting organization. At no time did they expect an attack on the ridge, and it came as a complete surprise as they felt it too rugged an obstacle for a very large unit to take.

Do you have any reference photos of what these troops would be wearing? This was February 1945. Would they have the edelweiss patch etc? I will be travelling to Riva Ridge and Italy in May retracing the 10th Mountain battle route. I'm doing bashes of troops in each major battle location. I will be taking the uniforms to weather in the actual soil of each of these locations. Thought it might be nice to do a Riva Ridge defender while I'm at it.

Glad to see your section here Patrick !

Grüß Gott Ridge Runner Bryan!

Can I go with you? Would be a great trip!

The 4th Mountain Battalion mentioned in the offical US Army report was actually known as Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4 (High Alpine Mountain Troops). This was one of the 4 Independent High Alpine Mountain Battalions that the German Army fielded during WW II. They were established in late 1943 and went into the line in Italy just before the battle of Monte Cassino. They fought all 4 battles of Monte Cassino.

During the February 1945 timeframe, "Hoch 4" was attached to the 232. Infantry Division. "Hoch 4" had 4 Gebirgsjäger Companies, 1 Mountain Artillery Battery, a HQ (5th) Company (Signals, Recon, Engineer platoons), and a HQ staff. In the line against the formidable US 10th Mountain Division, they fought in the areas of Mt. Serrazicca, Cappel Buso, Mt. Belvedere, Pizzo di Campiano, and Fanano.

As to uniforms that "Hoch 4" would have been wearing at the time, pretty much everything that comes with Alfons or Gunther would do the trick. I'm sure you have the Flint Whitlock & Bob Bishop book "Soldiers on Skis: A Pictorial Memoir of the 10th Mountain Division." Take a look at pages 115 (dead GJ in Windbluse & Windhose), 120 (GJ wearing Italian Camo pants carrying wounded on a stretcher), and 121(GJ PoW in Windbluse & Windhose). Standard wool uniform with the Edelweiß sleeve patch, Bergmütze with cap Edelweiß, mountain boots, etc were worn. One special item that "Hoch 4" had was their unit symbol...Der Adlerkopf (an Eagles Head)...this was cut from brass and attached to the Bergmütze (mountain cap) behind the Edelweiß.

If you have any other questions, or need a Heeresbergführer to guide you through the Apennine Mountains, just let me know.

Dort, wo der Adler haust! (Hoch 4 motto)

PS - My reenactment unit portrays 5. Kompanie/Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Thanks for the intel... I've read the book but don't own a copy. I'll grab it again to look. I have an extra gunther so that will work nicely...

The trip is open to all. If you want any details on it let me know and I can get them to you. I have permission to bring 3 people into Mussolini's Villa on Lake Garda when I'm over there... come on !

Back