• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Canadian World War 2 books

Kate B.

Machine Gunner
Hi,
I need a few good WW2 books about Canadians. I like 1st person accounts but others are ok. Please let me know your suggestions . I'm working on a few Canadian figures. Refrence books are good too!! Thanks!
Kate

Allright!!! Another convert to the Canadian cause!!!!

kirk1168";p="126973 said:
"And No Birds Sang" by Farley Mowat.

Excellent suggestion!

The Long Road Home by Fred Cederburg - also about the Italian campaign.

For the historical perspective, anything by Mark Zuehlke:
MTO:
Ortona
The Gothic Line
The Liri Valley

ETO:
Juno Beach
Holding Juno
Terrible Victory: First Canadian Army and the Scheldt Estuary Campaign

Cinderella Army by Terry Copp (northern Europe to end of war)

That oughta get you started. :D

K.

From what perspective is Cinderella Army told from? Or is it refrence? Is there anybody here who owns it who could tell us about it?

Another good book on the Canadians is another book by Farley Mowat called The Regiment. It documents the Hasty-P's from mobilization in 1939 till the end of the war. It's exploits from England into france, then the evacuation at Dunkirk, then back to England, then to Sicily and the invasion of Italy, Back to England and back into Europe with the liberation of Holland. And excellent book, well worth reading
PS... I could be concidered bias being an ex member of the Hasty-P's, and both books by farley Mowat were required reading as a recuit to the regiment

Kate B.";p="127012 said:
From what perspective is Cinderella Army told from? Or is it refrence? Is there anybody here who owns it who could tell us about it?

Hi Kate, I have all the books I listed. Cinderella Army is historical reference, covering the D-Day landings, Battle of the Scheldt, Rhineland, liberation of Holland. Excellent book IMO, especially as regards strategy, and the eternal stupidity of generals.

If you're more interested in first person narratives then And No Birds Sang by Farley Mowatt and The Long Road Home by Fred Cederberg. Both are written by front line soldiers about their experiences in the Italian campaign Farley Mowatt went on to become a very well known author. Sorry I don't know of any first person narratives of the ETO offhand.

K.

Six war years by Barry Broadfoot. First person accounts of Canadian's experiences during WW2. It's a great book. The first time I read it was in high school when I was maybe 15 years old. Since then I've re-read it several times. Because it's real people telling real stories the language is pretty spicey sometimes. But that is real life.

Tim

I can't remember the authors' names but it was a husband and wife team. I think they are named Whittaker. He was an artillery officer throuought the war. They wrote, "The Guns of Normandy", "The Guns of Victory" and "Where are the Guns". An excellent first hand account of wartime service in England and after D-Day until the end of the war

Where The Hell Are The Guns
Guns Of Normandy
Guns of Victory

by George G Blackburn Royal Canadian Artillery, first is early war, schemes and things, 2nd is well Normandy to the Liberation of France. 3rd is Channel ports, Scheldt, Rhineland, Liberation of Holland.

Victory At Falaise
Dieppe: Tragedy To Triumph
Rhineland: The Battle to End The War
Tug Of War: The Allied Victory That Opened Antwerp

by Denis Whitaker and Shelagh Whitaker

The Rhineland 1945

by Ken Ford

Steel My Soldiers' Hearts (Armoured Corps, memoirs)

by Neil J Stewart

Remembering D-Day (Personal Histories)

by Martin W Bowman

There are a series of reference books by Service Publications (www.servicepub.com)

Distinguishing Patches
Tin Lids
Dressed To Kill
Making Tracks
'37 Pattern Web
Without Warning

The Ram Vol 1 & 2
The Sherman in Canadian Service
The Half-track in Canadian Service
The Jeep in Canadian Service
The Land Mattress in Canadian Srevice
The 6 Pounder ..............
The 25 Pounder ..........
The Kangaroo ...........
The Skink ............
The Sexton ...........

Juno Canadians At D-Day June 6, 1944

by Ted Barris

The Canadian Battlefields in Normandy
The Canadian Battlefields in Northwest Europe 1944-45

by Terry Copp and Mike Bechthold

Not in Vain (photo essay)
The Way We Were (photo essay)

by Ken Bell (WW2 photographer)

Back The Attack (Canadian Women in WW2)

by Jean Bruce

The Canadians At War Vol 1 & 2 (reprinted as a single volume)

by Readers Digest

Generally Speaking (Memoirs of Major-General Richard Rohmer)

by Richard Rohmer

The D-Day Dodgers Canadians In Italy 1943-45

by Daniel G Dancocks

True Canadian War Stories

Jane Dewar from Legion Magazine

The Canadians in Italy

by Lt-Col G W L Nicholson,Deputy Director, Historical Section, General Staff

The Victory Campaign Operations NWE 1944-45

By Colonel C P Stacey, Director, Historical Section, General Staff

There that ota keep ya busy for a bit!

JC

Back