• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Corporal Barnabus Collins , A Co., The Border Regiment, 1st Airlanding brigade, Arnhe

Ortona

Marksman
The task of The Border Regiment during Operation Market Garden, alongside The South Staffordshire regiment and the Kings Own Scottish Borders, was to help secure the many landing zones, while the various parachute battalions were to seize the Arnhem bridge. All three regiments arrived by glider in the first wave, and were not expected to do much in the way of fighting. But by day 2, the situation had become so bleak that the other two regiments were sent into town to help the parachutists bash through to the bridge. During the fight at St. Elizabeth's hospital, both air landing regiments were heavily engaged, and the South Staffs were nearly wiped out, sustaining a nearly 80% casualty rate. This left The Border Regiment stretched thin, trying to protect all the landing/ and resupply zones by themselves. The regiment stayed to the west of Oosterbeek during the entire battle, and fought many different German units, including a fanatical battalion of young volunteer Dutch Waffen SS troopers, backed by captured French tanks. Stretched far too thin, The Border Regiment was eventually forced to give up the landing zones, one by one, but put up valiant defenses for so few in number. It was the Border's tenacious defense of the western approaches that allowed the defeated division to retreat, regroup and by Day 9, evacuate across the river.

My inspiration for this figure was a series of color photos of the regiment training in 1942. In them can be seen a skilled corporal wearing a battledress but no smock. While most airborne troopers fought in their Denison smocks, a small number chose not to, especially toward the end of the battle. This is good for it allows me to show off his insignia, otherwise not seen. This project sat on hold for a while due to the lack of available 1/6th scale paratroopers helmets. But DID's Roys helmet, pre netted and scrimmed, works just fine, although it maybe looks a trifle large compared to the BBI and Dragon versions? The web gear is Dragon's painted in Vallejo's middle stone. Here are the real color photos:

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

The backgrounds of all the photos in my photoshoot are actual structures that were in The Border Regiments area of deployment, as they are seen today, alongside a couple actual photos taken during the siege:

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-9 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-8 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-7 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-5 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-8 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-7 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

The end has come:

0-3 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Here's one of the pictures as taken with my I-phone. It is unedited. Note how bright, saturated and yellowish the figure is with respect to his background. This happens, no matter what new "white light" bulb I try. So I filter the picture, not on my phone anymore, but on the Flickr site. I find the "Cool Breeze" filter takes the golden tinge right out, and better matches the figure to the background.

Here are examples using four different filters on the same picture. The differences are subtile, but they make all the differences in the world to me.

Like my Denison Smock background?

I like the "regular-looking" rifleman look. We see too few of those 'bashes (of any nation) in this hobby.

I think you should take these guys outside and set up a dio, Steve...

Fred

I prefer the basic rifleman look too. But at this point, I own approximately one Enfield No. 4, Mark 1, for every two British/Commonwealth riflemen. I have more Sten Mark II's than I could ever use. I had to borrow the above enfield from a Canadian bash. My Florida lawn does not lend itself well to scale European backgrounds. Oh to live in New England again ... :brit_wink:

Last edited:
For some odd reason, Dragon's yellow-haired British mountain trooper, Arthur Barnes, comes with two Enfields, but not much else!

Another good example of the many variants of Brit WW2 airborne - keep them coming Steve. The SAG moderators could be forgiven in thinking the site has been vertically enveloped of late. Cheers for sharing, Steve

Back