• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Crew Flak 36/37 88mm, 3.SS HQ Co. Demyansk 1942

egonzinc

Brigade Commander
Flak 36/37 88mm gun crew
HQ Co, 3.SS Division
Demyansk, September 1942

414223716.jpg

Left to right loader/ammo handler, assistant gunner, HQ Co Officer, gunner, gun commander, ammo handler

This is a commissioned crew for a Flak 36/37 88mm gun which was part of the HQ company of the Division. It will man a FOA 88mm gun.
From September 1941 the 3rd SS Division was involved in desperate fighting in the Demyansk area. They were surrounded for months until they finally broke out in April of 1942. After that they remained in defensive operations in the same area. Between October and November 1942, what was left of them was moved to France to refit. They were there until February/March of 1943, when they were sent back to the Eastern Front, this time to Kharkov.
Used one of my vehicles from the motor pool to pose the six figures.
DML nudes reduced and shortened for height variety.
Unifors and helmets are mostly DML with my usual washes and dry brushing. The officers tunic and insignia are from DID. Boots are from Newline (will somebody pick these up PLEASE!).
Most of the field equipment is from DID. Hands from Soldier Story. Officer’s crusher from DID as is the NCO’s sidecap. Insingia mostly CVI, but I did use DID sleeve eagles. NCO’s overcoat is from Soldier Story and not sure the officers version, but believe it is from DID.
As it is a unit inside the Division’d HQ Company, decided to stick with white waffenfarbe. There were 88mm flak guns in the HQ Company before the organic 3.SS Flak Abt was added to the OOB.
I had not done anything 1/6 in a while, so these were a lot of fun. Just when you hope for some clouds, you only get bright sunlight, but it is what it is.
Happy how the images turned out. Used one of my vehicles, a gray Horsch to pose the figures as I do not have a gray 88mm gun.

414223719.jpg

414223722.jpg

414223725.jpg

414223728.jpg

414223773.jpg

414223771.jpg

414223772.jpg

414223774.jpg

414223775.jpg

414223776.jpg

414223777.jpg

414223779.jpg

414223781.jpg

414223782.jpg

Impressive work as always Eduardo! They will look fantastic next to that Flak 36

Last edited:
Great crew Eduardo and will complement the weapon very nicely when posed... I also like the headsculpts chosen as they look rough and ready to take on the dreaded Jabo (adding character to the weapon platform). Is that Horch a Taowan???. I have one still in its box with no plans yet on how exactly to use it however towing a Flak 38 with crew seated was one of the ideas I thought of which led me to purchase one, it is indeed a nice (and roomy) vehicle offering much potential despite its rather heavy weight. Thanks for sharing, Steve

Hello Steve
Yes it is a Taowan vehicle. This one has replaced seat cushions. I made some from AVES Apoxie to repkace the stock "leather" pieces that pulveruzed over time.
I also have a dark yellow /camo version and posed it as you mention many years ago. Who can forget the Tamiya box art top with a Horch filled with SS troop spulling a Flak 38 ...
It is a very versatile vehicle and as you say, nice and big...

398365531.jpg

400538272.jpg

400131120.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done, Eduardo!

I love the early mid-war look without camouflage!

The Horch (both versions) in your backyard looks amazing! I wish I had the yard!

Well done!

Fred

Great figure. Can you share the headsculpt name from the shortest figure? He looks like Freidhelm Winter

Fantastic, I had to do a double take as at first it looked like an actual photo of the group of men!

Barry

Just saw your additional pics there Eduardo of the Horch pulling the 2cm light gun...simply fantastic work and exactly what I'd like to use my Taowan Horch for (which is sitting next to two Taowan SdKfz 250s that are also future projects - too many projects - too few days in the year, anyway...). Though I have plenty of 2cm Flak guns, the trailers are very hard to come by (here in Australia that is) as, from what I know, Dragon Models Limited are the only company to have released one many years ago.

I bought the three-tone camo Horch as per your example and I do like the additional weathering you've applied...a masterful rendition of vehicle, gun and crew. Cheers for sharing, Steve

Oh, almost forgot, YES, the Tamiya box art for their 1/35th Horch w/2cm and crew is exactly the match that lights my fuse when I think of your great set-up. Whether period photos, coloured illustrations (such as model kit box art), the Osprey series of books (which are always fan favourites) and of course specific volumes referencing uniforms and weapons which though sometimes pricey are a great force-multiplier when it comes to enhancing 1/6th scale figures/vehicles. Cheers, Steve

Back