• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

DML Kubel Rebuild(new pic's) added

Pangaea95

Site Admin
A few years back there was a guy who sold like 20 DML ambulance Kubels on ebay all at the same time with no reserve, shipping was kinda high at $20.00 US, but with so many Kubels, and no reserve, a whole bunch of us wound up scoring them cheap cheap.

I had torn mine apart to use various parts for assorted projects, the main one being my custom TUS Schwimmerwagon, but having recently gotten the DML Schwimmer kit(with all the spare Kubel parts included), I decided to put the Kubel back together, only problem being, I don't need another medic Kubel. Well it seems that DML included all the seat parts in the ambulance Kubel to convert back to the normal seating configuration.

kube0001.jpg

kube0002.jpg

I have all the rest of the parts, gonna keep it dark yellow and paint over the red crosses, then give it some sort of camo. I already have a grey Kubel, a sand DAK Kubel (w/balloon tires), and the dark yellow kubel ambulance, so I want this one to have some sort of camo scheme. Also thinking of giving it a tow hook to tow my infantry cart after seeing a 1/35th model at the hobby shop today, and a couple of 1:1 pictures....yeah very rare indeed, but it does seem to have happened, and would make for something different :mrgreen:

Anyways, just wanted to share the tip on reconfiguring the seats for those that may be considering modifying their ambulance Kubels, it's a fairly easy mod, and all the parts are there :!:

Last edited:
Pangaea95,
Do I understand you correctly in that the DML Schwimmer kit has Kubel parts?
Any idea why?
I like your idea for a camo Kubel,I vote for an ambush camo myself! :)
GJ

The DML Schwimmwagen has part sprues that were made for the Kübelwagen as well as the Schwimmy. There are a lot of small parts and several larger parts as well. I noticed that DML does this to several of it's kits. For example, the 2cm PaK 38 has sprues with resundant parts. You get 4 identical sprues and use 2 of the circular gun cradle parts and the other 2 sprues are not used at all! This gives you a load of small parts and 2 crage rings to spare. It is intersting to note that these aprues that share parts were cast for kits that came out years apart. It makes ou wonder if they cast all the kits at once and then warehouse them and doled them out over a period of years. I do know that they released built=up vehicles/guns in boxes on a totally different schedule as the kits. So that may be the answer.

Hi Sourdoh
Thanks for the info but please clear up something for me. What is a sprue? Iam not a modeler due to money and space and am not up on the lingo.
GJ

I actually don't know what the terminology is for the complete casting lay-up. I use the term "sprue" as it is the common term for the excess plastic that forms in the inlets of the mold to get plastic to the actual parts to be cast. I use the name to denote the entire mold lay-up including the inlet and overflow pieces that hold the parts together when you get the kit in the box.

The Schwimmer kit has a complete sprue from the Kubel kit, of which the Schwimmer uses only one piece from that sprue. It also contains a sprue from the BMW/Zundapp releases that yet again has only one piece that the Schwimmer uses. These kits are basically the production releases in kit form, I imagine the Kubel kit has been around since the first DML Kubel was released, just never made available as DML wanted to sell the finished product, rather than the kits.

I agree. It only makes sense that they have to make "kits" of the parts for the Chinese factory to make up the finished/boxed items. So they have the molds on file any time they want to release them as kits. I'm sure they carefully plan the parts lay-ups for molding to make an overall savings on plasic and mold making and usage. It only looks wasteful when you see it in kit form.

Doing some more work on my conversion, I got this like 4+ years ago, and stripped it for parts, was down to nothing but the hull for the most part, since then I've moved, used some parts, some stuff was broken from the move, etc. Anyways, thanks to the spare parts from the Schwimmer kit, and some styrene scraps, I pretty much have it fully restored and modified for a regular Kubel, got the base coat of dark yellow on, and.... the tow hitch :-P

I also put a base coat of dark yellow on a DiD infantry cart, and plan on giving the two a matching camo job eventually when I get an airbrush. A very rare beast, it was actually given a production number, but never went into production, only a couple of prototypes were made. I have a picture of one in one of my books, but no real good reference pic's of the tow hitch.... so I winged it :-P

Here's a couple of pic's of what I've gotten done so far.

normal_kube0001%7E0.jpg

normal_kube0002%7E0.jpg

normal_kube0003.jpg

normal_kube0004.jpg

normal_kube0005.jpg

Looks good Randy! I didn't realize I never replied to the post. Truthfully I don't remember seeing it but I think we did discuss it over the phone because every thing looks like I know of the project. I hope you plan on giving it a good weathering job after you finish the camo paint.

Not all the schwimmer kits come with the extra Kubel seats. My friend bought the kit and did not have the seats. It must be hit or miss with the extra parts. Anyone else get or didn't get the extra seats??? And if you did, would you be willing to sell them?????

My Schwim kit didn't come with any Kubel seats, the extra seat to change the medic Kubel seating to normal seating came with the Kubel, it was just glued way in the back in the storage comparment. The extra spues that came with my Schwim kit come with all the kits as they are shown on the instructions. Strange the way they included the complete spues when the Schwim kit only uses one piece from each.

Thanks for checking out my Kubel project guys :!:

Re: DML Medic Kubel Rebuild(new pic's)

It's been quite some time since I've posted any updates on this project, since last posting I have fully restored all parts to Kubel, but as a regular Kubel. I've added the Armorpax MG34 mount, detailed the rims as well as repainted vehicle....getting ready to cut up and convert to radio Kubel now so thought I'd share some updated pic's before I start

172133220.jpg

172133223.3Rk94Rat.jpg

172133224.eULRHtBz.jpg

172133380.xIv5vP3W.jpg

172133222.1NJIzrw5.jpg

172133381.ow0rrjad.jpg

172133379.vS0dWKTl.jpg

Last edited:
Back