• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

ENTRY # 6 - viaad

Sixth Vanguard

Board Flunky, aka Site Admin
End of April/early May 1945 in the vicinity of Prague.

2d SS Panzer Division “Das Reich” combats the Czech insurrection to permit the evacuation of German civilians and retreating German forces from Prague.

SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Hans Hauser, Battalion Commander, I Battalion, Der Fuhrer regiment, having joined Das Reich in mid April gives verbal orders to his company commanders before moving out. The Battalion will fan out covering several vital roads to provide overwatch and security against roving bands of Czech partisans.

In less than a week Hauser will be awarded the Knights Cross for his actions earlier in April.

Less than four weeks ago Sturmbanfuhrer Hauser was leading Kampfgruppe Hauser. Formed by a Fuhrer-order that decreed all available troops were to be gathered into Kampfgruppen for defense of the Reich. SS-General Felix Steiner commandeered Hauser while he was in Vienna in route to assume a command in the 13thh SS Mountain Division. Ordered the to form a battle group and to be prepared for immediate action, Hauser was able to form a battle group that was fortunate to consist of mostly highly experienced combat soldiers and NCO’s, many of whom had been highly decorated.

Kampfgruppe Hauser moved out, occupied the town of Munchedorf and held it for four days armed with only light weapons against overwhelming Soviet forces infantry and tank forces. Kampfgruppe Hauser had allowed 2d SS Division Das Reich enough time to establish its defenses by covering a gap between two of the division’s regiments.

Reporting to regimental commander, Der Fuhrer regiment, SS-Obersturmbanfuhrer Otto Weidinger, Hauser was given command of I battalion in the same regiment and later participates in the vicious fighting surrounding Florisdorfer Bridge in Vienna.

SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Hans Hauser is awarded the Knights Cross on 6 May 1945.

Much of the above mentioned information is taken from Infantry Aces of the Reich by Gordon Williamson.

[hr:ec31d5c288]
The figure consists mostly of DML parts and is made up of the following:

Figure DML Edmund, w/ tunic, boots and spring oak leaf trousers
DML metal helmet, map case and mp40 magazine pouch
DML Mp40
DML raincoat from Gen Mantueffuel figure
DML gloves from Piper figure
BBi Otto belt
DID binos
Nomad collar insignia
Shoulder insignia from fellow in Europe who sold them on Ebay, I forgot his name.

The jacket was taped down heavily with fabric tape to give a more realistic look and appear weighted down vice the bloated pleather look. The equipment was also taped in places to appear to pulling down due to the weight of the equipment and items being carried. I tried to weather the pieces with dry brushing to give a wron look to the equipment.

Ph1.JPG

Ph2.JPG

Ph3.JPG

Ph4.JPG

Ph5.JPG

Ph6.JPG