• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

ENTRY # 8 - thetoysurgeon

Sixth Vanguard

Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

normal_1%7E0.jpg

Final U.S. Shot In Europe War Claimed for G.I.

________

Private Fired Round at Sniper in Czech Woods the Night of May 7th
________

Special to the NY Herald Tribune

CAMP SHANKS, N.Y., June 29. – Private First class Dominic Mozetta, nineteen, didn’t know it at the time, but he was putting an explosive period at the end of a great chapter in history when he banged away with his rifle at a hidden sniper in the woods near Klenovice, Czechoslovakia, on the night of May 7.

The final blind round from Private Mozetta’s rifle was the last official American shot fired in the European war. In the opinion of his outfit, the 387th Infantry Regiment of the 97th Division, which has gone extensively into the matter and challenges any outfit to prove otherwise.

The claim was made here today and has been filed in Washington for official recognition by Major H.W. Thompson, of San Bernardino, Calif, the regiment’s Intelligence and Education Officer. The regiment’s l43 officers and 2,829 enlisted men arrived here after debarking from the transport Marine Raven at Piermont on the Hudson River.

The official order to cease firing became effective at one minute after midnight of May 7th. The 387th has made the farthest eastern advance in Czechoslovakia and, according to Major Thompson, was the only outfit still fighting at the time.

About 9:30 p.m., word came back from a forward position that Technical Sergeant Steve Lumbert has been wounded, and a patrol was requested to bring him back and wipe out a sniper. The patrol went forward under command of Lieutenant Ernest G. Zeek of Bend, Oregon, the patrol leader.

Pfc. Mozzetta, who , not so long before, has been a high school student in Providence, R.I., went along as a squad leader. It happened that his squad advanced the farthest while Sergeant Lumbert was being evacuated to the rear, and the general location of the sniper was pointed out to Pfc. Mozzetta. He aimed in that direction and fired.

“I don’t know whether I hit him,” the young soldier said today, “but the sniping stopped. I withdrew with my squad and didn’t think anything more about it at the time.”

2%7E0.jpg

3%7E1.jpg

4%7E1.jpg

5%7E1.jpg

6%7E1.jpg

7%7E1.jpg

8%7E1.jpg

Here is my rendition of that last night night shot Pfc. Mozzetta made. I used some strobe fireworks when I took the pics later on in the evening.

9%7E1.jpg

Figure is “Roger” from Reload Action

Extensive work was done on his hands,i.e., fingers were separated, fingernails painted, new paint and flocking was added to the backsides of the hands. Eyes were glossed with clear acrylic.

Uniform is Dragon and is lightly weathered.

M43 field jacket is BBIs and is also weathered.

All the pockets are stuffed with cotton and lead foil.

Pfc. Stripes are from Pangea95. I made the 97th ID patch. Boots are DID buckle boots repainted and weathered. Bayonet in the right boot is DID with the hanger removed and the sheath repainted OD.

Cartridge belt is DID with dragon first aid pouch, canteen and M43 shovel. All had CVI lift dot fasteners added where the buttons once were. GP bag is dragon and has been slightly altered and stuffed with lead foil. The strap ends are lead foil. All the lift dots (DID and CVI), strap ends and belt buckle were repainted “gun metal”. Added chain to the canteen cap.

Helmet is DID with 1stlooey’s helmet mod. I added “MO” to the rear side. Helmet was repainted and weathered.

M1 Garand is Dragon and has been repainted. Peep sight has been drilled out and a battle gear web sling was added.

Dennis,
Very nice job on this figure.
I really liked the pose of this figure.
I' don;t like b/w images but the pose on this figure really made it stand out and the post made interesting reading too.
Knowing how hard it is to get a natural shooting pose on a figure, your figure gets top score on that hard to get pose. It looks perfect.
One of my favorites for sure!
Congratulations! :!:
E

I rated this one high, too, and it was nice to see that there were Yanks in Central Europe by the end of the war, and not just Germans and Soviets.

Great work, Dennis, and I love the setting and pics. The details - strap ends, LTD'S - add a lot.

Thanks guys,

Figures are not my specialty, especially US figs. I am learning I guess. Thanks for a the accolades ! I will be doing a follow up on Dominic Mozzetta and expanding on the research info that was afforded to me and my source, so stay tuned.

thanks again

Dennis

Back