• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

General US Airborne mortar team question

I was wondering if the Mortar teams in the Airborne would have carried their disassembled mortars on or in packboards or by hand? I know it may be a lame question just curious as I dont want to give them one if they dont really need it persay.
Thanks
Snake

From Mark Bando's Trigger Time web site:

60mm mortar: Rounds per weapon: 80, each mortar jumped on 3 men. 14 riflemen jump with 1 round each. 3 mortar squad members jump with 4 each in M6 bag; 54 dropped in bundles and carried in cart (4 carts per company).

81mm mortar: Rounds per weapon: 54, dropped in bundle;carried by 3 men. 30 rounds in cart, plus 6 rounds on each of 4 men, or 5 rounds on 4 men and 4 rounds on 1. (cart and all rounds dropped in bundle). 80% H.E. light, 20% White Phosphorus.

However, I imagine the carts were not highly mobile for some terrain and the baseplate and tube were carried by hand, even perhaps with some improvisation. I was not able to find a WWII reference denoting a packboard being used by airborne troops, but I would not doubt it happened.

Never saw a infantry mortar team using a cart to carry their mortars. The smallest guy in the squad got the base plate, the next guy got the tube, and everyone else humped ammo. Also the basic load for most abn units should of had all troopers carrying a couple of 60mm mortar rounds.

Back