• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Making a cheap French type cabinet

gatuko

Marksman
4 weeks ago, before starting the Enigma project, I was build a French type cabinet for my communications diorama... The diorama is based on a occupied French house by the Germans, there have set up their central ...

A few months ago was released a 3 modules cabinet of varnished wood ... The truth is that I had in my ebay list a lot of time ... but never buy it because it was very expensive ... I remember that it was about 80 € with Shipping ...

When I decided to make this diorama ... (that as you will see this only in testing phase, and positioning testing equipment to see distributions )... I decided to become a cabinet, and I would come out more cheaper ...

I have not much time due my projects ... I took a tour to the Chinese bazaar,
( i dont know if there are this kinkd of bazaars in other countries... here in spain they are flooding us) and there, I find 3 drawers that are pretty rough ... and wooden boxes with glass .... I used the structures to save time ...

I spent a total of about 11 € ... and the finish cabinet I will be out for about 15 € or something ... very different from the 80€ that cost me another ...

I regret not having photos from purchased cabinets and the first steps ... but it is very simple ...

Cut down drawer accommodation to suit the height and paste between them, also cutting timber in order to center the trim.

The library is the box as it was ... and just added a 2-mm pieces of wood above the drawers to give some edge to the upper area of ​​the cabinet.

A few photos ...

DSC_2848.jpg

Of course these "chinatown" type front drawers disappeared ... takeoff fronts and on my machine I did a front with a small mold to give more frech air ... you if you do, you can leave it plain ... (But please ... remove those monstrous fronts ...) and then i put a dollhouses knobs ...

DSC_2852.jpg

DSC_2856.jpg

For windows, I did it with 1mm wood strips cutting at 45 degrees ... leaving an inner rim to put the plastic glass ...

DSC_2859.jpg

DSC_2860.jpg

And with the machine I design moldings to put on the top and bottom, to give a little more grace to the invention ... (This can be done by hand perfectly )

The hinges are those of the China box and others from another box that I had out there ...

DSC_2863.jpg

Now everything is varnished (before putting the glass of course ...) with semi-gloss varnish cherry color ... (I did some tests earlier in waste wood pieces to make sure for the color ...

DSC_2870.jpg

DSC_2875.jpg

Here I leave some photos of the diorama cabinet in tests ... As you can see everything is made to go seeing how gross distribution ... and testing of the wallpaper I want to use for the room ...

All the paperwork ... books ... packages ... and other well is hand made by my ...

DSC_2879.jpg

DSC_2880.jpg

DSC_2881.jpg

DSC_2883.jpg

DSC_2885.jpg

DSC_2886.jpg

And nothing else, I hope you like ... and that you become yours ... its not complicated ...

Very nice you made it look a lot better.

They sell similar items here in the states at craft stores and flea markets I think it's all made in China. Most usually need a little work to get them to look good enough for 1/6th but the stuff is inexpensive the wood soft and easy to work with.

I am really impressed with your work bench, did you build that as well? It's so clean and organized! LOL

You should do a thread on that some day.

Thank you gijoe...

Yes John, i make this case-workbench because 3 years ago a had Twins, plus the other girl thant now has 5... get all space in my house...

This case is on my dinning room, and when i need it i can close it in 10 minutes...

There is a lot of photos in my web, its make in 1cm plygood and its 80x60cm, suficient for my proyects...

Its has also a lighting system to use to take photos...

Here is the link to the case on my Web ( there is an online traductor on left menu called GTranslate... )

Are very clean on this photos... :lol: Now its quite dirty...

El Sotano Loco - Mi Maleta Taller

Here its an advance... :)

DSC_9596.jpg

DSC_9621.jpg

DSC_9634.jpg

DSC_9647.jpg

Thanks!
That is great stuff. I really need to build something similar here. Ever since I had my apartment done over I have done very little work indoors. My modeling stuff is very disorganized.

I notice the trains in the shadow box on the wall are those Z gauge or N? I worked in a hobby shop for ten years I always notice hobby items.

Thanks!
That is great stuff. I really need to build something similar here. Ever since I had my apartment done over I have done very little work indoors. My modeling stuff is very disorganized.

I notice the trains in the shadow box on the wall are those Z gauge or N? I worked in a hobby shop for ten years I always notice hobby items.

Thanks John

Yes, I also collect trains, this are Z scale, the other scales were too big for the space that i have now. Also have H0.

I am totally impressed with both your furniture and radio equipment and equally impressed with your hobby case, everything to make anyone in the hobby envious. Great work.

Back